Broke metal band -- what to do ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wearetheborg

Broke metal band -- what to do ?

#1 Post by wearetheborg »

Ortho office will be closed for a couple of days.
I was bad, and decided today to test whether I could eat tortilla chips. Made some nice guacomole. Broke one of the molar bands - the inside is still glued, but outside its broken, and off the tooth.
Any suggestions on what to do these two days?

Dam, no chips+guacamole for two years now :cry:

missing_tooth

#2 Post by missing_tooth »

If you call your othro their message machine may have a pager number for emergencies. If so I would call that.

- Missing Tooth -

Way Too Old For This

#3 Post by Way Too Old For This »

It must not have been attached correctly. It should have glue all the way around the tooth, otherwise food can get under the band.

I eat tortilla chips all the time (or at least when my teeth aren't hurting too much) and haven't had any problems.

Don't have a suggestion for what to do in the meantime though. Try to keep it from tearing up your cheek with was maybe.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

bckydgardnr

#4 Post by bckydgardnr »

How long have you been braced? A tortilla chip should not have broken a molar band. I eat just about everything except popcorn and I have not had any problems.
Good luck, and I would try tortilla chips again if you really love them, just work your way up.
:D Gardnr
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05

wearetheborg

#5 Post by wearetheborg »

I've been braced about 4 weeks now, I was supposed to have my next adjustment this coming friday -- hence I decided to test eating tortilla chips :oops:
The band was glued all the way around, but I guess because of my messed up bite, the top molar was hitting the outside of the lower molar band, and this caused the band to break and come off on the outside.
I will not be eating tortilla chips anytime soon, the wire on the other side became bent too.
Are potato chips also bad ?

wearetheborg

#6 Post by wearetheborg »

KK wrote:wearetheborg I eat tortilla, corn and other types of potato chips (crisps) and the only problem is the amount of them that gets stuck in my grill.
Lucky bastard :-(*