? About Extractions Done Only on Upper Teeth & Not on Bo

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pinkants

? About Extractions Done Only on Upper Teeth & Not on Bo

#1 Post by pinkants »

Hiyo everyone,

I went to two different orthodontists and one ortho informed me that I must have two upper and two lower teeth extracted. This made sense as it would keep things even, right?

The other ortho told me that I only needed two upper teeth extracted. This is the ortho I went with, and I'm getting a little nervous now. I mean, are things going to be nice and even if I have more teeth on the bottom than on the top?

So, if anyone has had two upper teeth extracted and not the two lower ones (or vice versa), I'd love to hear your experience/results. Did things still turn out as you had expected?

Thank you!

momof2grlz

#2 Post by momof2grlz »

I've only had 2 upper extractions to make room to retract my overjet. Hope it works but my treatment is far from finished so I can't say for sure yet.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

pinkants

Thanks!

#3 Post by pinkants »

Thanks, Chris! It's always reassuring to know that there are others in similar situations! :D

I'm definitely excited (and a bit nervous) about these braces. This website has been great help!

~pinky

JumpTheDitch

#4 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Hey pinkants,

I'm in the same boat as chris; two upper second bicuspids extracted to correct overjet. I'm only two months into treatment so I hope it works too! I did think it was a little weird to be left with two less teeth in the upper arch compared to the lower but I don't really mind. It does seem a little unbalanced but I'd rather that than the overjet; unless compulsory teeth-counting is introduced, I don't think anyone's going to notice!

I did find it a little disturbing that the overjet was significant enough to support two less teeth in the upper arch whilst the lower remained all present and accounted for - bring on the power chains!

Good luck!

Traceface

#5 Post by Traceface »

Hello pinkants,

I'm in the exact same position as you are. For me, I believe it would make sense to have two upper, and two lower teeth extracted because of the crowding, but he assured me I only need the two upper teeth extracted. I'm sorry I can't help you much :lol: . It just felt nice to read
about someone in a similar situation!

dena

#6 Post by dena »

During one of the consults I went to before I chose my ortho, that ortho said he'd remove just one of my bottom front teeth--that totally freaked me out, but I've learned since that every ortho really has a different way of doing things.

My ortho had me have 4 teeth removed. However, I have (had!) bad crowding on the bottom--click onto my blog if you want to see pics. It will probably be reassuring--it makes sense that I definitely needed teeth removed on the bottom, too.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

poloaa

#7 Post by poloaa »

hi there, i need to have two upper teeth extracted done on apr.18, no bottom ones cus my bottom arch is too small already. I am sooooo nervous everday. Good luck to u.

Po

samantha_lou

#8 Post by samantha_lou »

I lost two upper bicuspids as a child/teen, the dentist removed them due to overcrowding as per my childhood ortho's instructions...my current ortho was less than impressed about this, but there are no plans to remove the lost teeth's counterparts on the bottom arch. I guess we'll be working with what we have left!

Flora2006

#9 Post by Flora2006 »

My friend had her 2 lower 2nd bicuspid removed only. Her teeth turned out great so don't worry about it. You ortho knows what he's doing ;)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

BlueeyedManda

#10 Post by BlueeyedManda »

To fix my overbite I was given two options, a distal jet for 6-8 months or extract two teeth on top. The extractions take less time and will be easier than having a plate on the roof of my mouth. I do alot of speaking at my job. Plus I am getting married next May and would like to be finished with my treatment by then. I had an appointment on Friday and they popped off the two brackets on top where I will be getting teeth removed. I am in your boat so I can help in the future.