Wisdom teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rockexrolloh

Wisdom teeth

#1 Post by rockexrolloh »

Hey guys. My first consultation with my ortho was in early March. He told me that my wisdom teeth had not come in yet but they probably would never fully come in since I'm already 18. He said I should consider getting them out but I don't necessarily need to have it done right now and could wait until after my treatment. But I don't even get my braces until June.
I know a few people that have had their wisdom teeth out when they weren't in all the way and had to dig into the gums to get them out. I'm scared to death of any kind of surgery and do not do well with things like this. I really don't want for them to have to cut out chunks of my gums to get to my wisdom teeth. It makes me nauseous just thinking about it.
Anyways, last night I noticed that one of my wisdom teeth has actually started to come in. Perfect timing, huh? It hurts so bad and I noticed it is coming in on the side of my gums. I don't know if maybe I should go ahead and get them out before my braces or not.
My mom had braces when she was in her 30s [about 13 years ago] and has never had her wisdom teeth out. But she doesn't seem to remember if it really made a difference.
Do any of you have your wisdom teeth and braces? I just want to know if it's made any kind of difference and what your experience has been!

sydsmom

#2 Post by sydsmom »

I had my wisdom teeth removed "surgically" about 3 years ago. They had never erupted through the gum, and were growing in sideways (which is common) and causing all kinds of problems.

I know the prospect of surgery seems frightening. I was scared to death! But it turned out to be rather like a 15-minute nap. Didn't feel a thing! And I had almost no pain and no problems whatsoever afterwards.

I would strongly recommend getting them removed if your ortho thinks you should. They can literally ruin all the ortho work you're going to have done if your jaw is not large enough to accommodate them. Mine isn't even large enough to accommodate the teeth I have, much less any wisdoms!

Good luck with your decision.
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06

nimo

#3 Post by nimo »

If they weren't bothering you or going to affect your treatment, I would say leave them alone. Mine never bothered me, and all three had erupted. The problem was that they had only partially erupted, so it was hard to brush them and they were getting cavities. Plus I had zero room for movement in my mouth, so something had to come out.

If they do start to bother you, then why not get them out now? I've heard plenty of horror stories about getting wisdom teeth taken out, but my experience was amazingly easy. Almost no pain, and no complications at all.

Wisdom teeth extractions seem to be one of those icky things that everyone has to go through (unless you're lucky like my husband and just don't have any wisdom teeth at all). I feel like it's better to get the nasty things out of the way so you don't have to spend any more time worrying about it.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

SmileyGirl

#4 Post by SmileyGirl »

I had my wisdom teeth surgically taken out at around 17. I also didn't have enough room for them to erupt. It really was just like a 15 minute nap. They gave me some codeine for any pain and I mostly just slept for a couple days afterward. I looked like a chipmunk for about a week, with a little yellowish brusing around my jaw. All in all, I am so glad I had it done because I haven't had to worry about them, and now that I'm much older and just got braces, that's one less thing that I have to have done now.

Flora2006

#5 Post by Flora2006 »

My advise is to get them removed.

I still have my wisdom teeth in, they haven't erupted at all and I am 22. My ortho said it doesn't matter if they aren't taken out, and my dentist wants to remove them after the braces are off because right now, my widsom teeth are very close to the nerve and damage is a possiblity...but I think I will get them out next year (instead of in 2 years) because I do not want them to cause any crowding in any way once the braces are off.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Leslie022

#6 Post by Leslie022 »

My Wisdom teeth didn't start coming in until I was 19 or 20. I still have my wisdom teeth but I am planning to have them removed eventually.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

paw655

#7 Post by paw655 »

Would it be consistent with your treatment plan to only have the one painful tooth removed? If the rest seem "comfortably lodged" in your mouth and the ortho doesn't think they will cause a problem, maybe they can extract just the one that is already erupting and causing a prob and let the others do their thing when they are ready.

Just an idea.

wearetheborg

#8 Post by wearetheborg »

Do u need to have the wisdom teeth takrn out ?
I had them taken out in late 20s as they were giving trouble, but u may be fine with them. Also, as u are still a kid, it should not be a problem to have them taken out later.

Oh, and extraction of wisdom teeth is almost painless (u will have to e on soft foods for a week tho). Braces and spacers on the other hand --- the pain is so excruciating, its almost beautiful :twisted:

rockexrolloh

#9 Post by rockexrolloh »

Good idea Paw655. I'm not sure if they will even want to remove it but I am going to mention it at my next appt. It sure is swollen and sore.
And wearetheborg my ortho said I don't really have to have them out right now. I go to a new dentist on the 12th so I'll see what his opinion is. I was just worried that maybe it would cause trouble with my treatment. My mom is 43 and had braces about 13 years ago and has never had any of her wisdom teeth out; her teeth look great!
And hopefully braces aren't as bad as you say! haha. :dance:

JumpTheDitch

#10 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I guess that makes me the odd one out here :lol: ; I have full upper and lower metal braces (including eight molar bands), and still have all four of my wisdom teeth with no intention of parting with them!

I was lucky; didn't have any trouble with them coming through, they're basically pretty straight and my ortho problems aren't related to crowding so they can stay right where they are. My ortho did say it was pretty unusual for an adult to have all 32 teeth with sufficient room, and no impacting, etc.

That said, I did have to have two x upper second bicuspids removed to make room to correct an overjet, but again, the problem wasn't wisdom-tooth-related; taking wisdom teeth out would have made no difference to the overjet. Taking the bicuspids out meant the ortho could band the first and second molars and pull all the other teeth back; deleting the overjet. At least, I think that's the plan!

I'm glad, I kinda like having my wisdom teeth.... :wink:

materialsgirl

#11 Post by materialsgirl »

I only ever developed 3 wisdom teeth, and all of them turned out to be severely impacted. I had the 2 lower ones surgically removed, which involved cutting into the gums and jawbone. The "15-minute nap" description is pretty accurate - I was out cold for the whole thing, didn't feel or remember any of it. The aftermath, however, was not nearly so pleasant. I was in pain for a good 6 weeks. I believe that my experience is rather unusual though. I have friends who had their wisdom teeth out in the morning, and by evening were eating pizza and potato chips. I was on the mashed potatoes and applesauce diet for quite some time. ;)

Also, I never had my upper wisdom tooth removed because it is located so far up in my jaw, the roots are almost in my sinus cavity - to have it removed would be major surgery. Since it isn't bothering me, my dentist and I have agreed it should stay right where it is.

So, if your wisdom teeth aren't bothering you, and it doesn't look like they're going to move anymore, then I would just let them be. If you do have to have them removed, it's probably going to be a piece of cake for you, since they're already partially exposed - don't sweat it. :)