Periodontist appointments ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sherri

Periodontist appointments ?

#1 Post by Sherri »

Just wondering if others out there have to go for regular check ups with a periodontist? My ortho insists that all of his adult patients go every six months just to be on the safe side, that their gums are doing okay. I wasn't sure if other orthos did this or not. It adds a bit more cost on as well.

jas_2008

#2 Post by jas_2008 »

my dentist recommended it, so now I have a perio check up and cleaning every 6 months, besides cleaning by my dentist every 6 months... that 4 times a year! I'm hoping this helps to keep my gums in good condition :)

flowertowngal

Different advice

#3 Post by flowertowngal »

My ortho said the same thing but he said to alternate the visits - a six month checkup/cleaning from the periodontist and then a 6 month checkup/cleaning from my regular dentist - so that follows the regular twice a year schedule - 4 times a year seems like a lot...

jcdamon3

#4 Post by jcdamon3 »

I have not had my ortho or my dentist say anything about perio visits or extra dental cleanings. They usually comment about how clean my teeth are though, so I assume all is good. Once a year my dentist checks for pockets in the gums and I usually "pass" the test.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

jaswi

#5 Post by jaswi »

my ortho shares the same building as a perio. He didn't mention to me anything about seing a perio. I was kind of impressed, as when I went for my initial consult my ortho checked for pockets.. pretty thourough guy.