I hardly even need braces! (pic)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jess214

#61 Post by jess214 »

Well this thread has just got ridiculous. I dont care if people have to pay for my braces from a tiny % of their wages. I will have to do the same when im older, so when you put it like that i will be paying for someone else to get braces, just as someone else paid for me to get mine. Its not being ungrateful at all.
If that were true, then could you explain why there are so many people on this board that pay for their braces on their own? (I'm excluding myself because I live in an entirely different country that does not have benefits like this for its citizens.) Do not take it as a sarcastic question - I'm asking purely out of curiousity.
Just because some people here are older, it doesnt automatically make you more mature, and it doesnt always make you right.
I see you haven't read my response to newmetal, or have somehow misunderstood it. The message I was trying to convey was not that you should especially take advice from older people more seriously just because they're "more mature".

My point is, since you've asked people here if they think it's worth all the time and pain for you to get braces, you should perhaps take their advice to heart and reconsider. A lot of people here got braces even when their teeth weren't "as bad" as some others, so they might've gone through the same feelings that you're going through, so they might be able to offer you their experiences. So in that way, they are more experienced and may "know better". (Notice the quotation marks when I say that.) I know when I told people that I was getting/got braces, they said that they didn't even know that I needed them and that they never noticed some of the problems that I had.

Personally, I hated my braces the first week as they gave me a grand total for 10+ cankersores all at the same time - I even asked myself "what the hell did I get myself into?" - but it's really worth it to see your teeth move into where they're supposed to be. It took me three months for my crowded teeth to straighten out, and just seeing them move with time really gives you a great sense of achievement.

And like I said earlier, you should be aware of the fact that if you take your braces out now, there may be a possibility that your teeth will keep shifting (like it did for me) and may cause even more troubles should you decide to get braces again later in life. By then, your treatment would take even longer than your treatment time now, and you may not have it paid for by the government anymore (though I'm not sure how government health care works for other countries).

Since you've asked, here's my advice: what I propose is that you stick with it for a few more months. One, you'll give yourself time to get used to the feeling of having braces and would stop detesting it as much as you do now, and two, you might even see your teeth move and feel a bit more reassured about the results that your braces would give you. But that's just what I think. Of course, the final decision is all yours.

Hopefully this reply isn't as harsh as my last. I just got really frustrated that someone would throw away such a great opportunity just because they don't think it's worth it while so many others would die for the same.

P.S. I sincerely apologize for referring to you as a she. Oops! :oops:
Last edited by jess214 on Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
braced w/ ceramic brackets & wire ligs - 28th Nov, 06
debanded! + Essix retainers - 5th Nov, 08

EazyE

#62 Post by EazyE »

Its not about being ungrateful or anything.
The fact is, when i smile, barely anyone even notices the couple of teeth that are misaligned (on the top row). So i have to endure most likely 3 years of my life (the best 3 years, 16, 17, 18) just to straigten out a few teeth which are unnoticeably out of line anyway. I had to have a tooth out before having the brace fitted to give the teeth room, (you might be able to notice from the pic) so over time the teeth will probably move themselves now they are not crowded.

jess214

#63 Post by jess214 »

Like I said, most of my friends didn't even notice that I needed braces, so they were really shocked when I told them. But I guess it's not as bad when you don't see it as a big deal yourself - for me, I was completely aware of my crowding and was really determined to have it fixed, regardless of whether or not other people noticed it.

Btw, to my knowledge, even though there is room for your teeth to move themselves out, they may move in a way that is undesirable (e.g. rotations, etc), but don't take my word for it. : P

P.S. I'm currently 20 and in university.. I wish I got braces earlier so I could've have them over and done with before my high school graduation. :( But to each their own, I guess.

BracesAgain

#64 Post by BracesAgain »

Your teeth are crooked and don't look good in my humble opinion. I'm honestly surprised that you're happy with them like that, but everyone is different.

EazyE

#65 Post by EazyE »

BracesAgain wrote:Your teeth are crooked and don't look good in my humble opinion. I'm honestly surprised that you're happy with them like that, but everyone is different.
I agree they look crooked in those pictures. But its unnoticeable when i smile.

jennielee81

#66 Post by jennielee81 »

Seriously, if you had a tooth pulled, don't get the braces removed!!!

