Lack of progress is a little frustrating

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

brittonrs26

Lack of progress is a little frustrating

#1 Post by brittonrs26 »

Good morning everybody-

Well, I have had braces for a little over 15 1/2 months and I am still in phase 2! Only my ligs have been changed in the adjustments in the last 10 months. I was seeing such great progess at the beginning, but now it seems like I am making little progress if any.

I was supposed to have a detail appointment at my last adjustment, but all I had was a lig change! I was told at the appointment before that I was most likely going to have x-rays done and a set of new wires. I will be 31 years old next month and I am getting a bit tired of being mistaken for a 13 year old. In fact, the last time I ate out, I was offered a children's menu (which is only offered to children 12 and under). It seems like there is no end in sight. My teeth were not that bad to begin with--I was finished with phase one in 2 months with my top arch and 3 months with my bottom arch (my tops were bonded first and then my bottoms were bonded a few months later).

I know I shouldn't be complaining as I know that there are some members on the board that have been in braces for 3 years or more. I just hope that I am still on target for a December deband date. My orthodontist assures me that everything is looking well, but I can't help but to be jealous of others who have already been debanded. I don't have any photos available yet, but I will post them as soon as they are available.

Thank you for having this forum and allowing me to vent. Maybe I will have some good news at my next appointment on April 17.

Rebekah

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

Hi,

Keep in mind that the first few months are usually the months where you see the most change. Once your teeth are aligned, it's hard to notice change...trust your ortho ;)

Hopefully you will be debanded by december!! And hopefully you will get more than a lig change on your next appointment.

Keep us posted :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

ingyandbert

#3 Post by ingyandbert »

Believe me, I know how you feel. When I was younger, I was always mistaken for 10 years younger than I was. In my early 20s, people used to think I was in junior high. After I graduated college, they’d ask what high school I went to. I know it’s frustrating because you want to feel respected as an adult and not treated as a child. That’s understandable. But let me tell you, the day will come when you welcome being mistaken for much younger. In the meantime, try not to let it bother you. A few years ago (before I was married), I went to visit my husband where he was living at the time and meet his friends for the first time. He and I got a big kick out of the fact that a rumor had gotten started that he was "robbing the cradle" with his new girlfriend. He is only 4 years older than me but people thought I was 15 years younger than I really am. When they found out my actual age, they also got a big laugh out of it. Now both he and I could have been insulted by this friends reaction, but instead we saw the humor in it.

As far as your results go, I agree with Karen. Progress is most dramatic in the beginning and the changes after that are often not readily visible. If your ortho says you’re still on track, then trust him or her. Just keep the communication going so that you know what changes are occurring and when you can expect to be finished.

godawgs

#4 Post by godawgs »

i hope you have some good news/changes at your next adjustment.

what are "phases?" and how do u know when you're done with one?
Braces on March 7, 2006
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 mos
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=10032

brittonrs26

#5 Post by brittonrs26 »

Everyone-

Thank you so much for your encouragement. It is such a blessing to have a community of people like you guys who understand everything I am experiencing.

Godawgs-

There are five phases in treatment:

Phase I is alignment, which ends when the teeth in the arch are in a
curve.

Phase II is leveling, where the top teeth are aligned with the bottom
teeth.

Phase III is Molar Position, where molars are brought into proper
position (at least as much as possible).

Phase IV is to achieve space closure.

Phase V is finishing, where the orthodontist does all of the final tweaks
before debanding.

You will know that you are at the end of a phase and beginning a new phase (at least in most cases) when the orthodontist changes your arch wire. Each type of wire accomplishes different things.

I have included a link below to a website that someone had shared earlier on the board that has a lot of great information. It is a tad technical though (lots about the physics around tooth movement), which I find fascinating, but all of the phases are documented very thoroughly.

Here is the link: http://www.unc.edu/depts/appl_sci/ortho ... t/one.html

Good luck to you on your journey!

Rebekah

kirst1583

#6 Post by kirst1583 »

brittonrs26 wrote:
There are five phases in treatment:

Phase I is alignment, which ends when the teeth in the arch are in a
curve.

Phase II is leveling, where the top teeth are aligned with the bottom
teeth.

Phase III is Molar Position, where molars are brought into proper
position (at least as much as possible).

Phase IV is to achieve space closure.

Phase V is finishing, where the orthodontist does all of the final tweaks
before debanding.
Wow - I never realised any of this. It's great news though as I was told I have less than 6 mths left. Going by this I appear on track... having all gaps closed and commencing phase V about 2mths ago!

Geri

#7 Post by Geri »

Thanks very much for the info about the phases of treatment. I guess I am on phase 1 after six months.

I can totally sympathise with your feelings but don't get discouraged - your braces will be off before you know it and then you'll have a lifetime to enjoy your smile. :D
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

fins

#8 Post by fins »

I don't know if this helps, but I think my ortho has been working on phases 2, 3 and 4 simultaneously. I am always getting something new when I go in. Wonder what it will be at the next appointment?

Pugugliez

#9 Post by Pugugliez »

I have had my braces on for not even one month and I'm already frustrated. I wish this whole process goes a lot faster than I've been told. Maybe I can will my teeth to move faster.

CLAmom

#10 Post by CLAmom »

Pugugliez

That's a big ditto for me, too. I've had mine on just over a month and even though I've noticed some movement (my upper central incisors no longer overlap) I just wish it would go quicker. Here I am only 1/24th of the way through treatment and I am complaining already. I think it helps to know in detail what your ortho's plan is so you can have some milestones to look forward to. I plan to grill him at my first adjustment in a week or so. I definitely did not get enough information to start with. I also realize this is a slow process and for good reason. But I'm just impatient to see an improvement in my bite. I think it's time for another sip of wine! :roll:

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"