Last minute advice??? braces tomorrow!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ragingseas

Last minute advice??? braces tomorrow!

#1 Post by ragingseas »

Hi Folks,
There has been lots of great stuff out there on the message board, but I've had trouble finding this in a clear format.
I'm going in tomorrow (10 am) to get the braces on. I had extractions last week (4 bicuspids) and spacers put in (dying to get them out!!). But the brackets, bands and wires go on tomorrow. Any tips before going in? Or things for those first few days? Can you tell I'm a little anxious?
FYI - I'm getting ceramic on the upper front teeth and metal every where else. Also, I'm getting self-ligating brackets (no rubber bands) and heat activating wires. My ortho says this will be a much easier process than it was 20 years ago when I did this the first time around. I hope so, because that was hell.
Any advice and encouraging words are much appreciated!! Thanks!

OneTime

#2 Post by OneTime »

Have a big breakfast if you can and go to the restroom ahead of time. Getting brace will be approx. 45 min per arch. Enjoy, let us know how it goes.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

Tiffchelle

#3 Post by Tiffchelle »

Hello!
I got braced 2 weeks ago, and I had a very pleasant experience. These boards were a great help to me as well, and I felt very prepared when I went in - nervous still, but very prepared.

I do recommend a last minute restroom trip, and enjoy a wonderful breakfast. I found it also helped to have a pain reliever before going in - my ortho recommended that I take ibuprofen along with one tylenol (he said the tylenol helps the ibuprofen do its job better). Also, in the first couple days, make sure you rinse with saltwater, and put on wax whenever you feel discomfort. I also found it difficult to eat anything that required any kind of chewing for about 2 days. There were times in the first few days that I almost regretted my decision, and wanted these darn things off, but I did find that after about a week, I was eating many more things, and now at 2 weeks, I pretty much eat whatever I want with minimal discomfort (unless you count having to clean rice out of your brackets in public).

Anyhow, you'll be fine, and it'll be over before you know it. I wish you all the very best as you prepare for this. Try to get some rest tonight, and be sure to post and let us know how it goes!

~Tiffany

jennielee81

#4 Post by jennielee81 »

That is EXCELLENT advice, Tiffchelle. :D I don't think you missed a single detail!

ragingseas, I also have self-ligating brackets and I really like them. Because of no ligs (but no fun colors) things seem to move more quickly in the initial stages. I felt discomfort for a few more days than most, but that may have been me and not the brackets...my point, if you feel discomfort for more than a few days, hang in there!!! :yikes:, it always passes!

I also take a combo of Tylenol and Advil when things seem to be more than "uncomfortable".

Let us know how it goes and post PICTURES!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

ragingseas

#5 Post by ragingseas »

Thanks so much everyone. I'm going in in an hour. I'll let you all know how it went. I've been drinking lots of water for days. Breakfast is a little hard, b/c of the extractions and spacers, I haven't really been eating in a week or so. But I guess that means I'm already used to the soft food diet. the other night my husband asked what I was making for dinner, I looked at the mashed sweet potato and carrot dish on the stove and said, "baby food". it looks liek we might be eating baby food every few weeks or so. Anyway, thanks so much!!