Gold or Silver

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Deb01

Gold or Silver

#1 Post by Deb01 »

Has anyone picked gold braces over silver? If so, are you happy with them or do you wish you had picked silver? All opinions greatly appreciated. :)
Braced on 6/28/2006

susieq182

#2 Post by susieq182 »

its a tough call i was over the fence for weeks about getting gold or silver. I am not really into all that matchy matchy stuff but I finally went with silver because 90% of my jewlery is silver or white gold. I didnt want my grill to clash with my bling I guess. several people who go to my ortho have gold brackets and seem to like them but i notice more men and boys have the gold. I really wanted clear brackets but they just wouldnt work for my situation. Good luck on your choice
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

OneTime

#3 Post by OneTime »

I like silver. I seen some gold and they don't look that good. Some of them are dirty gold.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

Samantha08

#4 Post by Samantha08 »

Hehe I didnt even know that they had gold! :shock: I would have still gone with the silver though :)
Estimated Time: 15-18 months

kirst1583

#5 Post by kirst1583 »

Personally, i'm not a fan of the gold.
It could just be the fact that they aren't so common and i'm not used to them though.

JumpTheDitch

#6 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I've seen gold on websites but never on a real person. I don't know if gold is really available in Aus or if it's only really available in the states where orthodontics is a bit bigger than here. Like the star-shaped and heart-shaped etc brackets.

I have silver. I would have gone with silver even if my ortho had gold. I'm sure there are people out there that gold looks good on, but I think silver is more classy. Plus I don't wear any gold that isn't white!

Deb01

#7 Post by Deb01 »

Thanks for your opinions! I wear a lot of yellow gold and thought a gold grill would be kind of cool...but I also thought my teeth might look yellow from a distance. I think I'll pick silver. Many thanks!
Braced on 6/28/2006

mtbrncofn

#8 Post by mtbrncofn »

I was offered gold too, but went with the silver. I'm boring I guess. I've never seen anyone with the gold either, but I'd like to.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

gunter8888

#9 Post by gunter8888 »

I used to know a woman who had the gold braces. They really didn't make her teeth look yellow; in fact I think they made them look whiter because of the contrast. I am typically not a gold person, but the gold brackets looked great on her. She was Latina and her olive skin and dark eyes matched the braces wonderfully.

I saw them on a woman with a paler complexion once and they looked very out of place.

One thing is certain, the gold braces will draw more attention to your mouth!
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

ingyandbert

#10 Post by ingyandbert »

I would have preferred gold because I never wear silver, but my ortho didn't offer gold. With my coloring, gold would have looked better.

GrillCheese

#11 Post by GrillCheese »

I had to register just to reply to this post - I don't have a full set of gold brackets, but because of my nickel allergy, my ortho had to pop a gold arch wire on my ceramics recently - and I absolutely loved it. So much that I've requested to have gold at any opportunity.

I think all over gold would draw extra attention that I'm not looking for, but I find the gold wire through the ceramics is actually less noticible than the silver was - and I find it a little more "girly".

One small way that has made me like my braces a little more - thought I'd share.

Deb01

#12 Post by Deb01 »

Thanks for the replys! I have medium blond hair and green eyes. My skin color isn't too fair. I figure that these are going to be a part of my appearance for 2 years, I've got to make sure I'm going to be happy with the color. Keep the opinions coming!!! :thumbsup:
Braced on 6/28/2006