Ever feel like giving up

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

johnnyboy519

Ever feel like giving up

#1 Post by johnnyboy519 »

Hi guys im new to archwired..I have had my braces on for around a month now and i really feel like i just want them off..I was told it will take approx. 18 months to complete and i just feel like i won't be able to handle these things in my mouth for that long.. :cry:

JoeMama

#2 Post by JoeMama »

Yes - And I'm really glad you brought this up. I have that thought occasionally (ok, a lot). I get really upset about all the metal in my mouth, attached to my teeth. I can usually talk myself out of it, and using this message board seems to help too. Sometimes it helps me to be more positive for myself by being positive for other people. Does that make sense? And I'm inspired by those here who seem to have such a healthy attitude. But I hear you about the 18 months! And being at the beginning of it is tough.
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

fins

#3 Post by fins »

It's very difficult to hang in there but once you pass the halfway mark things get a little easier.

pucca26

#4 Post by pucca26 »

Hi, why r u felling so down?
Do u think it's uncomfortable? are brackets hurting you? are you shame on them? what's the problem?
What kind of braces r u using?
Upper Lingual Braces - On, April 7th, 2006 - Off, August 23rd, 2007
Lower Inspire Ice Braces - On, June 9th, 2006 - Off, January 3rd, 2008

invisagirl

#5 Post by invisagirl »

Its ironic this topic has come up cause lately I've been thinking about it more than I care to admit.

For me when I just had braces on the top arch things were great. When I got my bottom braces on (2 days before moving across the country temporarily, and 3 days after breaking my foot) things didn't go so well. I think some of it was lack of prepardness but really with everything going on it just simply wasn't going to happen. Anyway with a full set of braces I have constant mouth sores from having a severly dry mouth (due to medication). Last night in the span of an hour watching t.v. my tongue got cut up and swollen from 2 cleats. I use the special mouthwash, toothpaste, wax, etc to no avail. My dentists office is surprised I've made it this long given what bad shape my tongue, checks, etc are in.

Last week at my checkup my ortho said she's adding another set of bands w/cleats cause one tooth that is braced is going astray. With the prospects of things getting even worse I've thought a lot about just saying enough is enough but I figure before I make any decision I'll tell her what is going on and see if there's anything she can suggest to help things. I mean she added 2 extra hooks to my archwire and then decided not to use them but kept them there. So even though the hooks aren't going to be used for at least 6+ weeks I have two more huge sores in my upper lip. I think I just need her to work with me a little to make things a little more bearable.

Anyway before making a final call tell you ortho why your thinking that and see what they say.

2.6 years (30 months) with Invisalign plus 19 months 2 weeks with metal braces to achieve the perfect smile.

Flora2006

#6 Post by Flora2006 »

Goodness, I feel like giving up everyday! lol But I won't because I'm too stubborn and I know that if I would give up, I would hate myself for it!

My biggest concern is the fact that I'm 22 and next year I'm graduating from University and starting a career where your image and appearance is very important...so having braces on bothers me and makes me feel really self-conscious...

But yeah, I just remind myself everyday how beautiful my teeth will be once this is over :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

ingyandbert

#7 Post by ingyandbert »

Heck no! I'm thrilled to have them on because no matter how uncomfortable it was in the beginning, I knew it'd be worth it in the end.

Eyes on the prize, my friend...

missingu

#8 Post by missingu »

johnnyboy519- I agree with pucca26 - can you identify what is really bothering you about the braces, like is it how they feel in your mouth, getting food caught, or more psychcological like how you feel about yourself with braces on.

Identifying the source of the problem is really important so you and the ortho can work on a good solution. For some people, it takes longer than other for their mouth to "toughen up" so physical aspects sometimes correct themselves.

Psychological are tougher, and really necessitate understanding why the braces are bothering you. There have been multiple threads about people feeling less attractive, but equal responses that their dating life didn't suffer. Or, are there feelings tied to getting braces that have to do with family issues (like people tried to dissuade you and now you are constantly defending yoursef).

invisagirl

There's nothing wrong with asking the ortho to remove unnecessary hardware if it is bothering you. We're taught not to "challenge authority" but if the cleats/hooks were left in for her convenience, it's still your mouth, and you don't need to suffer any more than you are.

