I am SERIOUSLY freaking out-elastic nightmare

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

flowertowngal

I am SERIOUSLY freaking out-elastic nightmare

#1 Post by flowertowngal »

I just got back from the ortho - I had two elastics before, one on each side, kind of stretching from front to back. I hated them but now I remember them fondly! Because this time, he put two elastics on but he stretched them across each other on my FRONT teeth - gosh, how to explain - imagine a rubber band box, covering 4 front teeth and 4 bottom front teeth - a box but then in the middle, a big X - the bands cross each other.

I can barely open my mouth, I can't drink anything, I'm having trouble talking and worst of all, I have this panicky feeling - I mean, really, I'm sweating because I feel like my jaw is wired shut.

I guess I'm being a big baby but...I don't think I can do this for 6 weeks!!

materialsgirl

#2 Post by materialsgirl »

Oh my! That does sound terrible! I haven't had the pleasure of having elastics (yet), so I can't completely identify, but I think I would go crazy not being able to open my mouth very far. The good news is it's only 6 weeks. That's not so bad in the grand scheme of things, right? :)

payoki

#3 Post by payoki »

no, it really unreal! I just picutured what you described and how...can you eat? talk? and what purpose does it serve? I guess your ortho felt the configuration was necessary but sounds horrible...hope you feel better.
mother of one.

NotBob1

#4 Post by NotBob1 »

So is the "X" across the front? You have my curiosity up now as I am told to expect elastics to be a major part of my treatment, including some diagonal ones across the front teeth top to bottom. Yipee!

I have come across quite a few adults now with very unique and visible displays of elastics. I never seemed to notice this before....go figure! (Kind of like noticing everyone with the same car as you after you buy one!)

I would imagine that not being able to open your mouth much is no fun at all. Most of the elastic wearing people out here seem to have gotten used to them. Some have even said that they miss the feeling of them when they are out. They seem to like having something pull their jaw closed. I, like you, am not sure I will like them at all. Especially when I have to get my array of elastics. The two I have now are not so bad, but I still don't like them.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

mtbrncofn

#5 Post by mtbrncofn »

Well you've got my sympathy! I never had anything remotely close to that. I can't imagine how much that must suck. :(

Best of luck to you!
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

bbsadmin

#6 Post by bbsadmin »

If you really can't cope with it, talk to your ortho. Perhaps you can wear one set of elastics for 6 weeks and then the other set for the following 6 weeks. Or something like that. It never hurts to ask!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Clo

#7 Post by Clo »

Oh dear,

I certainly know what you are talking about.
This is the configuration I had last month :

Yes, you can do this. But first you need to calm down. The more you
panic, the more difficult it becomes. First, don't fight them. So in the
beginning, do not try to open your mouth all the time. It even may hurt
your jaw or at least give it a very tense and tired feeling. If you want to
eat or drink, take them out. I know that in the beginning you feel like wired
shut, but later on, you will be able to open your mouth well enough to talk.
Know this, such configuration is only for a small amount of time. It'll pass
quickly ! If it continues to be absolutely unbearable, talk to your ortho.
He may give you less strong elastics or tell you to only wear them part
of the day. But you should try this at least some days.

Best of luck !
Please let us know how you are doing, ok ?

flowertowngal

thanks

#8 Post by flowertowngal »

Thank you everyone for the support. Clo, I was thinking of you all day yesterday - I had read all about your elastics nightmare and always felt so sorry for you - now I'm in the same boat. Well, I don't have as many as you do but still...

For those of you that asked, yes, the "X" is right in the front, crossing over the two front and two bottom teeth. I cannot drink anything with them in, I certainly can't eat and the worst thing - I can't lick my lips! You don't realize how awful that it is until you can't do it.

Today is a LITTLE better but we'll see...I answer the phone all day and talk to clients so that should be fun. I picked up something at the grocery store last night and the cashier asked me "Did you have surgery on your mouth?" Sigh...it's just...kind of...mortifying, I guess. My sister said I look like Hannibal Lecter - good Lord!

I ask you...why do we have to look so ugly in order to eventually look beautiful? It's not fair...(just venting - I'm fine!)

Clo

#9 Post by Clo »

Héhé, I am glad that you are doing some better !

Yes, I had the very same remarks.
I had the exact same issues about licking my lips. It is indeed hard to
imagine how many times we do that in a day. I tried to drink once. My
god, I spilled quite a lot of it, liquid running along my chin ...

Why we have to look so ugly. I think the worse it looks now, the better
it'll look when all will be said and done. The X has a meaning though. It
means no trespassing there, because of work going on. They should make
elastics that are colored in red and white stripes ...

NotBob1

#10 Post by NotBob1 »

Flowertowngal: I am truly sorry for your frustration. This, as you describe, is essentially what I will be in about two months from now and will likely have for a year.

I will be complaining about it soon. Last night I tried hooking a few of my elastics up in a configuration similar to your description and to the description that I remember my ortho describing in the consultation just to get an idea of what it will be like. It was not fun. I had my jaw to a point of where I could only open it a 1/8" at best. It sucked. I also tried the across the front teeth ones. I know I'll be self conscience about these in public, at first. Granted, this was only for about 15 minutes as opposed to all day, but I got a "taste" of it. (Pardon the pun!) I kind of want to give those diagonal ones a trial run on -my own time- to get used to the reactions, but I am afraid to do this for more than a few minutes as this could mess things up.... I guess I'll have to wait. Trial by fire, they say!

I already have had the comment of: "Did something happen to your jaw?" with just the side elastics visible.

Please keep us informed on how this progresses. If you don't mind, take a picture of it like Clo did for the board. (Just your mouth, not your face....obviously)
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

Flora2006

#11 Post by Flora2006 »

flowertowngal - I just saw your reply in the other thread about elastics. I really do sympatize with you! I have no idea how you do it! It's good that you are feeling a bit better than yesterday. I imagine each day will be a bit better. Hang in there.

Clo - same to you. I can't imagine having to wear these elastics. I honestly don't think I would be able to...I would panick all the time!! But your teeth are looking great :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006