For those with no dating hopes..

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ebjones1

For those with no dating hopes..

#1 Post by ebjones1 »

I know that a lot of us out there worry about how braces will affect our social lives. Personally, I didn't worry about that until recently - I just ended a three year relationship - It was always one of those, "Well he loves me for me and doesn't care about the braces!".. which was true, but to make a really long story short, we are no more. Anyway..

All that has happened really got me worried - I started, like many of you out there, to think about braces and how others might perceive me. One of my main concerns was that a guy would approach me, and then I'd open my mouth to say something and he'd be repulsed by all the metal. Well this weekend proved that wrong, and I feel SO positive about my braces now..

I was at a bar on Saturday having a drink with a friend, when a very attractive guy came up and sat down with us.. We talked for awhile and he bought us drinks, but I didn't really think much of it. Later on, I went to the bar (by myself) to close out my tab.. and he came up to me. He said, "You're beautiful. You have such a gorgeous smile." I thought he was crazy! I know I gave him a funny look - that's what 5 martinis does to you, hehe - and before I could even say anything, he said, "And don't even worry about the braces. You're gorgeous."

I didn't know what to say! It's like he read my mind.. Granted, I have no plans on seeing him again (no guys for me right now - always seems the nice ones come along at the most inconvenient times!).. but it really made my night.

Just thought I'd share.. :wink:

katmc_tx

#2 Post by katmc_tx »

ebjones1, that is really great !! :wink: I'm sure that gave you a great feeling. I know that when I first got these suckers on I was like :shock: I look like a dork, geek, etc... :( But my husband tells me on a regular basis how cute I look :) .
I'm sure everything with your love life will work it self out. And just know that when the right guy comes along it wont/shouldnt matter to him about your braces. It will be the person you are and not your braces the falls in like/love with. Good luck in the future!! :wink:
Got my braces off 9/20/07 after 19 months and 3 weeks. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!

Iceolated

#3 Post by Iceolated »

ebjones1,

Oh how I empathize and agree with you. I think there is entirely too much emphasis placed on physical appearance in this world. Every person has an inherent beauty regardless if they have braces, glasses, good teeth, bad teeth, bald, slim, heavy, tall short or any other trait.

I am so happy for you that you realize there are people who can see past the metal. Never let anyone make you fell like you're a lesser person because you have braces.

I will be proud to wear my braces because I know that very very few people are born with a perfect smile, the rest of us must earn it. Chances are that any person who criticizes braces could themselves use the help of such an appliance. That you are wearing braces shows that you are improving yourself and it shows you care about your health. Because as we all know correctly aligned teeth are easier to care for and that easier care will likely prevent other problems in the future.

Keep your head up and show your ever improving smile. Ignore those who see you only as a set of braces as they are probably not worthy of your time or attention anyway.

Cheers,

Ice.

Metal uppers May 2, 2006
Metal lowers September 12, 2006
Finally Nekkid July 11, 2007

With braces - pain is gain...

Some things money can't buy.
Thank God great looking teeth aren't one of them.

“But to see her was to love her, Love but her, and love foreverâ€

Geri

#4 Post by Geri »

ebjones1 - I'm so glad you met a nice guy who complimented you so wonderfully. Braces are a good way to say 'I value myself' - something I always find attractive in a person. Good luck with tons of movement and meeting more nice guys! :D
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

jaswi

#5 Post by jaswi »

I know from a personal standpoint a girl in braces has never been a turn off. However I fear that as a guy girls are going to think less of me when I have braces.. I feel there is a definate double standard in this regard, which kind of scares me, as I'm not currently in a relationship, but would really love one.

missingu

#6 Post by missingu »

jaswi wrote:I know from a personal standpoint a girl in braces has never been a turn off. However I fear that as a guy girls are going to think less of me when I have braces.. I feel there is a definate double standard in this regard, which kind of scares me, as I'm not currently in a relationship, but would really love one.
What is the perceived double standard?

DichCa

#7 Post by DichCa »

:D aw that brought a smile to my face and a huge sense of relief. I have been stressing about that since i got my braces! It's always so nice to know that there are people who do not focus on minor things, such as braces. When it comes to guys having braces, no fear my friend! The last two guys i was interested in had graces! :lol: Either way, thank you for the story!
-Noone can make you feel inferior without your consent-

Shawnie

#8 Post by Shawnie »

I enjoyed reading your story. That was such a nice compliment, and at just the right time because of your break up.

Best of luck to you. You never know when your going to be ready for another relationship. It's always when you least expect it.

Take Care
Shawnie
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06

ebjones1

#9 Post by ebjones1 »

Thanks everyone for your kind words.. It was such a good experience for me - I felt negative both for my braces and the end of my long-term relationship, and this guy kinda reinforced the fact that both were going to be okay!
It helped that he was cute, too.. He was looking at my smile and I was looking at his butt! :shock: hehehe! Sorry.. couldn't resist.. :wink:

Joanna20

#10 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey, I'm REALLY concerned with how I'm going to look to. Actually I'm depressed over it. But hey, no pain no gain!
I've decided that in the first weeks I may not go out as much as I used to, but with time and some patience I will get my life back I'm sure.
I've been waiting for so long that when I finally have them on I'll be so glad I've been given this chance that I won't worry that much. I guess in a way it's good having to wait. I do wonder about my self esteem afterwards.
Take care,
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

Leslie022

#11 Post by Leslie022 »

That was a concern of mine when I was first braced. I've had so many men and even women tell me that I look cute with the braces. I wonder if people realize how great a simple comment can make one feel when they're so insecure? It puts a big smile on my face!
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Charles08b

#12 Post by Charles08b »

Wow, can you send this guy my way???

:-#)
Char

Duffle

#13 Post by Duffle »

I know how you feel ebones1. When I had my braces put on over two years ago I was single and going through a divorce. I was convinced I'd be single at least until the braces were off. But no! I had loads of male attention which was lovely and which built on my self-esteem which is helpful after a divorce and getting braces despite the decision to get braces is a positive step it does signficantly alter your appearance and not for the better in the very beginning.

Anyway after about 8 months of brace wearing I met my wonderful boyfriend and we have a beautiful 7 month old son. I never dreamed that things would turn out so positive for me. Although I don't attribute any of this to having braces it does make me realise that wearing braces is not a barrier to have a great social life.