How did they handle your missing teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bluemoonjo

How did they handle your missing teeth?

#1 Post by Bluemoonjo »

I go in the morning for a wisdom tooth extraction, one filling and to have a perm crown put on. Then they will set up an appointmet to start my bracees :)

Haven't talked in detail about the treatment yet.

But I'm wondering how they will handle missing teeth. Had to have them extracted when I couldn't afford dental care that cost more than the extraction :(

Missing one on three sides (all molars).... and the 4th side he has said one will need to come out. Will he be able to fill the spaces up with other teeth? Or ???
Mama Jo

genxsis

#2 Post by genxsis »

They use devices with the braces to close up the gaps by pulling the teeth on each side towards each other. They are called "chains", which are elastic bands that run along the archwire. I had 4 bicuspid teeth removed prior to being braced. 2.5 months later and those spaces are really closing up.
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

missingu

#3 Post by missingu »

I have already had 4 premolars extracted for braces round 1, and the space closed easily due to existing crowding.

I had a 1st molar pulled due to fractured root/infection and the plan is for me to have an implant. It is not clinically a good idea, given the location of the gap (and size) to try to move other teeth to close the space. I would like to get the implant ASAP but have to wait 3 months for the bone to heal.

I have to have an incisor extracted, too, which will be corrected using orthodonita. Check with your ortho what they believe will provide the best clinical result, as for me it is a combined approach to missing tooth spaces.