Coloured Dots?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MariaMetalMouth

Coloured Dots?

#1 Post by MariaMetalMouth »

Hi,
I've searched this question already and didn't find anything so I thought i'd ask..
I've not had my braces on for long (about 2 weeks I think) and have only just noticed that on some ligs (is that what they're called? Not caught on with the lingo yet :oops: ) there are tiny coloured dots. On a few teeth there are red dots, and a couple green. Although very small!

What's the deal with them?
My ortho didn't tell me anything - it was braces on and that was that!
Thanks
x
Braced: 29th March 2006
Estimated time 18 months!

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

They will go away soon. They are just there to identify the bracket I think...something like that. But it will go away with you brushing your teeth and all. Don't worry ;)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

drazda

#3 Post by drazda »

The dots don't last long. Mine only lasted a couple of weeks, they were red and green.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

JumpTheDitch

#4 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Hmm, that's weird; everyone else's came off in the first week or so? Three months in, I still have about half my dots. Some red, some blue, some bright yellow, some pale yellow.

I wonder why they're so resilient. I do brush my teeth, I do! :-} :shock:

OneTime

#5 Post by OneTime »

You can pick or scrape them off.

Usually daily brushing will release them.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

jennielee81

#6 Post by jennielee81 »

I scratched mine off with my finger nail. No biggie
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Anticipator

#7 Post by Anticipator »

JumpTheDitch wrote:Hmm, that's weird; everyone else's came off in the first week or so? Three months in, I still have about half my dots. Some red, some blue, some bright yellow, some pale yellow.

I wonder why they're so resilient. I do brush my teeth, I do! :-} :shock:
Same here, I'm not sure if it's because I'm lacking in dental attentiveness or if they just used industrial strength paint on my brackets.

They're small and not particularly noticeable unless you're looking at them up close so I can't say I'm bothered by them.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

airxjordan24

#8 Post by airxjordan24 »

most of mine came off the second day of brushing. i picked the remaining ones off with my finger :D
1/21/06 - spacers and brackets
1/25/06 - 2 lower biscupids extracted
1/30/06 - lower archwire
2/13/06 - expander on uppers

JumpTheDitch

#9 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Weird. Thanks Anticipator, it's good to hear I'm not the only one with stubborn dots. Not that I mind them, I guess they used airline paint or something on mine. I can't say I was ever hugely bothered by them I guess they'll work their own way off when they feel so inclined!

aedon

#10 Post by aedon »

When I got my braces on, I hated them passionately and the coloured dots were even worse. Vigorous brushing and some brushing for about fifteen minutes did the trick, but I think that may have been a tad excessive :shock: