Anyone got braced or is getting braced in April?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

snoobie

Anyone got braced or is getting braced in April?

#1 Post by snoobie »

I am getting braced tomorrow (april 19th) at 11:15am and I was wondering if anyone else has gotten their done this month as well. Would love to hear everyone's experience, whether you were braced this month or not.

I had a very "special" long weekend, munching on popcorn, starbursts, hard candy, Riesens, corn on the cob, nuts, etc....

As it inches closer to my appointment, nervousness is starting to kick in. You guys have all be great with suggestions, so I thought I would turn to here for some comfort. Thanks everyone!

braces4me

#2 Post by braces4me »

I am getting braces on Thursday (April 20th). I have been doing the same as you as far as the eating goes. I plan on eating a nice plate of ribs tomorrow night for dinner as well as corn on the cob because it will be along time before I will be able to do that again.

ragingseas

#3 Post by ragingseas »

I am with you and getting braces tomorrow. I've been thinking about it on and off for so long. It's hard to believe I'm really doing it. And two years!! But I've already been through 4 extractions in the past week and a half, so know I'm dying to do something to close the gaps. Plus, they put 8 spacers in. I desperately want them out, so am sort of excited about braces. Also, I'm going for a haircut and color - new look to go with the new mouth - later tomorrow. Anyone else 'treating yourselves'??

Dark_angel

#4 Post by Dark_angel »

I still eat corn on the cob, nuts, peanut m'n'm's, peanut brittle, starburst, popcorn especially the toffee kind and anything else i fancy. Im just careful not to break anything. Although i did cause a wire to come out of place eating a yorkie but that was because the wire was over my extraction gap and it was the first wire which i could bend anyway.

When i went to have my braces on i'd already had molar bands placed so i went in, sat down, they put retractors in and they cleaned my teeth. I then had a suction tube in my mouth so i didnt swallow any of the bonding stuff and they placed the brackets and then set the glue with a uv light. The stuff tastes disgusting so avoid getting it where u can taste it.

A wire was then placed and i chose purple and black ligs.

perfectangel818

#5 Post by perfectangel818 »

I get braced thursday (apr 20) at 2pm. I'm so excited, I can hardly wait!
Stacy

Nothingface

#6 Post by Nothingface »

I had braces put on yesterday. I'm 29 years old and while I wasn't thrilled with the idea of having to get them on at this point in my life, the experience hasn't been that bad. I've had sporadic discomfort or what I guess you can refer to as "pain" but it really doesn't affect me all that much. Although I've only had my braces on (only top row right now) for about 30 hours, the discomfort pretty much stopped about an hour ago. It's funny how my mouth feels like it became more adjusted without me even realizing it until I thought about it.

The most difficult thing for me right now is eating. It's tough to chew but I really get aggravated at everything getting caught in the braces. My mouth feels pretty disgusting after I eat so I immediately run to brush them. It's the most unpleasant issue right now (eating and having things stuck in the braces) but I'm sure I'll get used to that very soon.

blondie111

#7 Post by blondie111 »

I'm getting braced tomorrow also (4/19) at 9am!! I've had the brackets on and the lovely spacers in for a week now, so now I get the wires tomorrow!

I did the same thing my last "days" before getting the brackets on.....eat everything bad! :twisted: I'm having some trouble eating now as it is, so I'm assuming with the wires, I will have to learn all over again how to eat. Oh well, it's worth it when you see the final outcome, although for me it could be 2 years!

I am treating myself too this weekend, getting my summer highlights put in my hair and possibly a new hair cut (???) Hope all goes well at your appt tomorrow, Snoobie!! Keep us posted as how it goes!! :computer:

I'm 32 and will be in braces for almost 2 years!

Bright Star

Braced 4/11/06

#8 Post by Bright Star »

I got braced exactly a week ago. I'm 25 y.o. and new to this board. I think the worst part of the process so far was just having the spacers in. It was difficult to eat on the second day. My advice is to eat either right before or right after you get your braces on before the pain settles in.

I treated myself to a weekend in Houston and I have to say that I was amazed at how many guys still came up to talk to me. So it's good to know that having braces for the net 2 years of my life will not hinder my social life

snoobie

#9 Post by snoobie »

You guys are WONDERFUL! Thanks for sharing your stories! And it's great to know that I wasn't the only one having a "last supper" weekend before getting the braces on.

Dark_angel: Thanks for sharing the "bracing" process with us. Now I have an idea on what will happen tomorrow.

I read on this board that even after getting braced, they still pretty much ate anything they wanted, which is great. But my estimated timeline for my braces is about 18 months, and I really don't have much room for mistakes since I'll be getting married in September next year. I am hoping everything will be on schedule, but if it isn't, then it isn't...but I would love to have that straight teeth smile, unbraced, on my wedding day.

Anyhoot, i just love hearing everyone's stories and anxieties. It makes me feel less lonely and less nervous.

Tiffchelle

#10 Post by Tiffchelle »

Hello! I got braced on April 4th, and believe it or not, I've completely adjusted to having these things in my mouth. It took about a week, but the tenderness went away, and I am able to eat most anything I want (a little slower, maybe). I found that taking the advice on this board really helped - saltwater rinses, and waxing when you feel a bracket rub. I've done that, and I have yet to have any sore or cuts in my cheeks. It only took about 20-30 minutes for me to be totally braced, though I have to go tomorrow to get the bands on my molars - they couldn't get them on the first time. I got ceramics on top, with pink ligs, and metals on bottom with teal and pink ligs - very cute!

Anyhow, I understand your nervousness. I barely slept the night before. But I am sure you will be fine! You may have some discomfort the first few days (sometimes I wanted to rip them out), but you get over it, and you move on. After a week, I felt so much better, and now 2 weeks later and I feel great. I wish you all the best! Try to get some rest, and just relax, and everything will be fine.

Joanna20

#11 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey, I'm having my second appointment in May, I dunno about braces yet.
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

goodnessgracious

#12 Post by goodnessgracious »

I just got braced today
[April 18, 2006] well,
i got 6ceramics put
on my upper-front teeth.
in 5weeks hes gonna put
on my damon3s!!

pedouard

#13 Post by pedouard »

I'm getting braced on April 28th!! I am so excited, can't wait. right after getting my braces my b-day is coming up on Apr 30, and my husband is taking me on a surprise trip. Yah!!! Also tomorrow April 19th, I will go to get a couple cavities filled with my dentist, so This is a busy month for me. Congrats to everyone who is getting or has gotten their braces!!!
having braces is a huge step, feel proud of yourself that you took this step to better your self!!!!!

bogiee

#14 Post by bogiee »

Hello everybody just got my spacers this morning and my ortho talk to me about the treatment plan, I have an underbite and he's giving me 27 months of treatment including surgery top and bottom jaws...owwws :cry: . I'll be getting my metals next week april 26, hope everything goes fine.

mrs z

#15 Post by mrs z »

I got mine April 19th too and I am NOT liking this experience! I got clear on top and gold on the bottom and the gold looks really awful....so I am going back next week to have silver put on the bottoms. Its that bad.
The inside of my right cheek got torn up from the upper band. And the bottom right band on the inside it cutting my tongue. Is that normal?
Also I have another question.....my ortho did not take any teeth out even though I have crowding on the bottom. He is going to "file" them down as we go along? I don't know where he is going to find enough room with no space? I know he's the expert and has been doing this since I was born (1968) but I am just concerned. I may even be regretting this. Maybe I should have dealt with the crooked teeth on the bottms? They really were not bad....I don't know. :cry: