how many lbs u can lose since you brace????

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

poloaa

how many lbs u can lose since you brace????

#1 Post by poloaa »

I just wonder if braces really can make u lose weights or not?? Or just the beginning of the treatment, then later will eat as much as before??? I hope i can lose a few lbs...hee hee

Po

Brandyleigh35

#2 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

I've lost 7lbs since getting braced Feb 3rd. I've had a Surgically Assisted rapid palate expansion, and I'm also wearing an RPE appliance which makes eating more difficult, however, even with just my braces I ate less as I didn't want to have to clean my teeth 10 times a day. So I suppose it just depends on the person....I don't think my son is losing any weight due to his braces, but I sure am and I remember reading about another person who has lost close to 50lbs since getting braced. Just depends on the person I guesss.

Brandy

OneTime

#3 Post by OneTime »

For a guy, none. Trying not to miss a meal.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

Dark_angel

#4 Post by Dark_angel »

Nope, i need to put weight on not loose it. For the first week or two it was hard to eat, and i hadnt been able to eat hard things for a few weeks before my brace went on because of my extractions. After a month or so i ate everything again, even things on the no no list.

Another bad thing is that pudding is soft, so even when i couldnt eat hard things there was rice pudding, chocolate pudding, syrup sponge, pancakes....the list goes on.

materialsgirl

#5 Post by materialsgirl »

I haven't lost any weight as a result of having braces. I had no problem finding soft things to eat while my teeth were sore, and the soreness didn't last very long. Now I eat just like I did before braces. :)

CLAmom

#6 Post by CLAmom »

10 lbs. since Feb. 22nd. I needed to lose some, though. That and growing long fingernails (I used to chew) are the two happy side effects of having braces. :lol:

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

poloaa

#7 Post by poloaa »

I will have braces on may.12 early morning, good luck to me and i will let u know if i lose any weights. I had the extractions two days ago, but i still eat food as fast as usual, just avoid eating peanuts, hard candies...etc, i hope i could lose few pounds.

Po

smilezofmetal2

#8 Post by smilezofmetal2 »

5lbs...just because I dont want to brush my teeth all the time! :oops:

susieq182

#9 Post by susieq182 »

24 lbs and falling but I have a fixed bite plate so I cant really chew much I was on a liquid diet for a couple months.
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

poloaa

#10 Post by poloaa »

oh no, 24 lbs?? do u mind to tell me how many lbs u are now?? are u happy or not??

x3trinity

#11 Post by x3trinity »

Poola, did you read my mind? :)

I have been wanting to ask that question too! I have read how a lot of people have lost weight and I have had my braces for a month and I still eat as much as I did before. I do hate cleaning my braces and getting food stuff in them, but it really doesn't bother me that much. I just go to the bathroom and clean them.

I need to lose about 10 pounds and I thought having my braces would give me a jump start but so far my plan has not worked! :?

"God's love is always with you, God's promises are true."

poloaa

#12 Post by poloaa »

x3trinity, u are right, me too, i want to lose 10 lbs, since i gave birth of 2, my tummy is alwayssssssssssss big and i really need that 10 lbs disappear, haha.

jcdamon3

#13 Post by jcdamon3 »

I only lost 3. Eight months later I am now eating like a pig like I always did. I never really needed to lose the three pounds though so I wouldn't be surprised now that I am totally comfortable eating everything that the pounds will come back slowly.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

newsysuzy

#14 Post by newsysuzy »

I have lost about 15 pounds since getting braced in November...and kept it off. I've been on the mushy food/soup diet pretty much the whole time. My teeth always seem to hurt...don't know if it's the Damon 3s or just my mouth but it always feels as though my teeth are loose and it hurts to bite down. So I can't eat chips or cookies or all the crunchy, chewy things I love. It's ok though...I don't mind the forced diet and maybe I'll actually eat better when this is all over. :)

tkais

#15 Post by tkais »

I have lost 20 lbs since being braced, about 20 months. that equals to one pound a month. I plan on trying to keep it off after braces too.