Spacers

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braces4me

Spacers

#1 Post by braces4me »

So I got my spacers in yesterday morning. All day yesterday and last night they did not bother me a bit, just felt like there was food stuck between my teeth. I didn't realize this morning how sore they are until I tried to eat some waffles. OMG, my teeth are so sore. I know everyone says this is the worst part and it only lasts for a few days. I guess I will be living off of soups for the next few days :cry:

Dark_angel

#2 Post by Dark_angel »

Everyone hates spacers but there only in your mouth for a week or so. Try taking pain meds and sucking on ice cubes. You could always live on ben and jerrys :D

blondie111

#3 Post by blondie111 »

Yep, I got spacers 3 days ago, and I am fine until I eat something! I still can't really bite down on anything hard on my back teeth yet. I have been eating a lot of soup, yogurt, cottage cheese and Manwhichs for dinner! I guess it does get better, but still sore for me too!

Anything cold feels good on it. I also recommend ice cream! :twisted:

I'm 32 and will be in braces for almost 2 years!

Iceolated

#4 Post by Iceolated »

I have to agree with Blondie and Braces4me that spacers are not fun at all. I only got mine about 36 hours ago and already they are driving me insane.

Since I floss after every meal it is absolutely driving me nuts to have that food between the teeth 'sensation' knowing I cannot do anything about it.

Something I found interesting was they placed spacers in front of and behind my first molars on my upper jaw. Right side is a snug fit, however I have always had a LARGE gap between the first and seconds molar on my left side, so the spacer that was in that gap popped out this AM while brushing. I could feel it wasn't snug from the moment it was put in as the other three were a challenge for the ortho tech but this particular one slid right in.

When I say a large gap I do mean large. I often get chunks of food stuck in that area and am constantly flossing it. The gap is large enough that I could floss with string if I ran out of floss.

I am of two minds of whether to have one put back in or just let it go. I am in these spacers for another 17 days - opinions?

Cheers,

Ice

Metal uppers May 2, 2006
Metal lowers September 12, 2006
Finally Nekkid July 11, 2007

With braces - pain is gain...

Some things money can't buy.
Thank God great looking teeth aren't one of them.

“But to see her was to love her, Love but her, and love foreverâ€

demedja

#5 Post by demedja »

Better to call the ortho and ask. Even though you are saying there's always been a space there, if the ortho saw it necessary to put a spacer there it probably means the space is not big enough to accommodate your braces. If I were you, I would not just let it go. What if when you go back to put your braces in they find that the space is still not big enough to fit them? Then they will have to put another spacer in and delay your braces for another couple weeks.

Iceolated

#6 Post by Iceolated »

If it's any help to the OP of this thread, my spacers seemed to have calmed down the last day or so and aren't as noticeable as before. Eating today was a lot less uncomfortable than yesterday.

demedja,

I think I will just make a visit on Monday and have the spacer put back in. You make a very valid piont, after all one does pay a lot of money for the orhto's knowledge - perhaps best to let him/her lead the way.

Cheers,

Ice

Metal uppers May 2, 2006
Metal lowers September 12, 2006
Finally Nekkid July 11, 2007

With braces - pain is gain...

Some things money can't buy.
Thank God great looking teeth aren't one of them.

“But to see her was to love her, Love but her, and love foreverâ€

braces4me

#7 Post by braces4me »

[quote="Iceolated"]If it's any help to the OP of this thread, my spacers seemed to have calmed down the last day or so and aren't as noticeable as before. Eating today was a lot less uncomfortable than yesterday.

My teeth seem to be a little bit better today. At least I have been able to eat foods with more consistantcy. They are still sore but not as bad as the first day.