My first adjustment results--pain!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

My first adjustment results--pain!

#1 Post by genxsis »

Just a few days ago was my very first adjustment. It was quite painful on my teeth when the assistant was removing and putting new ties on. Then the ortho came over and asked me about my cleats because I called ahead and inquired whether or not he thought I'd be needing them. They had been causing alot of problems with my tongue. He actually ground off my lower ones and said I wouldn't be needing them. I thought, "Oh, what a relief! Now my tongue won't get so sore when I try to talk". The area where the cleats were are now smooth. Good news, right? Read on..

From the time I ate my first meal, my tongue has been in agony from getting torn up even worse now! It's been rubbed raw on both sides. It's very hard to talk, eat, drink, rinse, spit, or anything else. I don't understand why it's so much worse now that the cleats are gone. There aren't any sharp edges left where he ground them off. It's possible my tongue is hitting the upper cleats, but that would have happened before. Since rinsing hurts so much because I use my tongue to swish liquid around, I don't rinse with salt water, but instead I lay on my back and sprinkle a little salt directly on the red spots on my tongue and leave it there for a couple minutes before spitting it out. It really stings when the salt gets on there, but I guess that means it's affecting it.

I've had more problems with my tongue than with my teeth since getting braces, and it's been about 2 1/2 months now. Why isn't my tongue toughening up?
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

That sounds like so much pain! Oh my goodness.

Could you call your ortho so he can check all the brackets and everything else in your mouth?

If he fixed the cleats...than maybe its something else?

I really hope your tongue heals soon!! Good luck with everything.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Lin

#3 Post by Lin »

Genxsis... you remember I had the same cleats problem when my braces first went on, which was back around when yours did, if I remember correctly. After the ortho assistants flattened my cleats, I stopped having problems, but here are a few thoughts from before that time...

First, brush your teeth as normal. For this to work, you'll have to do it after meals, too. Then, open your mouth, being careful to keep your tongue from touching your molars. Breathe in and out a couple times quickly, trying to get some airflow across the molar cleats so they dry some. Rub the tip of a dry cotton-qtip over one cleat. Then apply a 3/4-1" strip of wax (normal, not silicone) that you have already warmed and flattened with your fingers over the cleat. Keep trying to avoid contact between the wax and your tongue. Use the heat and light pressure of your fingers to mold the wax over the cleat and tooth. This works best if you also try to flatten the wax enough to fold a third of its width over the top surface (where you bite down) of the molar. Repeat this entire process for each cleat in your mouth.

Obviously, this is not a fix, it's a "patch" that, if you repeat after every meal and after normal brushing times, will allow you some comfort for awhile. It's tricky to get the wax to stick, but I think the trick is in making sure the surface is dry and that you do that upside-down-L "fold" with the wax so it's not just sticking to one plane/surface.

If you keep the wax in when you eat, yes, you will swallow some wax, but I tend to think it's worth it since your tongue won't be lacerated when you chew.

The other thing that this can help... if you do this after a particularly nasty tongue-lacerating session (which it sounds like you just had), and then do Peroxyl & warm salt water rinses after the wax is in there--especially before bedtime-- it will greatly accelerate the healing of your tongue. I agree with Meryaten that putting the salt water (or Peroxyl) in your mouth and then rolling your head to circulate it over your tongue and around your mouth works really well.

After they flattened my cleats, my tongue still felt pretty cut-up. But I discovered that I couldn't even feel the difference the flattening made until I used Peroxyl & salt water for enough days for my tongue to heal. I'm not sure if that sounds like the case with you, though... (though I hope so!)... see how it goes and let us know!

Is your ortho able to do anything about your top cleats? Ligs, cement, flattening, anything? Those may still be the culprits as far as your tongue is concerned. I found that I had trouble determining whether it was the top or bottom cleats that were tearing up my tongue worse.

Anyway, I hope something in here can help you! In my opinion, that is definitely one of the worst kinds of orthodontic pain to go through, so I deeply sympathize!! Hang in there and I hope it gets better soon.
-- Lin | Braced on 1/31/06 | 5 extractions + Canine Exposed 4/19/06

genxsis

#4 Post by genxsis »

Thank you so much everyone for the suggestions and sympathy! I think it really is the top cleats that are causing the problem now. It's kind of embarrasing since I just had the ortho grind off the bottom ones. I thought they were the culprit because it's the bottom of my tongue that is sore. I've since discovered that the bottom of my tongue hits my upper cleats mostly when I talk. Funny thing: I'm looking for an office job right now and would probably have to do alot of talking on the phone and stuff like that. My current situation prevents that. Lin, I did try using the wax on the upper cleats, but I can't get it to stay on long no matter how I apply it. Last night, I tried using a screwdriver and then a hex key wrench to try bending the hook down further (Do-it-yourself-orthodontics) without any success. It's amazing what pain makes a person do. :lol:

I want so badly to go back to the ortho, but like I said, it's kind of embarrasing! I went once before, and the assistant wouldn't do anything with it. I went again for my adjustment, and the ortho removed the bottom ones. Now I'll have to go again to remove the uppers! They quoted me a fixed price for my treatment in the beginning, but I have a feeling they didn't mean "unlimited appointments" for the next 2 years. It's embarrasing to keep calling them to say things are still not right, but I guess I'll do it.