My recommendation is that, if possible, you get a few moments with the ortho, off the treatment floor, and share your concerns. Indicate that compliance is important to you, but also keeping treatment simple and streamlined. If something is not necessary til weeks down the road, ask if it can be removed and reinserted at that time. If the ortho poo-poos your concerns, or takes the "I'm the expert and I know what I am doing and don't challenge me" attitude, you may have some major decisions to make. Probably, she just didn't realize that you had major dry mouth, which really makes things tough, so maybe you and she could talk about sugar-free mints that you could keep in your mouth to keep your mouth more hydrated.

You're not alone in feeling that enough is enough. Most people just don't talk about it. I think it is Shakespeare who said "unto thine own self be true." Communicate with the ortho, but also trust yourself.

Good luck.

johnnyboy519

#9 Post by johnnyboy519 »

Thank you guys so much for all your replies..I have conventional metal braces on which makes it difficult to feel confident. So yes the way I look is upseting me mostly..But I have major sores in my mouth..My lips are so cut up and my tongue aswell..I just feel so ugly with these on. On top of that im dealing with so much pain which makes it hard to speak that im just ready to give up..I know i have invested so much money into this that i most likely won't give up, but right now everything is downhill and hopefully ill cheer up soon..Thank you all for your responses. :lol:

ingyandbert

#10 Post by ingyandbert »

If your mouth is getting cut up that badly, you're not rinsing with warm salt water enough or applying wax soon enough. Try stepping it up and if you're still having problems, try this stuff called Glyoxide.

Evelyn

#11 Post by Evelyn »

I feel for you Johnny, I know it can be hard especially when you're at the beginning of your treatment to ever even think about the final product. So many feelings of 'what have I done' and 'These? For THAT long?' kind of thoughts are completely normal. Just remember, you are probably at the hardest stage right now, in too deep to climb out but not to the fun part where you really see the results. It's completely normal, but all I can say is to forget about counting the days. They'll pass on their own time and the sooner you accept the fact that braces are just a part of who you are and not an impairment, it makes things a lot easier to handle.

I can sympathize with you because I feel like that literally every single day. I can't even count the number of times I've headed for the pliars but stopped myself. But I've heald it out for 43 months now, and I'll tell you, although it's still very trying, it doesn't feel quite as long as it sounds and 18 months should pass by in no time. Man, if I only could have worn my braces for 18 months.....

Keep your eyes on the prize and my advice would be to just accept the braces and then move on with your life. Develop a new hobby, join a new recreational sports team-they're all out there and I find that distracting myself has been the easiest way for me to pass the time.

Good luck and stick with it ~Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

Chris

#12 Post by Chris »

I couldn't have said it better, Evelyn.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

pucca26

#13 Post by pucca26 »

johnnyboy519 I have a partner at work that is 27, and she is a girl, and I think women are more concerned than men about their appearance, well, she got metal braces about a year ago and the first mouth was awful for her, she was cried every day, she thought about taking them off, she was always talking to her closer friends about how depressed she felt about wearing them, but now I can tell you that her attitude has changed a lot, she almost doesn’t remember them, her smile is almost perfect and she also talks to anyone about the braces and jokes about them and how she felt at the beginning, no complex at all. I’m sure you’ll be able to fell better about it. Good luck.
Upper Lingual Braces - On, April 7th, 2006 - Off, August 23rd, 2007
Lower Inspire Ice Braces - On, June 9th, 2006 - Off, January 3rd, 2008

blondie111

#14 Post by blondie111 »

I can surely sympathize with you too Johnny, as I've been in braces only a week, but I do feel very self concious about them too, and I have the ceramic kinds on the top! But mostly because my 2 eye teeth stick out so much, that when I smile or laugh, my lips get caught on those brackets and I have to make a very concious effort to get my lips back over them to close my mouth. It's a pain in a professional setting at work when I'm in meetings with clients. So I know what you mean...

But like others have said here, it will only get better. I have been busy at work and outside of work, and that definatly seems to help keep my mind off them. I also agree that if you act like you don't have them, you won't be drawing any attention to them, and most likely people won't even notice! I have tried that and it seems to work pretty good. I will be in them for 18-24 months too, so I just have to get used to them! I tell myself there is NO other alternative! 8)

So hang in there, let time pass, but find out from your ortho if there is anything they can do to help you get more comfortable....

I'm 32 and will be in braces for almost 2 years!

ebjones1

#15 Post by ebjones1 »

I feel like that quite often.. even though I've only had them 3 out of 30 months - which I guess, as I'm trying to stay positive, means i'm 1/10 of the way done with my treatment! Hehehe!