Braces on March 15th!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Solase

Braces on March 15th!

#1 Post by Solase »

Hi all,

I wanted to thank all the moderators and contributors to this forum. I actually found this forum on March 14th while at work, but was unable to register due to my company blocking external email sites. The information I read through help prepare me for getting my braces put on the following day and I'm now in the phase of getting used to the braces. I've had the self ligating Damon braces installed and man am I happy. I've read so many painful stories about the old type of braces that I was really worried it would hurt more. Now, I'm worried that they don't hurt enough, lol. It maybe due to the fact that I just had them installed and they may not start putting heavy tension on them till my first adjustment in May, but I'm able to eat chicken tenders, small size cereals, etc.. without too much complication.

My question for those who've had self ligating braces installed, did it also seem not too painful the first week? I'm just concerned that maybe they didn't tension them correctly and it will cost me more time in these things than necessary.

Thanks,

PH

Solase

#2 Post by Solase »

Thanks Linda,

My orthodontist has a lot of kids that work for him. They do a lot of the little things that don't require him or a more knowledgeable person to do (ie. taking molds, answer the phone, etc..). The only complaint I have is that they have a lady answering questions who is just giving a generic relayed response. "Oh yeah, that's normal...." I guess next time I need to ask to speak with someone more knowledgeable or something. I just don't feel there's enough tension on my teeth and I'm having to wait 2 months to confirm or deny this really, sigh.

Honestly, the braces give me a puffy upper lip and the kick stands in my mouth give me a slight speech empediment. I really just want to be in these things the time it takes and not prolong the time by waiting 2 months for the orthodontist to say, 'Oh, you need more tension' or something.

By the way, is there anyone who can explain in more detail how self ligating braces work? Does the wire try to return to a straight line or something and therefore continuously puts pressure on the teeth in accordance to this?

Solase

#3 Post by Solase »

linda21 wrote:The answer you are looking for is in this link (I feel like Morpehous from "The Matrix" :lol: ) - http://www.ormco.com/damon/theSystem/pa ... tion02.cfm
Woah! That helps a bunch! I read through many websites, watched the videos, and googled a lot, but nothing I found directly related to how the Damon braces work. I'm really impressed with the system and I'm glad they're out! So many people have told me their horror stories with traditional braces that I prepared for the worst when I got my Damons. This makes me feel a lot more at ease. I do wish they put more pressure on my uppers still as I have a fat lip until the braces move to at least where my teeth were to begin with.

Thank you again for the Linda! You're a doll! :D