sandwich

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DichCa

sandwich

#1 Post by DichCa »

Hey guys! I got my braces about a week ago, and yesterday I decided to bring a sandwich for lunch, something real for a change. Boy, was it a struggle. I do not understand how people can go for 2 or more years of this nightmare. I was so happy that my teeth do not hurt anymore, and was all ready to enjoy my lovely sandwich. Two bites later, i could feel the gunk everywhere around my braces. Half of it was bread, so not too hard to remove with tongue and water, but then pieces of deli slices would get fundamentally stuck. I was sitting there, picking at it with my tongue for like 10 minutes with no success, so I decided to go to the washroom. The little piece managed to wrap itself around the wire, and it took some time to yank it off there.
My question is: How do you people eat normal food in public?? I understand that yes some pieces get stuck, but not too many people seem to have that much trouble with it. Do you have some sort of technique of chewing worked out? Please help. My lunch today consisted of porridge and some veggies...I was hungry and not a happy camper. Any suggestions?
-Noone can make you feel inferior without your consent-

Leslie022

#2 Post by Leslie022 »

I just try to keep my mouth closed while chewing and, really, as much as possible until I can brush.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

JumpTheDitch

#3 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Same here, I pretty much keep my mouth shut til I can go brush my teeth. I know what you mean about being excited your teeth don't hurt anymore so you can eat, but I found it takes me a lot longer to eat with braces cos everything gets caught everywhere! I kinda have to 'clean' in and around my braces with my tongue after every mouthful. Not overly attractive, and virtually impossible to carry on a conversation during a meal. :roll: I have two sets of molar bands, both with fairly large hooks so EVERYTHING I eat gets wrapped around them. We get half hour breaks at work and it basically takes the whole 30 minutes to get through one sandwich. Good for the figure though! :lol:

payoki

cut up everything

#4 Post by payoki »

instead of taking bites, I just break a small piece of my sandwhich with my finger and pop em in my mouth. I pretty much cut up everything into small pieces. At least not as much food particles get stuck on your front teeth for everyone else to see.
mother of one.

ingyandbert

#5 Post by ingyandbert »

I had a big ole sandwich for lunch today. I don't bother with the small bites, I just dive right in and then loosen stuck bits between bites using my tongue. After a while, you get good at it.

Jesslzz 01

#6 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

Yeah, it is pretty much about having a good technique, you will learn that quickly, I did!. I love eating sandwiches, but sometimes (depending on the sandwich and the present company) it is better to eat that in private.
But cutting a sandwich or a hamburguer in small pieces makes it possible for us braced people to eat them on public places. :lol:

It is a pain to clean out the grill afterwards (the bread wraps on the brackets in incredible ways) but I won't deny myself the pleasure of eating a great sandwich in my place when I'm alone, no way. I found out that when I'm not on a very painful day my front teeth feel better after using them to bite down. I read somewhere that chewing makes your teeth stronger and that is good for the treatment. At least I don't feeling any pain right now, in fact I feel all my front teeth very good.

Top braces on: January 9th, 2006. Lowers on February 14th, 2006
Full metalmouth!

Awen

#7 Post by Awen »

Sandwiches are the worst for me. You could try bringing toothpicks along with you, and discreetly picking out what you feel getting stuck without opening your mouth enough for it to show.

And if you want to go the swish n' swallow route...make sure you aren't drinking something colorful like fruit punch, in case some bread bits get swished and not swallowed. :lol:

TuZZi

#8 Post by TuZZi »

I waited 5 months after being braced to eat my beloved Subway... and even then I cut it up into small pieces and chewed with the sides of my mouth. I still don't bite into things with my front teeth.... people laugh at me when they watch me eat.... so I rarely ever eat unless I'm at home.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

missing_tooth

#9 Post by missing_tooth »

I eat pretty much whatever I want. When it comes to things like burgers and sandwiches, I take a bite and move it to the back of my mouth. Even still, things don't get stuck too often.

- Missing Tooth -

chrisd

#10 Post by chrisd »

i find that toasted bread helps loads with eating sandwiches. also drinking water after every few bites keeps things lose.
but always a trip to brush afterwards.
chris
http://community.webshots.com/user/cruelcanbekind
3m clarity on top changed to supertorque metal
3m victory metals bottom
estimated treatment time 16-20 months