Braces off before payment complete?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Leslie022

Braces off before payment complete?

#1 Post by Leslie022 »

Many people have been getting their braces off recently. Also, I have been wondering how my treatment is supposed to last the estimated 18 months. 18 months is also the length of my contract. I was wondering if orthos ever take the braces off before you have completed your contract or do they usually have your treatment last until that time?
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

mackenzie

#2 Post by mackenzie »

I'm very interested in this too because I could be in this situation in a few months. *fingers crossed*

Anyone have info please?

Anticipator

#3 Post by Anticipator »

From what I've read here, the day your braces come off should not be the last time you visit your ortho. Most people seem to have (and my contract states) a series of follow up visits and retainer checks, usually for at least a year.

You've probably already prepaid for that service in your contract, so they do have that financial leverage -- if you stop paying you're forgoing a portion of your treatment.

When writing out my contract, they extended monthly payments slightly beyond the 20 month estimate, so I'm not sure if they anticipated it going slightly longer, and/or they found me trustworthy enough at the time.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

Leslie022

#4 Post by Leslie022 »

Lucyloop wrote:Do you people who are paying for treatment have some sort of payment plan which means the account is settled on a specific date no matter what? Or do you have to save for the treatment and pay when it is asked?
<b>Lucy</b>, I have a payment book that is dated and includes the payment amount. I pay $215 USD/month. I detach the slip and include it with my payment. I believe my payments should be finished in July or August of next year.
Fixed bottom retainer

kirst1583

#5 Post by kirst1583 »

Lucyloop wrote:Do you people who are paying for treatment have some sort of payment plan which means the account is settled on a specific date no matter what? Or do you have to save for the treatment and pay when it is asked?
Yeah I had an actual plan. Every 3 mths I had to make a payment. They weren't really strict though. I could just fix them up at the following adjustment, I didn't have to make a special trip just to pay.
Lucyloop wrote:Are there no details in the contracts? This sort of situation must happen all the time. If it is finished early - do you pay at the later date? Or if your treatment is extended, do you in theory pay for it sooner?
I don't know about in my contract, but my payments were spread over 18mths. At the time I just assumed that was the minimum amount of time treatment would be (after being on this board I realise some people's are less than that though). I ended up finishing paying them off in half my treatment time so luckily this is something I wont have to worry about.
Lucyloop wrote:Just out of curiosity - do they charge extra if your treatment doesn't go according to plan/ more work is needed?
Luckily for me, no. I've taken a year longer than estimated and everything is still covered in that original price.

kirst1583

#6 Post by kirst1583 »

Sorry, I think there's some kind of issue with the quotes.
I previewed and realised it hadn't worked properly but didn't want to type it all out again, so I do apologise for it being hard to read.

Keith

#7 Post by Keith »

I think that the Office Manager/Secretary takes care of the money. My orthodontist does not get involved with the payments at all. He just does the braces. I would think that is a pretty common practice.

perfectangel818

#8 Post by perfectangel818 »

on my budget agreement, it says if treatment ends earlier than expected, I'm still expected to continue payments. My estimated treatment time is 24-27 months, and my payments are until 27 months. Of course, then I have 2 years of follow up visits. Hope this helps
Stacy

Leslie022

#9 Post by Leslie022 »

Ok, I read my contract it reads as follows:

<b>The balance of payments will be due the 1st of each month.
There is no interest carrying charge made for payment of treatment.
THE TOTAL BALANCE IS DUE BY THE TIME APPLIANCES ARE REMOVED!</b>

So I guess that answers my question about my ortho!
Fixed bottom retainer

smilezofmetal2

#10 Post by smilezofmetal2 »

I think they wait until you are done paying...In my case I supposed to have my braces removed in January...Go figure I get them off a month after I finish my payments...coincidence? I think not :lol:

Flora2006

#11 Post by Flora2006 »

I had to give a 25% down payment and then I pay until July 2007. My estimation is 24 months but then I have 2 years of appointments for the retainers and such...so I don't think I would have to pay it all off if the braces were to come off sooner than expected.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

susieq182

#12 Post by susieq182 »

I asked my ortho about that very thing before I even signed my contract. I dont like to pay for services i might not receive. I was told that the contract amount is the cost of the braces plus the average cost of treatment for the time you are to be in braces. This includes retainers and 5 years of retainer care. They explained that if my treatment ends early it would be pro-rated out so i would not pay from treatment i didnt get. same if I had to end my treatment for some reason I would have to pay the banding and bonding fee before I could end treatment, but not for most of the other cost.
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

HeadgearJoe

#13 Post by HeadgearJoe »

susieq182 wrote:I asked my ortho about that very thing before I even signed my contract. I dont like to pay for services i might not receive. I was told that the contract amount is the cost of the braces plus the average cost of treatment for the time you are to be in braces. This includes retainers and 5 years of retainer care. They explained that if my treatment ends early it would be pro-rated out so i would not pay from treatment i didnt get. same if I had to end my treatment for some reason I would have to pay the banding and bonding fee before I could end treatment, but not for most of the other cost.
hay that would be great pay them off an they take the darn things off , not in my case, i paid mine off last month an i still have some issue's an still have three more months of adjustment on the books, there hasn't been anything said or sighed about more monie for more treatment , headgearjoe
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

alexa

#14 Post by alexa »

My ortho payments will continue for several months post brace removal, based on the type of payment plan I was offered when I signed up for treatment.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

Aine

#15 Post by Aine »

My ortho told me that my brace time would be 20 months. His office set up my payment plan on the first day thru a company called OrthoBlanc....they take the payment directly out of my checking account on the 18th of each month....for 20 months.