Orthodontia For Dummies

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

serendipity

Orthodontia For Dummies

#1 Post by serendipity »

Greetings,

I've been in braces going on 5 months now and I'm abit shy to say I'm not up with the lingo like most people on this board are :oops:. I am usually left blinking at the screen in confusion when I see orthodonic related terms used in posts. I don't know if your orthodontist is like mine but I didn't exactly get a clear description of my condition - well not after the initial consultation anyway. (Who does absorb all that information at the consultation?) Me - I was eyeing off the giant braced model teeth mould propted - up in the corner of the room :huh:

Anyways, I googled some stuff and this is what I came up with - the cheat sheet (for the rest of us). I like to call it "Orthodontia For Dummies":

Definations:

Crossbite: Crossbite can occur in the front and/or the sides of the mouth. One or more upper teeth bite on the inside of the lower teeth. This can occur with a single tooth or multiple teeth. Early correction of crossbite is recommended.

Before:

After:

Openbite Openbite is an insufficient vertical overlap of the teeth. It is caused by oral habits such as tongue thrust, digit sucking, or when the jaws don't grow evenly. Timing of treatment is critical to the overall success of the therapy. Openbite can be corrected through growth modifcation of the jaws using braces; extrusion of the front and anterior teeth; and in some cases surgical correction of the jaws. Also, breaking oral habits such as digit sucking, will facilitate the correction of an openbite.

Before:

After:

Overbite occurs when the upper front teeth protrude over the lower front teeth. Generally there is no contact between the upper and lower front teeth. Often you cannot see the lower incisors. Overbite is due to a disproportionate amount of eruption of front teeth, or over development of the bone that supports the teeth, and a front to back discrepancy in the growth of the upper or lower jaw (Class II Relationship). Overbite is also known as a deep bite. Overbite can be corrected through moving the front teeth up and/or bringing the back teeth together, which will "open" the bite so the teeth are properly aligned and the deep bite is eliminated.

Before:

After:

Overjet is also known as protrusion. It is where the lower teeth are too far behind the upper front teeth. This can be caused by an improper alignment of the molars (Class II Relationship); a skeletal imblance of the upper and lower jaw; flared upper incisors; missing lower teeth; or a combination of all the above. In addition, oral habits such as thumb or finger sucking or tongue thrusting can exacerbate the condition.
Overjet can be corrected through growth modification using a functional appliance and/or elastics to reduce the skeletal imbalance or extraction of teeth.

Before:

After:

Underbite The lower teeth protrude past the front teeth. An underbite is usually caused by undergrowth of the upper jaw, overgrowth of the lower jaw, or a combination of the two (Class III Relationship). Underbite can also be caused by flared upper incisors, missing lower teeth or a combination of all the above. Early correction of underbite is recommended.

Impacted Teeth Impactions can be caused by improper positioning of the developing tooth bud. This can cause the tooth to fail to erupt into the mouth. Impactions can also be caused by early loss of primary teeth or crowding of teeth. Wisdom teeth are the most commonly impacted teeth, but canines and premolars are also commonly impacted. How can impacted teeth be orthodontically corrected?
Usually the impacted tooth is exposed and over the course of a few months and brought into the correct position of the mouth. Correction of impacted teeth may involve a minor surgical procedure performed by an oral surgeon working closely with our practice. This will allow us to then guide eruption of the impacted tooth into proper position.

Crowding Crowding is the lack of space for all the teeth to fit normally within the jaws. The teeth may be twisted or displaced. Crowding occurs when there is disharmony in the tooth to jaw size relationship, or when the teeth are larger than the available space. Crowding can be caused by early or late loss of primary teeth, or improper eruption of teeth. How can crowding be orthodontically corrected?Extra space can be created by expansion of the arches or extraction of teeth. Once space is created, braces will eliminate the crowding and align the teeth. Correction of crowding can help prevent dental decay and periodontal disease by improving the ability to remove plaque from the teeth

Spacing Spacing, the opposite of crowding, is an excess of space for your teeth, resulting in gaps between your teeth. This generally occurs when the teeth are smaller than the available space. Spacing can also be caused by protrusive teeth, missing or impacted teeth, or abnormal tissue attachments to the gums. How can spacing of the teeth be orthodontically corrected? The spaces can be closed by moving the teeth together and properly aligning them within the arch.

