Lig colours (colors)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

catgyrl

#976 Post by catgyrl »

Jude

Those blue ligs are FAB!! Much nicer than the silver, and I like how you told them you would get them changed every 3 weeks or so. I asked my ortho's assistant if I could do that on visits that ran longer than 4 weeks, and she said, "I'm not sure...we'll have to ask the doctor." Well... He was not in a good mood that day, so when he came over, I caught her eye and shook my head "no", as in "nevermind". She was a little confused, but didn't pursue it. I guess I'll just wait until I get one of those appointments and see...

Great job!! By the way, check out the last post in my story from ashesgap...she linked to another story that showed hot pink ligs on ceramics. TOO FREAKIN COOL!

Cathy

BraceFace2o1o

#977 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I thought that ligs were changed every x amount of weeks (and not every 2/3 weeks) because as they are worn they 'loosen' up, so if you put new ligs on so often it can put extra pressure where it may not be needed?

You can read a bit about it here: http://www.archwired.com/Changing_Your_ ... atures.htm (although it's talking about changing your OWN ligatures, it does mention why changing so often isn't always a good idea).
When a ligature is used it begins to stretch and "decay" (as well as discolor). At this point the force applied to your teeth is "deactivating". This is normal and healthy. Many times at an adjustment, all we do is re-tie your ligatures.
So in other words, sometimes when you go for an appointment and just your ligs are changed, it is actually an 'adjustment'.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

ashesgap

#978 Post by ashesgap »

Chrystal makes a good point and you should ask your ortho about it. I know we spend a lot of money on these, but you can't demand things when it could hurt your treatment. Twice i've gone in for my appointments and all they've done is change my ligs out.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

VancouverJude

#979 Post by VancouverJude »

I hear you gals and I do feel a bit sheepish. You would think after all the studying I've done I might know better. I'll read up on it for sure and definitely talk to the ortho about options. Really glad to have the silver gone mind you.

Now I'm off to see if there's a discussion here about length between visits.

catgyrl

#980 Post by catgyrl »

Chrystal and ashesgap - excellent points. I do notice that right after they put new ligs on, it's very tight. And by the time I go in for my next adjustment the following months, I'm feeling nothing at all. Makes perfect sense that the added friction might hinder treatment.

Jude - that's why we gotta stick with the COLORS, girl!!! :D

-Cathy

catgyrl

3M Unitek Lig Color Palette

#981 Post by catgyrl »

Okay everyone... I may have something that will help us out with the chore that is "picking lig colors". I do realize that not all orthodontists order their ligs from the same company... and that lig colors have different names. But earlier this month I asked for, and was granted, permission to take a pic of the 3M Unitek Palette that my orthodontist has, which shows all the different colors he carries (and he carries pretty much all of them). Some of the names are a bit "scratched off" so I'll clarify them here: The beige-y colored one on the right is "Obscure" (supposed to be the discreet color), and below that is Kelly Green. Below that, moving clockwise, are "Deep Black, Light Blue, Dusty Blue. The "M." in front of a few of them stand for "Metallic". The rest are pretty easy to read, but if you need assistance, please let me know. I hope this helps you; it's helped me immensely.

P.S. I received permission from Lynn, the Board Administrator, to post this pic here.

-Cathy

ashesgap

#982 Post by ashesgap »

LOVE IT! These are the exact colors my ortho has. He has a little paper at each station with all the lig colors he has, and i took a pic of it but they're just so tiny, he uses one ring for each so we can see them. I use red every time, but of course i still sit there for ten minutes making sure thats the color i want. The only color i wish he had is Periwinkle. I saw it in one of the pics in this post, and its just so freak'n pretty, brighter than the light blue without being neon.
Thanks Catgyrl!
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

luchababe

#983 Post by luchababe »

Since I'm getting the clear brackets my top fronts, I think I'm going to get clear ligs, at least for the first 6 weeks. I hemmed and hawed about blue or pink or lavender. I drink 2-3 cups of coffee/tea a week total, have a spaghetti/chilli dinner once a week, have one tomato based soup and one can of coke a week. I don't smoke and don't like curry. As long as soy sauce doesn't stain I can still have my sushi and not worry!

I still have a week to go before getting them on so who knows how many more times I'll change my mind.

catgyrl

#984 Post by catgyrl »

VancouverJude wrote:I hear you gals and I do feel a bit sheepish. You would think after all the studying I've done I might know better. I'll read up on it for sure and definitely talk to the ortho about options. Really glad to have the silver gone mind you.

Now I'm off to see if there's a discussion here about length between visits.
Okay, I got the official answer... well, "official" according to my orthodontist:

I went in this morning to change out my pink ligs (just really was NOT feeling' them), and was told that because I only got them on a few days ago, it would be okay. However, had I gone in after 2 weeks or so, they would not have changed them because the ligs would've already been stretched out, and putting fresh ones on at that point would put too much friction on my teeth.

Chrystal - you were spot-on. I promised him I would never ask him to do that again. I even offered to put it in writing. :lol: He gave me a little rubber keyring thingie that had all (or most) of the lig colors on it so I could look at it at home... hold them up to my teeth... and hopefully would help with my chronic indecisiveness (he didn't say that last part, I did).

-Cathy

5oh9

#985 Post by 5oh9 »

RAINBOW!!! :lol:

retainerjoe

#986 Post by retainerjoe »

they look smashing :thumbsup:
http://community.webshots.com/user/head ... =community this link also has my video of me getting my braces

sadpanda

#987 Post by sadpanda »

5oh9 -

LOVE the rainbow. I'd be too scared to get that many colors at once. And...my ortho doesn't really seem to have any light/pastel colors except light blue.

5oh9

#988 Post by 5oh9 »

sadpanda wrote:5oh9 -

LOVE the rainbow. I'd be too scared to get that many colors at once. And...my ortho doesn't really seem to have any light/pastel colors except light blue.
Thanks!! :P I've got 3mths left to go so I made a huge decision to go wild with the rainbow colours. Thankgod it doesn't look weird. Its not pastel colors, the colors I've chosen are from the same 3M Unitek palette that Catgyl posted above. They are quite bright in color but when stretched,it turns light pastel in color. I've chosen plum crazy, radical red, screaming pink, orange blast, yellow, extreme green and teal.

5oh9

#989 Post by 5oh9 »

retainerjoe wrote:they look smashing :thumbsup:
Thank you! :D

trampswife

#990 Post by trampswife »

50h9,

Loooove it!!

Cannot wait to start this trip!! Son and I are deciding on colors already. He is going to go with blue to start. Me...RED. The Redder the better!!