Meryaten, I will take your advice and not use the salt without the water. I'll let you know if it speeds things up.
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

Granola

#5 Post by Granola »

genxsis, I am sorry those upper cleats are bothering you now.

Don't be too hard on yourself about not realizing it was the top ones bothering you as well. I think it is really hard to tell sometimes exactly which part of the appliances is hurting us!

I just had my first adjustment two days ago, and even though the assistant asked me to check if everything felt okay before I left, and then she fiddled with some areas that bothered me, I failed to notice that one side of my lower wire is poking me (duh!) so now I have to call and go back to see what they can do for me (it's a flexible wire so it is not easy to bend it under because it won't stay--I know because I tried to do it myself also).

Your ortho fee definitely covers all of these little adjustments though, and don't let the assistants at the office make you feel otherwise. Call them, and don't just deal with the discomfort. I'm sure your ortho wants you to be as comfortable as you can be.

Let us know what happens.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

Flora2006

#6 Post by Flora2006 »

Granola wrote: Your ortho fee definitely covers all of these little adjustments though, and don't let the assistants at the office make you feel otherwise. Call them, and don't just deal with the discomfort. I'm sure your ortho wants you to be as comfortable as you can be.
I definitely agree. My ortho gave me a friendly lecture on how important it is for me to know that I can call and come in to get my wire cut if its poking me and cutting my cheeks. He said that there is absolutey no reason for me to be in pain and discomfort and to please come see him to get it cut...

So...don't hesitate about calling. You are paying for this treatment a lot of money. This won't take their whole day.

Good luck :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

ssfw

#7 Post by ssfw »

Hi genxsis,

I'm so you're tongue is so sore. I had a sore tongue when I first got my expander - it's no fun :( .

Please call your ortho's office to make an appointment. You should never hesitate to call to make an appt. for any problems due to your braces or other ortho appliances. My orthodontist told me to never hesitate to call to make an appt. should I be having any ortho problems. The staff at my ortho's office was so helpful when I called recently and they did their best to get me in as soon as possible. I'm thankful that I have only had to call once (for now) but glad that my ortho's office is so kind to me when I call.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

dena

#8 Post by dena »

I think everyone's mouth is aggitated by different things.

My cleats KILL, but only sometimes. I honestly can't explain my braces at all because with the exception of one bracket that perpetually causes irritation since that tooth moved into place, I always have pain in different areas...including the tongue/cleats. For me, so far, the pain has never stopped per se...but it comes and goes constantly. While I'm sure it's not reassuring for me to tell you I still have painful spots, I'm saying this because my pain always subsides. That is, I may have irritation throughout, but I don't believe it will ever be constant in one spot. And it's gone more than present. Definitely don't feel bad about asking your ortho for help. And, if you can find a way to use the wax, do it. In the last visit I brought home tons of wax because I use it whenever there is even a touch of pain.

Stay positive! This won't last forever, and you'll be so happy with your teeth some day!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

twinklehunkydory

#9 Post by twinklehunkydory »

I'm really really sorry for sounding like a dumbass... but what are'cleats' ? :?
dare to reach for your dreams, and dare to live those dreams

Dark_angel

#10 Post by Dark_angel »

twinklehunkydory wrote:I'm really really sorry for sounding like a dumbass... but what are'cleats' ? :?
viewtopic.php?t=10242

Your answer can be found here as well as a nice little diagram.

CLAmom

#11 Post by CLAmom »

The cleats are torturing me again as well after my first adjustment last week. I was at the point where I was able to ignore them 99% of the time but now I have been using wax the last couple of days and my tongue is raw and ouchy. It's canker sore city in there right now, too. I also have an especially scratchy spot on the outside of the lower molar band that was never bugging me before. I'm thinking this is the wire poking out ever so slightly. I was happy to finally have my adjustment & get a new wire on the bottom. Feels like progress. For a day or so things even felt tight again and I welcomed that. Now I'm feeling more like when the braces were first put on--sore, tired, cranky, and frustrated. I may be calling my ortho tomorrow so don't feel bad if you do the same. I think it's to be expected. :roll:

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

Melancholyrose

#12 Post by Melancholyrose »

Hey genxsis,
That sounds awful!! I don't really have anything to complain about after reading that post!

I have a LOT of soreness, and I have to eat mushy foods, or else try to cut them up and roll them around with my tongue until I can chew them. I've only had to take medicine a couple of times, I have done the salt water rinsing as well.

If I was in such pain as you, I would definitely be calling the ortho office as many times as it takes to feel better. For as much money as they are getting out of your mouth, they need to make it tolerable!