Classification Of The Face

Maxillary-Mandibular Dental
Protrusion - Class 1

[This is an example of a dental malocclusion that may require the removal of teeth for correction.]

Maxillary-Mandibular Dental
Retrusion - Class 1

[This is an example of a dental malocclusion that may be treated with expansion rather than removing teeth.]

Maxillary Dental
Protrusion - Class 2

[This malocclusion may require the removal of teeth.]

Mandibular Retrognathism
Class 2

[The lower jawbone has not grown as much as the upper jaw. This example of a Class II malocclusion demonstrates the need for early growth guidance.]

Maxillary Dental Protrusion - teeth
& Mandibular Retrognathism - jaws
Class 2

[These Class malocclusions are more difficult to treat due to the skeletal disharmony and may require orthognathic surgery in conjunction with orthodontic treatment.]

Mandibular Dental Protrusion
Class 3

The lower teeth are too far in front of the upper teeth. This malocclusion is treated with orthodontic procedures which may require the extraction of teeth due to the dental protrusion.

Mandibular Prognathism - jaws:
Class 3

[The lower jaw bone has outgrown the upper jaw. This malocclusion is more difficult to treat due to the skeletal disharmony and may require orthognathic surgery in conjunction with orthodontic treatment.]

Hope you found that intresting as I did (and maybe alittle comical...the faces on those GIFS are a crack up :biglaf: ).

~serendipity~ :computer:
"Welcome to wherever you are - this is your life, you've made it this far..."

In Braces for 15 months - Debanded Feb 07
Am I Enjoying It? "Hell Yes!"

Evelyn

#2 Post by Evelyn »

That's awesome!!! Great work-I love the faces too lol they had me laughing
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

bajanrose

#3 Post by bajanrose »

Good work, I'm a dummy when it comes to the terms, so this has been a big help!
TPA (July 27th 05 - Feb 28th 06)7 months 1 day!
Nance (March 1st - Jan 31st 07)

After a total of 22 months and 12 days, I am braces free!

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

Thank you for your post!! It's great! :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

bbsadmin

#5 Post by bbsadmin »

These terms are all on the main ArchWired site. I don't have a glossary of terms here because it would be duplication. But thank you for your efforts! :thumbsup:
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Betty Bat

#6 Post by Betty Bat »

I couldn't find the terms on the main Archwired site using SEARCH - I tried "open bite", "open", "closed bite", "closed", and "malocclusion ". I found them all under the FAQ, but it was a little difficult to locate. Is this something temporary with the search capability?

dena

#7 Post by dena »

i know there is lots of useful stuff on the main page, too, but could we keep this thread posted in this board as a permanent thread at the beginning? it would just be there as a quick reference to people and those pics are really useful too.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

BraceFace12

#8 Post by BraceFace12 »

Thanx so much for your book. Believe me at the beginning of my treatment I was just like you and I did the same thing at my consulatation. I stared at the fake teeth with braces. LOL. They gave me a quiz on the parts after the braces and I wasn't paying attention. I was too focused on my mouth feeling so weird and then they quizzed me on it. When they asked my about something I pointed in a general direction and they counted it right. LOL. I passed.
Top Braces-8-12-04
Oral Surgery-6-3-05
Bottom Braces-11-15-05
Braces Off-8-22-06!

No smile is as beautiful as the one that struggles through the tears.

serendipity

#9 Post by serendipity »

Your welcome.

Glad you enjoyed the thread. :wink:
"Welcome to wherever you are - this is your life, you've made it this far..."

In Braces for 15 months - Debanded Feb 07
Am I Enjoying It? "Hell Yes!"

camusx

#10 Post by camusx »

:lol:
Thank you , I did not know what most of those terms meant! :-)

Missingorigin

#11 Post by Missingorigin »

Thanks, That helped me.

bbsadmin

#12 Post by bbsadmin »

Betty Bat wrote:I couldn't find the terms on the main Archwired site using SEARCH - I tried "open bite", "open", "closed bite", "closed", and "malocclusion ". I found them all under the FAQ, but it was a little difficult to locate. Is this something temporary with the search capability?
Yes, this is all in the FAQ.

At the moment the Search box isn't working on the main ArchWired site. It's a problem with the site host which I hope will be fixed soon. Anyway, yes it is all in the FAQ! Threre is also a lot of info about these sort of things on the Links page.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Solase

Vote for Sticky

#13 Post by Solase »

Good Work! I vote for a sticky on the thread :wink: