3rd and probably last consult today...odd

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Nille

3rd and probably last consult today...odd

#1 Post by Nille »

I had my 3rd consult today and it was different from the others. As I have mentioned I LOVE the Ortho and staff I saw last thursday but I already had this appt and figured I should see what he had to say. He was saying he wanted me to see a Periodontist about gum recession. He wouldn't do braces or talk about a detailed treatment plan until I did that. He gave me a rough estimate of 18 to 30 months where everyone else has been 12-18 months. I have seen my dentist and 2 other Orthos in the past 3 weeks and they all commented on what a healthy mouth I had. I am now confused as to wether I shoud see the periodontist. Plus I don't think my insurance would cover it. I really want to just go to the Dr. I liked last week and forget about this consult all together. Would that be a big mistake?

Joanna20

#2 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey, I wonder why he only told you that thing about ur gums now. It's really weird since It's the third time he's seen you. And it's also weird that none of the other doct. mentioned it. :(
Why don't you do some research on gum recession?
Good luck,
Joe

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

Okay, you're right...this is odd.

I would go back to the ortho you liked so much and ask him if he/she sees any gum problems.

Perhaps this last ortho has $$ invested in the practice of the perio? Just being "devil's advocate" here. I had a surgeon tell me about this connection a few years ago.

Let us know what happens! And Best of LUck to you!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

spogal22

#4 Post by spogal22 »

Did the ortho say that you had gum recession or that you should see a periodontist about gum recession? One ortho that i had a consult with told me that I needed to see a periodontist first. But he also said that he requires all patients over age 20 to see a periodontist to identify any gum recession issues.

I didn't end up going with this ortho, but because what he said did stick with me (and because insurance paid for it) I went ot the periodontist anyways. He poked around for a short period and said he didnt see any gum recession or deep pockets to be concerned about. So it may be that you don't have any real gum recession problems but that your ortho likes to be extra careful. The way the ortho talked about requireing all patients over 20 see a periodontist made it seem like it was a liability issue. If they require you to see a periodontist at the beginning of treatment, it can't be negligence on their part if something occurs further down the road.

smilezofmetal2

#5 Post by smilezofmetal2 »

If 2 out of 3 doc's didnt recommend you to see a periodonist...then I would definitely raise an eyebrow to the 3rd doc...I would go with the ortho that you saw on thursday cuz the staff is so important during your treatment...I love my ortho and his staff and it makes the journey a lot less tense :D .

Flora2006

#6 Post by Flora2006 »

I agree with others. This is strange. If he is the only one saying things about your gums...

If your dentist says your gums are fine, and 2 other orthos haven't mentioned anything...I think those 3 people win.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. Maybe you could go see your dentist again and ask the state your gums are in.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006