self conscience smiling!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hannah164

self conscience smiling!

#1 Post by hannah164 »

Lately, I've been feeling really self conscience smiling! :? I mean I'm never going to stop smiling, I love it. But I feel like people are staring at my teeth instead of me! :shock: I've got this huge tooth coming down in the front that looks hecka out of place (my impacted canine)! THe other day my mom asked me what was with that tooth and I told her about it and she said it looked weird! :( Not what I wanted to hear but whatever! ANd my teeth aren't white at all! I mean they're more yellow even though I do brush and floss them like I should! :roll: THat doesn't help either!

Right now I'm doing the play "Little SHop of Horrors" through our high school and I'm in a dream ballet. In this scene we're supposed to be all smiley and happy and I just feel kind of self conscience as I smile on stage! :oops: I guess I'm not really comfortable with how my smile is right now! :roll: WE're also taking a lot of pictures for the show, I take horrible pictures and I feel my braces don't make it a whole lot better! :roll: Just curious, but do most of you do a big cheesy grin or a fake one or just don't show your teeth at all! :)

Does anyone else feel really self conscience about their smile, or is it just me? :wink:

~Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Last Adjustment: February 28, 2006 where they gave me a new bottom wire and attached my impacted canine, newly bracketed, to the wire! OUCH!

Raspberry

#2 Post by Raspberry »

Hi Hannah,
I feel pretty self-conscious about my new braced smile too... But the funny thing is I feel way better about smiling now than before braces.
I barely ever smiled before, I find myself smiling more now, even though I feel that people are looking at my braces.

I've found that it looks way worse when I try to smile with my mouth closed than showing my full smile. So I've given up trying to hide them.

I'm sure lots of people in your school have them or had them, so they should understand what you are going through...

You'll look great, smile and be proud. You'll be so great in the play and ballet that no one will notice your teeth!

Good Luck!

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

I'm with you here, I feel really self-conscious about smiling or just talking! I haven't really gotten used to the braces yet...one day :D

Good luck with the play!!! :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Tiffchelle

#4 Post by Tiffchelle »

I can totally feel where you are coming from. I am getting braced on next Tuesday, and I am rehearsing for a ballet recital. It is my first performance on a real stage, and I will be dancing solo!!! It is hard enough to be the "oldest" person dancing (I am 23 and representing the adult class), but I just know it will feel weird with braces in my mouth. However, since I love to smile, and I love to dance, I figured I'm just gonna do what I do, and nevermind anything else. Also, I will be taking recital pictures at the end of the month - fully braced. As much as I love to smile, I really hate to take pictures! We'll see how that goes!

I'm sure you will be great! Just keep on smiling! I know your play and the ballet will be great. Best wishes to you!

Leslie022

#5 Post by Leslie022 »

I felt the same way when I was first braced, but I see from your signature that you have been braces for quite a while. When I get self-conscience, I just look at this picture comparison of myself. On side is me hiding the braces and the other is me cheesing!

Which smile looks better?
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top