Was wondering if other people experience this...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pokergirl

Was wondering if other people experience this...

#1 Post by pokergirl »

When I wake up in the mornings, I literally have to give myself a couple of minutes before my jaws can move. It is almost like they are locked up. It's pretty painful trying to get them loose, but once I get them moving, they don't bother me the rest of the day. I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this and is it due to having an overbite or if other people with different bite problems have experienced this.

Another thing I was wondering is has anyone who has had wisdom teeth extracted noticed if their face started looking sort of hollow. I had 3 of my wisdom teeth extracted Jan. 3rd, and in the last few weeks I've had several people ask me if I've lost weight (which I know I haven't because I'm on the chocolate diet plan.) They all said my face looks a lot skinnier, and now -- since they brought it to my attention -- I'm starting to notice it. Has anyone noticed anything like this?

nimo

#2 Post by nimo »

I don't have the morning jaw tightness thing, but someone did ask me if I lost weight after getting my wisdom teeth pulled. I think it has made my face look skinnier...or maybe that's just four days of living off yogurt and mashed potatoes.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

rsprouse

#3 Post by rsprouse »

Hi,

Most likely you are suffering from Bruxism. You are clenching your teeth at night and do not realize it. This activates the musculature in your jaw. As a test, take a piece of gum or put something in your mouth and bite in to it for 10 minutes. Your jaw is going to be VERY tired in a few minutes from all of the work. Change that 10 minutes into a good nights sleep and you can see why you wake up that way. Speak to your ortho about it, but most likely you will just need to hang in there for the duration of treatment and if you still clench you can get a nightguard to alleviate the issue.

Regarding your facial profile. You have either lost some weight or it is from the surgery If your wisdom teeth were impacted then the OS most likely removed some bone with the teeth. Or depending on where the 3rd molars were located you could have a very thin layer of bone in the area left over after extraction. If it is a thin layer of bone, do not worry as your body will remodel the bone in the coming months and your face will slightly fill out and return to "normal".

Good Luck,
Rory

materialsgirl

#4 Post by materialsgirl »

Hey pokergirl, tell me more about this chocolate diet plan you're on. It sounds like something I might like to try. :lol: :wink: (see my signature line)

pokergirl

#5 Post by pokergirl »

Thanks nimo and rsprouse for the advice! I probably do need to tell my ortho about it at my next appointment.

materialsgirl, I love your signature line. I've actually used it a couple of times with my friends.