eating with extractions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

blueberry

eating with extractions

#1 Post by blueberry »

after i got home yesterday, i ate some spagetti in tomato sauce, out of a tin, and that was ok, then i had supernoodles that was ok, but today i braved a coconut macaroon, ouch! it didnt hurt really, it just felt like it did when those nasty shards of coconut brushed past my poor little clotted sockets (yumm!) but, my greed yet again got the better of me and it was really very uncomfortable but i managed! im not giving up my love of food! its really hard to chew with 4 teeth missing wasnt expecting it to be, it coz they are at two different places top and bottom.... i hope it gets better :( im having curry tonight ill see how it goes, i can just imagine all those little grains of rice rolling inbetween my teeth, ohhhh :shock:

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

I am glad to hear that you are staying positive and not staying away from food. It can only get better from now on :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

JumpTheDitch

#3 Post by JumpTheDitch »

... rice... noodles... bread... fruit..... pretty much anything you eat really!

OK, it's not that bad but it does take some getting used to. I really don't chew my food at all these days.. :oops:
(But then, only the edge of one upper molar makes contact with the metal side-ledge of the lower band rather than with teeth. Chewing sort of requires two surfaces to chew with!)

I had two upper second bicuspids extracted two months ago. I don't know how much different it is when you've had four extractions but with two I've definitely noticed all the food rushes to the gaps and tries to hide in there. Most disconcerting.

Like it knows it's going to be crushed to bits and swallowed and digested and it's trying to escape it's fate.... :shock:

rsprouse

#4 Post by rsprouse »

JumpTheDitch wrote:... rice... noodles... bread... fruit..... pretty much anything you eat really!
Stay away from small and iritating chunks of foods for a few days (Like Rice!!). It is very easy to get a grain of rice or a chunk of coconut stuck in your extraction site which can lead to an infection or iritation. Trust me, a post op infection is not fun and if you can avoid it then do so. Take it easy for a few days and stick to soft food. Then you can return to whatever floats your boat.

Best,
Rory

nimo

#5 Post by nimo »

Stay away from anything pointy! It's been almost 2 weeks since my extractions (wisdom teeth and 2 premolars), and I tried to eat a cheez-it last night...that was a no go. Too hard to chew, and kept poking me in the gums.

I've been limiting myself since i got my spacers in, and that was about two weeks before braces. But really, I haven't had to give up much. I still eat rice, I still eat Thai food (mmmmmmmm, curry). The things I miss are sandwiches and things that are kind of big bites (like whole pieces of sushi). I can't bite into anything (hurts/feels too weird), and there's just not enough room in my mouth.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

dena

#6 Post by dena »

definitely keep eating good stuff. just be really careful not to get anything in the extraction holes (as best you can at least.) it really does get better!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

godawgs

#7 Post by godawgs »

blueberry, you sound just like me! i won't let braces, extractions, whatever interfere with my love of food. i even started eating pita chips only days after my extraction. it's been 3 wks since and i'm pretty much used to eating now. but yes, the first few days of adjusting to food falling into the gaps was really annoying.

which teeth did u get pulled?
Braces on March 7, 2006
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 mos
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=10032

Missingorigin

#8 Post by Missingorigin »

WOw, im suprised to hear this. I didnt had trouble eating after my 4 extractions. I ate anything. It is hard to get used to have four holes especially when you eat. but after a while, you wont even notices. Good luck.

bbsadmin

#9 Post by bbsadmin »

I remember that it felt really strange at first and I was chewing very carefully and eating soft food. But that phase only lasted a week or two. Soon the powerchains were pulling the teeth together and the gaps began disappearing. They were only tender for a few weeks, then it was not too much of a problem.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

blueberry

#10 Post by blueberry »

thanks everyone for your replies! sorry i took so long getting back to you ben very busy house hunting!

im having to chew with my front teeth wichi is really hard as they dont meet properly anyway, my jaw is aching! the rice was annoying but i ate quorn instead of chicken so it wasnt chewy i was just swallowing BIG lumps of the stuff! i love to eat big bites but now i cant:( oh well persevere!
godawgs i got my first premolars from the bottom, and my second premolars on the top, so theres no way i can chew its like the main teeth i used to chew and they are gone :( cant wait to get the braces on and get the gaps closed!
i remember having wobbly teeth now and then gaps, but at least the teeth re-grew quite quickly, its a bit sad knowing them teeth are gone forever. i have question.. can i use listerine mouth wash, i had the extractions on tuesday?
i can taste the slight tang of blood all the time its not nice, they have clotted well and im please they are healing nicely.
here some (verry blurry) pics...
thanks for the replies everyone, and bring on april 4th!
bluberry

zbbelgium

#11 Post by zbbelgium »

I had 4 extractions on Weds (teeth 4 on top, 5 on bottom) and still finding it difficult to eat. tend not to chew food so wearing out forks with all my mashing! Doc told me to use a mouthwash after each meal to rinse out mouth properly and so far things seem to be healing well - I used isobetadine for the first 2 days now Oral-b.

Any idea how long it takes to close the gaps?

Idislikebraces

#12 Post by Idislikebraces »

In Sept of 05 I got my 2nd to last molars on top extracted! (might I add I had already gotten my braces) I didnt want to be put to sleep so I just had anetisia...(sp?) nd whos my right one wasnt wanting to come out so the oral surgeon is like "Get me a.." nd said some letters nd numbers...I was like "what is he doing" so I went to Target after that...talk bout nasty...lol but i got home nd took off the gauze nd realized that he had cut my gum!! nd I could feel my bone...eww it was sooo disturbing! But I had to keep on changing my gauze nd what not nd I ate chicken dumplings but having just gotten them extracted it didnt taste to good, but soon I got used to it! My ortho just started to close gaps and pull my teeth back this week! Today they are already almost closed!! She says my teeth move quickly so I think thats why but they will be closed in no time!! :o
August 10, 2005
Ceramic Uppers and Metal Bottoms!
A few months later a Nance Appliance.
anddd nowwww:
De bonding on October 23, 2007!