crown keeps popping off :(

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bracefaced

crown keeps popping off :(

#1 Post by Bracefaced »

So I’m officially brace faced!!!
Top arch was bracketed/wired on December 28, 2005 and my bottom arch was bracketed/wired April 9, 2006 - a month earlier than expected woohoo! 8)

My problem is this darn 2nd molar crown :evil:

The first time a molar band was attempted on it, the assistant popped off my crown...not good...
My ortho then sent me off to my dentist w/ a note suggesting that I have that molar extracted, in my opinion mainly because the tooth annoyed him lol. But my dentist (also an ortho and unfortunately I didn’t find out before hand) said everything was a-ok and removal of the tooth would be unnecessary, in his dental/ortho opinion.

Anywho, my second go around w/ putting a band on that molar ended up great. The band went right on (this time the ortho placed it on personally) and I was good for another month…

However, this Monday all my bottom teeth (except for the last molars on either side) were bracketed and I thought everything would end up perfect. NOPE! As the assistant put in the archwire, I heard a cracking sound followed by the dreaded news: “Do you know your crown is really loose?!â€

WiredNana

#2 Post by WiredNana »

You might want to find out if they are using a permanent cement.....

I have a temporary ceramic crown but it is permanently cemented to handle the force of the braces....They would not touch me in braces till I had the 'ancient' stainless steel crown removed.....the temporary is really permanent, being it's a molar.
Wirednana (Deb)

rsprouse

#3 Post by rsprouse »

Crowns are not meant to be removed time and time again. Unless your dentist used a temporary cement (not likely unless he was worried about having to perform endo) the crown should not come off. Ortho is applying extra force to the tooth and it is possible that the crown is either 1) not retentive enough to withstand ortho 2) recurrent decay and needs to be redone 3) Crown has failed 4) Crown does not fit ideally.

The bottom line is that it needs to be evaluated clinically by a dentist that you trust. Get it recemented and evaluated ASAP, nothing good will come from leaving it off.

Best,
Rory