Will the gaps get filled?? Worried now!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mogwai

Will the gaps get filled?? Worried now!!!

#1 Post by mogwai »

Hi - I had 4 teeth extracted for my orthodontic treatment - is this normal?? I hadnt really thought about this til I saw how big the gaps were - Ive never had gaps between my teeth, but Im worried that once the teeth move into place, there will still be gaps as a result of having removed 4 teeth!!

HELP! I dont want to move from one problem to the other!!! :cry: Do you think I should ask about fake teeth? I would rather have mild overcrowding than teeth with gaps.

I also have a friend who had 4 teeth removed for her treatment, (years ago now) but she now has a gap on either side of her front two teeth despite having fixed retainers fitted behind these front teeth.....

kirst1583

#2 Post by kirst1583 »

Hi there.
I don't think you have anything to worry about.
I had 4 teeth extracted also (with HUGE gaps) and now they are all closed.
It took 2 and 1/2 years for them to close mind you.. but at least they got there in the end!
Good luck. If you still have doubts then speak to your ortho, but i'm sure things will work out fine. :wink:

sydsmom

#3 Post by sydsmom »

I was quite concerned about this too. I had two teeth extracted due to overcrowding and was shocked at how huge the gaps were! Then I got to worrying that my back molars would be all out of alignment if they had to come forward to fill the gaps. I would stare at my teeth in the mirror trying (unsuccessfully!) to imagine how the gaps will be filled once the teeth are all untangled.

However! It's been 2 1/2 months with braces, and my gaps have already closed considerably. Plus, I've read on this board and other places about the way the upper and lower back molars should meet -- and realized that mine can come forward several millimeters to close those gaps and the interdigitation will be much better.

Try doing some searches on this board and on the web. Many folks here have posted before and after pics of how their gaps were closed. You'll be amazed -- but it always seems to work out okay.
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06

meesoo100

#4 Post by meesoo100 »

hey there, i think i posted something similar to this. i had four teeth extracted too and now my bottom jaw is all gaps gaps gaps. it looks kinda weird, and they were also protruding, but not my ortho is starting to put them back in place and i can gradually see the gap being reduced. again, i also worry that my gaps arnt going to close completely but i am confident that the ortho knows what he is doing. i guess we have to be patient so dont worry and just enjoy seeing your teeth transform in to beautiful, straight pearly whites :lol:

TuZZi

#5 Post by TuZZi »

If your ortho thought removing 4 teeth would leave too much empty space at the end, they wouldn't have removed that many. You have to remember that in order for the teeth to get into perfect position, a lot of movement must be done, and the creation of gaps elsewhere is only making things improve. Don't worry about what it looks like now, it's all baby steps until your finally done.

I had 4 teeth removed, and now I have gaps inbetween some of my front teeth, but I don't sweat it.... I know they aren't permanant, and they will disappear once things move around properly. Just don't worry about it, and enjoy watching how things move... I love seeing the improvement from month to month... it's amazing.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

mogwai

#6 Post by mogwai »

thanks, i have had my braces on for 3 weeks now, and i havent seen any movement yet, but im ever patient...or trying to be!