Have I Broken My Brace?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MariaMetalMouth

Have I Broken My Brace?

#1 Post by MariaMetalMouth »

Hi,

I only got my braces yesterday, but on the brace on my top teeth after the last tooth, the wire is poking into my gum and it's uncomfortable.
I didn't feel this yesterday - is this normal or have I somehow broken it?

Sorry if this seems like a silly question
x

materialsgirl

#2 Post by materialsgirl »

It's not a silly question. It sounds like your archwire needs to be trimmed. It's common for the archwire to stick further out of the last bracket as your teeth move. When this happens, it has a tendency to poke and cause great discomfort. All you need to do is call your ortho and get a quick appointment asap so they can trim your archwire. :)

Idislikebraces

#3 Post by Idislikebraces »

Or put some wax on it...I had an adjusment a week ago nd just yesterday the wire in the back started to poke me..so I just put wax on it! :o
August 10, 2005
Ceramic Uppers and Metal Bottoms!
A few months later a Nance Appliance.
anddd nowwww:
De bonding on October 23, 2007!

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

I agree, either see your ortho so he can cut the end or use wax.

Keep in mind though that if your next adjustment isn't for a while...you would benefit more by going to the ortho to have the wire cut since it will only get worse in terms of irritation and cuts... (my cheek was bleeding and all cut up...my ortho actually gave me a little lecture on how i should just come see him to get it cut because i'm just torturing myself).

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

bbsadmin

#5 Post by bbsadmin »

Yes, please call your ortho ASAP to get the poking wire trimmed. The wire is poking you because your teeth moved....it's a good thing...but it feels awful and and give you a painful mouth ulcer. Many ortho's will let you "drop in" for a quick clipping. Ask your ortho if you can do this without having to wait for an appointment.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

altinure

#6 Post by altinure »

also, it's well known that ill fitting dental apparatuses have been know to lead to oral cancer. :)

akabraces

folding the wire

#7 Post by akabraces »

hmmm...

the assistant at my appointment
said she folded the wire so
that it wouldn't poke out...
I haven't felt any pain at all...
so I don't know much about
this, but perhaps you can
ask them to do this...

cheers,