That gap will never go away without braces.

Your teeth will not move into proper position on their own, if that were the case...people would just get a tooth pulled (or two or more) and then let the teeth move on their own nobody would need braces...as you can see that is not the case with anyone. This is not realistic and not possible.

Without the wire to gide them, the teeth will only shift a bit and into unpredictable places.

You're initial post stated 2 years, now you're saying 3...Did the ortho not give you an estimated time frame? IF not, then don't assume it'll be 3 years. Modern orthodontics work faster than you think and your teeth don't have all that far to travel. I'll bet it's not that long. Since you had an extraction, sometimes it can take a while to close a gap, though I don't see that gap in your pictures.

Again, good luck to you and I say STICK WITH IT!

As for the embarassing part: What part of the globe are you from? I ask because in the United States, it is FAR more embarassing to have crooked teeth for ever than to have braces for a couple of years. I would know...I lived with that embarassment.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

EazyE

#67 Post by EazyE »

Is there any chance my teeth will be straight by the end of the year?

jess214

#68 Post by jess214 »

EazyE, my teeth were straightened out in three months!

Here's the link to my progress pictures for the first three months - viewtopic.php?t=17228
(not the most appealing pictures, but it gives you an idea of how quickly braces could work, in the beginning anyway - not all people have the same speed of progress though)

At my most recent appointment, my dentist started working on closing my extraction gaps.
FYI: I had four bicuspids removed, one on each quadrant of my mouth.

So I'm guessing that your treatment would be shorter if you had less problems to begin with (e.g. openbite, under/overbite, etc)? I think the standard is at least a year though, because I don't have any of those other problems (apart from one tooth having a crossbite, if you can see it in the pictures) and was still told that my estimated treatment time would be about a year to a year and a half.

I don't mean to be stalking this topic, by the way. I can't help it if I get email updates whenever a reply's posted! : P

EazyE

#69 Post by EazyE »

jess214 wrote:
EazyE, my teeth were straightened out in three months!

Here's the link to my progress pictures for the first three months - viewtopic.php?t=17228
(not the most appealing pictures, but it gives you an idea of how quickly braces could work, in the beginning anyway - not all people have the same speed of progress though)

At my most recent appointment, my dentist started working on closing my extraction gaps.
FYI: I had four bicuspids removed, one on each quadrant of my mouth.

So I'm guessing that your treatment would be shorter if you had less problems to begin with (e.g. openbite, under/overbite, etc)? I think the standard is at least a year though, because I don't have any of those other problems (apart from one tooth having a crossbite, if you can see it in the pictures) and was still told that my estimated treatment time would be about a year to a year and a half.

I don't mean to be stalking this topic, by the way. I can't help it if I get email updated whenever a reply's posted! : P
Wow that is some crazy fast progress lol.
Thats encouraging, i dont think i have any bite issues. I'll have to get that round thing glued back on soon though, i just have a peice of metal wire there now which might start catching the inside of my cheek.
And i wouldnt care if you were stalking the thread, your advice is helpful lol.

macca

#70 Post by macca »

Hi Easy,

I was reading this topic and I'm sorry some of the replies posted are so negative against you. For a lad your age having braces is not an easy ride. I go through periods where I want my braces off as well as they can be annoying and I feel self-conscious about how they look.

I looked at your pictures and I would say that although your teeth are not that bad, braces will definitely improve your teeth a lot. The important thing is you have to decide for yourself if you want to go through with it. Are you getting stick from mates about having braces that makes you want to get them off??

There are people on this forum (myself included) from the UK who can relate to what you're going through and we're only too happy to help with advice.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

platinum

#71 Post by platinum »

Just get them off!

When I was in your age, I was offered braces. I did not want them and nobody could force them in to my mouth... I assume you were not tied to the chair when the braces were put in.

