I have a canker sore the size of Idaho!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Icesk8er

I have a canker sore the size of Idaho!

#1 Post by Icesk8er »

Ok, this is ridiculous. I finally get my ortho to cut off the offending hook on my left bottom braces that was jamming into my cheek repeatedly and now I've developed a HUGE canker sore with it's own area code on my right inside cheek. I've tried everything, salt water, gly-oxide, perolyx, Biotene...nothing is giving me any relief. Any other ideas out there?????!?!??!??

Way Too Old For This

#2 Post by Way Too Old For This »

You can try my newest remedy. Antacids, like rolaids or Pepto Bismol. Worked great for me my last go round.

Mind didn't have their own area code, just zip code. But I had multiple 'zones'.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

Seriously, I am the queen of canker sores! My whole life I've had one a week or MORE. All of the above suggestions can help to heal the one you have, but You might like to try and prevent getting future sores! You need to use toothpaste that does not contain sodium laural sulfate. some people (me included) are sensitive to Sodium Laural Sulfate and it causes the inside of those people's mouths to develop canker sores with little injuries where most other people don't.

My recommendation is Rembrandt for Canker Sores. Here's a link to some feedback on it, also a link to a canker sore website. I buy it from CVS, RiteAid and from drugstore.com. It's worth a try!!!http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod. ... 67&tab=1#1
http://www.archwired.com/canker_sore.htm

I am REALLY sorry to hear your sore is so big... I can truly tell you that I 've not had a single canker sore in the last 16 months. This toothpaste won't help heal the one you have, but it SHOULD prevent future sores!!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

wearetheborg

Re: I have a canker sore the size of Idaho!

#4 Post by wearetheborg »

Icesk8er wrote: now I've developed a HUGE canker sore with it's own area code on my right inside cheek. I
Ha haa haa haa thats hilarious ! :GapToothed:

sydsmom

#5 Post by sydsmom »

My tried-and-true remedy (had tons of canker sores as a kid) is to melt a good old, regular aspirin on it. Stick the aspirin on the sore and let it dissolve as slowly as possible. You won't even know the sore is there afterward.
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06

missing_tooth

#6 Post by missing_tooth »

I've developed a HUGE canker sore with it's own area code on my right inside cheek.
Join the club. I know throughout my life I've gotten them frequently sometimes dime size, sometimes 2 or 3 at once. I'll have to try some the remedies here. I've always just waited it out.

// Just got one a couple days again, strong and growing.

- Missing Tooth -

bbsadmin

#7 Post by bbsadmin »

Aside from globbing wax on the offending brackets....have you tried Rincinol PRN rinse? A lot of people seem to like that a lot for mouth sores.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Icesk8er

Ok, so I tried the aspirin...

#8 Post by Icesk8er »

and you know, I think it worked. I got a baby aspirin and dissolved it on the infamous Canker That Ate Milwaukee and now it doesn't hurt anymore. Of course, I may puke from the taste, but you gotta take what you can get, right?

Thanks for all of the suggestions. If this turns out to be a short term fix, or if I do go all Vomitola Khomeni, I'll try some of the others. I'll become the board's canker sore guinnea pig.

All the best!

wearetheborg

#9 Post by wearetheborg »

Ha ha ha .. :GapToothed: Icesk8er are u a stand up comic ??
"Vomitola Khomeni" priceless!!!

mtb_nwbraces

#10 Post by mtb_nwbraces »

Here is something to try. Put some vitamin E on your canker sore. My son gets cankers sore all the time, one day I was complaining that nothing was taking away the pain and he said he found that vitamin E takes care of the pain. He read it somewhere on the internet. I tried it and the pain was completely gone for about a half hour.
Braced - Jan 6th 2005
Full Metal Brackets
Teeth released from Bondage - July 25th 2006

Kazan

#11 Post by Kazan »

Great tips on how to deal with canker sores. Cheers. Just getting a fair few of my own.

Incidentally I presume that canker sores are what we Brits call sore mouth ulcers or gum boils??

shaynesgirl

#12 Post by shaynesgirl »

Thanks for that post linda21, I was reading the thread thinking "oh my god, hope I never get one of those nasty canker sores" wondering what a canker sore actually is!

At the mo, I am "globbed" full of wax so hopefully my exposed wire and band hooks won't be doing me too much damage. I'll know what to do if it gets any worse however!
35 yr-old mother of 2
Braced 5/4/06
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers