Ceramic Braces - UK people!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Cultureicons

Ceramic Braces - UK people!

#1 Post by Cultureicons »

Is it possible for a teenager to get ceramic braces free on the national health service?

LizzyG

#2 Post by LizzyG »

No, I don't think so. On the literature from my ortho, they do standard metal braces on the NHS for people up to 18 yrs old, but ceramics etc have to be private contract.

Damon 3's upper and lower - 10 February 2006

Dark_angel

#3 Post by Dark_angel »

I really dont think its possible however your ortho may allow you to pay the extra for the ceramic brackets. Im 17 and i had metals put on last year and there not bad at all. Unless you have a really good reason for wanting ceramics id just go with the metal. People will be able to tell if you've got braces even if you get ceramic and you cant make out my braces from a few meteres away. If i had the choice i'd stick with metal.

sjsarre

#4 Post by sjsarre »

Where I live in the Channel Islands you can't even get dentistry free let along orthodontics.

I've gone for Ceramics because i'm going to be 31 and alot of my work involves meetings and travelling away for business meetings. Plus giving presentations.

If I was younger in my teens I probably would have gone for metal.

twinklehunkydory

#5 Post by twinklehunkydory »

I think it's most likely been answered, but no... i don't think you can.

If you're really set on the idea there's no harm in investigaing prices and where ceramics are offered.

Most people I've ever met who had braces had typical NHS metal ones. It's up to you if you want to go for something different.
dare to reach for your dreams, and dare to live those dreams

ChrissieWhissie

#6 Post by ChrissieWhissie »

Hi there

You'd be very lucky to get ceramics on the NHS - it's literally non-existent. And especially now they've got the new ruling on NHS dentistry since April 1st, it's gonna be really hard to get braces in the first place, let alone possibly getting ceramics - and getting them free!

You might, however, speak to your NHS ortho to see if he's prepared to put on ceramics at a price which you'd pay.

Take care, and keep us informed of how it all works out...

Cx

ChrissieWhissie

#7 Post by ChrissieWhissie »

KK

I'm fine thanks, and my smile is AWESOME!

I know I've been away from the forum for such a long time, but now I'm back - wanted to see you guys!

I work in the AppleStore in the UK, and the amount of people (kids and adults) who have braces coming into the store is brilliant - I chat to them all the time and then I refer them to Archwired!

Then I realised how much I've missed the forum and so, here I am!

How are you? Also, does SueEllen still post (from Australia I think), plus Picklewinkle???, and that great Aussie bloke whose been in braces forever? So may characters! What about Mary from Oregan?

Thanks for remembering me - Chrissie xxxxx