I was/am quite good looking so I wanted go around without any stupid things on my mouth. Braces do look bad... in my opinion.
My smile was okish. Now 15 years later I was finally ready to take them. I don't like them, but luckily I can switch to Invisalign later.

tommyfive

#72 Post by tommyfive »

EasyE,

Without having read all six pages of correspondence on this thread, but having seen your pics, at the risk of being a little bold here, I would say this: your teeth more poorly aligned than mine; if I had your teeth I would be wearing braces.

Now that you've gotten this far, I think you should just get used to them and let them do their work. Two years will pass in a flash and based on what I see in your pics I think you won't be sorry when it's over.

If you're worried about your 'friends' judging you or making fun of you for it, they're not real friends. This is a temporary thing, it's good for you, and straighter teeth are much easier to take care of.

EVERY SINGLE DENTIST AND ORTHO I've seen told me that although my SLIGHT misalignment, midline & crowding issues did not need correction in order to fix any bite problems, braces would improve the look of cosmetic veneers I will be getting, and in lieu of braces I would have to get my teeth reduced for veneers. I took the braces over having my teeth ground down any more than absolutely necessary.

They all told me that having orthodontic work done is a wonderful thing to do and to be able to do for yourself, even if it's purely cosmetic, and you must keep in mind that braces are NOT permanent. They will be off in no time, really!

At almost 40 years old, it took me years to come to my decision and now that it's done and the braces are on, I'm wondering what took me so long. I WISH my parents had made me wear braces as a kid, almost as much as I WISH they had forced me to take piano lessons.

Think about it this way:

If you get them taken off, you'll probably spend years of your life (maybe not right away, but later on) wishing you had followed through and completed the treatment. If you keep them on and get it done now, after it's over, there's almost no chance you'll look back sadly and wish you had had them removed. I think based on your pics, that you'll be really happy with the results.

STAY POSITIVE! There can be no opportunity before you which braces will prevent you from taking advantage of.

My two cents. I hope this helps.

T
-tommy
top arch braced 3/21/07
new wire on top 4/19
bottom arch braced 4/19
buccal tube lost on 5/4, replaced on 5/5
new bottom wire on 6/26 (I think)
top & bottom chains (round 1) installed on 7/24 (ouch)

prettybetty3

#73 Post by prettybetty3 »

After skimming through 6 pages of petty aruments...

PEOPLE...its not that serious, its only a message board! LOL Everyone is diffrerent with different opinions, it's what makes the world go 'round!

Easy,
There's no doubt you need em but if you don't want em, take em off sweetie and maybe in the future when you are ready you can change your mind....braces treatment won't be going anywhere, there will always be new developements in treatment, and hey maybe when you are finally ready there will be a more modern treatment that you will be happier with. ;) Good luck and let us know what you decide!

slender

#74 Post by slender »

A lot has been said.

In my opinion since you like your smile and doesn't hate your teeth also assuming you don't have bite issues. And your mind and heart is not set on wearing braces now on your teens, then you shouldn't have started at all. Braces requires a lot of time to care though it gets better/faster everyday!.

Now that the damage has been done, a tooth extraction, you should think doubly hard before deciding to have your brace (lower) removed.

ame_malia

#75 Post by ame_malia »

From reading all the posts, I can see that the posts have gotten slightly off topic, but I will respond anyhow. Your teeth aren't that bad. However, there is almost always room for improvement. As someone said earlier there is a chance that your teeth could shift and get worse. I am 21. I've had braces for about 6 months because last time I went to the dentist (about a year ago) he said something to the effect of "Hmm... you could use some braces" (This after my brother has already had them as a kid and my mom has asked if I need them as well, but he never bothered to say so when I was younger and insurance would have covered part of the cost)
If you absolutely hate having braces and are happy with your teeth, then why have them is my opinion, but if there is the tiniest part of you that thinks this will improve the overall looks and health of your teeth, then go through with it. I've found that braces aren't really all that painful, the hardest part for me being the spacers.
And just out of curiosity, you said that the government is paying for it... in what way? Is it health insurance or some other program? I wish it was something I could get, as my dental insurance stopped covering braces at 18, which is silly I think, but whatever.
Anyways, good luck with whatever you decide.