Loss of Taste?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MsMargo

Loss of Taste?

#1 Post by MsMargo »

Hi Folks!

My braces went on March 22nd, but over the past month I've noticed that I've lost a lot of my sense of taste. At first I had the bad metal taste from my molar bands and could taste a bit of the cement, but that toned down over time. Now, I find that everything just tastes pretty bland. I even tried eating my favorite cashew nuts (yes, I know nuts are forbidden), but I gave up after just a few because they really didn't taste like anything.

I'll mention this when I see my Ortho in a week, but I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Thanks,
-Ms. Margo

Leslie022

#2 Post by Leslie022 »

Maybe your tongue is a little beat up from the brackets/bands and hasn't completely gone back to normal. Just a thought...
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

MsMargo

#3 Post by MsMargo »

Thanks so much for the encouragement... it seems to be coming back slowly. I'll post about what my Ortho says.

-MsMargo

susieq182

#4 Post by susieq182 »

Hey MsMargo do you happen to have any appliances that are lingual?
I ask because I have a bite plate which has removed the majority of my sweet tasters, so candy and ice cream and generally anything with a sweet taste doesnt really taste at all. they are starting to grow back though since my tongue has gotten tougher. its been about 4 months though.
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

Kell

#5 Post by Kell »

Do you use any kind of mouth wash that has peroxide in it such as Colgate Peroxyl? Anything with peroxide makes me lose my sense of taste. It does come back after I stop using it.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

SmileyGirl

#6 Post by SmileyGirl »

I had never thought of it as "losing" my sense of taste, but I've noticed in the past month that because I'm not able to bite down it's very difficult to chew, so I give food a chomp or two (not being able to fully bite down) and have noticed that I can barely taste any food.

I had an expander put in yesterday and the first time I tried to eat was this morning. Not only could I not chew (all my top teeth were sore, including my fronts), it is hard to swallow since swallowing involves pushing the food up to the roof of my mouth. I was not able to taste a thing.

Might this be part of your problem?
Top brackets: 24 March 2006
Extractions: 21 April 2006
Expander: 28 April 2006

akabraces

#7 Post by akabraces »

Well I just had a Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookie Sundae with Nestle Crunch bits, chocolate sauce, whip cream, and walnuts, and my taste has
definitely not been affected!!! It was ammmmmazing!!!

*aka