Is headgear really necessary? Opinions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Awen

Is headgear really necessary? Opinions

#1 Post by Awen »

Hello :) I have just gotten braced for the second time and want to get some thoughts and opinions on my treatment plan, as my ortho is not very communicative and I would like to know if there is a really good reason for me to accept his current plan.

I returned to the ortho's office to fix minor crowding, open bite, and overjet. I wanted to accomplish this without visible braces if possible, so the original plan was to get lower braces and fix the top with high pull headgear and removable appliances. I realized very quickly that I was not going to be wearing the headgear enough for it to make a difference, so at my next appointment I just opted for the full braces. However, I was told that I was still going to have to wear the headgear.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is truly necessary? Some background: I have had my upper 2nd molars extracted, and my ortho told me my open bite had improved from 2 mm to 1 mm just from the extractions. I don't know the exact number for my overjet, but I don't think it's THAT bad...my last ortho got it mostly corrected, without the use of any extra appliances. Should it not be possible to correct it even more now that those back teeth are gone?
I read the article about headgear on this site that says it's prescribed to keep back molars from sliding forward into the extraction space...but in my case there are no teeth behind the extraction space.

Another thing...my ortho said I needed it to fix my open bite. Is a 1 mm open bite really too much for braces to deal with? :Questions:

If there's something I'm missing here someone let me know. I just feel like my teeth are not that extremely out of place to warrant going through the hassle of headgear. Even if my teeth can't be completely fixed, I'm willing to forgo the headgear and finish with an almost-perfect bite...which I know is possible because I've had it done before. (My teeth moved again because I used to have TMJ quite badly and my retainers irritated it, so I stopped wearing them.) I've been doing a lot of research and if I don't come up with a very compelling reason that headgear is absolutely necessary, I'll be telling him about the change of plans at my next appointment.

Thoughts, anyone?

ingyandbert

#2 Post by ingyandbert »

You need to talk to your ortho about this or see another one for a second opinion. You're asking a bunch of laypeople to comment on something that only a professional who can examine you in person can determine.

missingu

#3 Post by missingu »

This is what I learned from my discussions with a couple orthos -

I brought up the topic of headgear specifically, to see if it was part of their treatment repertoire in general. Of the three, not one said they would use it on adults. All said that the same general effects could be achieved in other ways and with adults it was often not workable given our schedules and established bone structure. I was relieved.

I am in a similar situation of having had molars extracted (lower), and the plan is once my bite is aligned to possibly get implants, but it is my option. If not, the ortho is satisfied with my commitment to wearing retainers long-term (only nights after 6 mos.).

Can you go back to the first ortho for a consult to see what he says, or another opinion from someone else? For a 1mm open bite, and minor issues, I don't think I'd want to agree to headgear either! Good luck.

Awen

#4 Post by Awen »

Ingyandbert - I realize this.
However, I will not be seeing my orthodontist for another month, and I would prefer to be armed with as much information as possible before I speak with him. That is my purpose for doing research online and registering for this forum.
If there is anyone on these boards who has been treated for similar problems, I would appreciate hearing their take on things.

Awen

#5 Post by Awen »

Missingu - that is very interesting. I'd thought that use of headgear had been generally phased out, especially once the jaw is done growing.

I would love to go back to my old ortho for a consultation and think that might be in order. The only thing is cost - I don't know that he does free consultations, but I guess that minimal cost would not be an issue when it comes to getting accurate information. I wish I had gone back to him for the second round - I didn't because he was no longer covered on insurance, but now it turns out none of it is covered by insurance anyway. :roll: That is irritating because given a choice I would not have chosen this ortho.

To switch now would just mean more money, but I would feel so much more comfortable at least getting his opinion. And what you have learned from your consultations makes me more confident in the need to seek other opinions. Thanks for the help :)

HeadgearJoe

Re: Is headgear really necessary? Opinions

#6 Post by HeadgearJoe »

Awen wrote:Hello :) I have just gotten braced for the second time and want to get some thoughts and opinions on my treatment plan, as my ortho is not very communicative and I would like to know if there is a really good reason for me to accept his current plan.

I returned to the ortho's office to fix minor crowding, open bite, and overjet. I wanted to accomplish this without visible braces if possible, so the original plan was to get lower braces and fix the top with high pull headgear and removable appliances. I realized very quickly that I was not going to be wearing the headgear enough for it to make a difference, so at my next appointment I just opted for the full braces. However, I was told that I was still going to have to wear the headgear.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is truly necessary? Some background: I have had my upper 2nd molars extracted, and my ortho told me my open bite had improved from 2 mm to 1 mm just from the extractions. I don't know the exact number for my overjet, but I don't think it's THAT bad...my last ortho got it mostly corrected, without the use of any extra appliances. Should it not be possible to correct it even more now that those back teeth are gone?
I read the article about headgear on this site that says it's prescribed to keep back molars from sliding forward into the extraction space...but in my case there are no teeth behind the extraction space.

Another thing...my ortho said I needed it to fix my open bite. Is a 1 mm open bite really too much for braces to deal with? :Questions:

If there's something I'm missing here someone let me know. I just feel like my teeth are not that extremely out of place to warrant going through the hassle of headgear. Even if my teeth can't be completely fixed, I'm willing to forgo the headgear and finish with an almost-perfect bite...which I know is possible because I've had it done before. (My teeth moved again because I used to have TMJ quite badly and my retainers irritated it, so I stopped wearing them.) I've been doing a lot of research and if I don't come up with a very compelling reason that headgear is absolutely necessary, I'll be telling him about the change of plans at my next appointment.

Thoughts, anyone?
hi awen , well as an adult in headgear an still wearing it all i can add is they realy work , i was like you when headgear was brought up not happy , but with tmj probs an starting treatment in my 40s this was the best for me , i have very long roots , an openbite at the molors an a very nasty deep overbite, i was told i could opt for surgery over headgear , so i opt for headgear it's not something i wanted but surgery was not even something i was going to do eather , for me it has been a long road an many appliances have been used but i'm pain free an my bite an smile is looking great , an yes i would do it agian IF i had to , but you have to use the orthodontist that best serves your needs lots of luck , Headgearjoe +=+=+=+=+=+=+ all aboard
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

ItsGavinC

#7 Post by ItsGavinC »

Headgear does work, and is most often used to correct class 2 deformities (overjets).

Logically speaking, it's use because more and more limited as the patient reaches a point where the lower jaw is nearing it's full growth.

Joanna20

#8 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey! Your case sounds a lot like mine. I thumb sucked for nearly 13 years and I had this big overjet, I got most of it corrected when I was 14, my doctor wanted to perform extractions to make it perfect but my mum didn't allow it. So now that I'm an adult I decided to make them perfect and I also don't have 2nd molars (lower jaw) and wisdom teeth left. I'm still waiting for my judgement appointment which is about a month and a week from now and then she'll tell me what needs to be done. I know I need extractions on top to correct mild crowding on top and my treatment will start on the lower jaw (which I'm not what she's going to do about that, I might need the so called compensatory extractions). One of the doctors in the boards told me that one of the solutions would be extraction of upper 2nd molar. So I suppose that if u need a head gear I'm needing one too!
I'm no doctor but it makes sence that we need that because the ortho. doesn't have where to pull from, and they need a steady base to "debuck" the teeth and pull them inswards and straight. So it doesn't surprise me that you may need it, although I think some removable appliance (besides the full time braces) would also work. Like a sort of retainer that would pull the teeth behind. This is great actually because it give the teeth a really natural look (no missing biscupids) so no one could ever guess you've had braces!!!
For how long have u had ur extractions done?
Take Care,
Joana

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February