levelling questions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracedlei

levelling questions

#1 Post by bracedlei »

So I just had my first adjustment yesterday (I am braced for more than a month). I asked my ortho if there have been any improvements so far, and she said not to ask her that question yet. :Questions:

During the adjustment, she replaced my archwire with a more thicker and stiffer wire, and she said that she is now levelling my teeth. (Remember this is just my first adjustment). My teeth are not perfectly aligned yet. Is this ok?

Another thing is, I have 4 molars with molar bands (one on each side of my mouth). Do you think the other molars without bands will move together with the molars with bands when she move them to close my gaps?

I don't think my doctor is too keen on answering my questions, that's why sometimes I never bother. :roll:

===============
I got braced on 3-22-06.
I had my 1st adjustment 4-26-06

JenB

#2 Post by JenB »

I know what you mean! my ortho always seems bothered when I ask her questions!!!! like I'm questioning her abilities. I did, however, ask the assistant to leave the last time and had a "heart to heart" with my ortho - because I am unhappy with my treatment at this point. She took my questions seriously under these circumstances...

jas_2008

#3 Post by jas_2008 »

Had my first adjustment yesterday as well... I had the same wires put back on, and powerchains. my ortho didn't explain much... when I asked whether my teeth are moving "according to plan", he said" we can't make judgement yet, it's too early" !!!

But since last night I've been feeling my bite is different from before the ajustment. most of my teeth are sore and I cann't eat solid food again. so maybe something is happening... I will go back in 3 weeks for another ajustment.

Idislikebraces

#4 Post by Idislikebraces »

Teeth always get sore when u have an adjustment... :o
August 10, 2005
Ceramic Uppers and Metal Bottoms!
A few months later a Nance Appliance.
anddd nowwww:
De bonding on October 23, 2007!

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

[/quote]So I just had my first adjustment yesterday (I am braced for more than a month). I asked my ortho if there have been any improvements so far, and she said not to ask her that question yet.

During the adjustment, she replaced my archwire with a more thicker and stiffer wire, and she said that she is now levelling my teeth. (Remember this is just my first adjustment). My teeth are not perfectly aligned yet. Is this ok?

Another thing is, I have 4 molars with molar bands (one on each side of my mouth). Do you think the other molars without bands will move together with the molars with bands when she move them to close my gaps?

I don't think my doctor is too keen on answering my questions, that's why sometimes I never bother.

I don't know why orthos can't answer if there has been any improvement. My ortho always says a little "something" to keep me motivated, like "your doing great" or something. Next time maybe you could ask the question differently, like instead of has their been any improvement try asking, has their been any movement. My Ortho always has my pictures right there on the computer and shows me.

All the molars will move together. Don't worry. It doesn't matter if they have molar bands or not, as long as they have brackets on them.

If your ortho replaced your wire then there has been movement/improvement or she would not have replaced the wire. The fact that she changed the wire, means that the first wire she put in did it's job. Aligning and leveling can happen at the same time so don't worry. I have aligning, leveling and rotating all going on at once.

Cheers!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

jcdamon3

#6 Post by jcdamon3 »

oops my quote got reversed!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Way Too Old For This

#7 Post by Way Too Old For This »

That is too bad that your ortho isn't very communicative. I think the encouragement I get from the whole ortho office is very helpful.

You could still get molar bands on the other molars. I got 4 the first time, then two more after 6 months. It all depends on how things are moving I guess.

I think everyone's treatment is so different and the pain associated is very different. I usually have some pain right after an adjustment, but since the first one, the pain always goes away after about 30 hours. Every once in a while one tooth will just start hurting seemingly for no reason, but it never lasts too long.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Idislikebraces

#8 Post by Idislikebraces »

Meh...my teeth get sore...usually..but not everytime..they get sore if i eat something hard nd what not..so yea...
August 10, 2005
Ceramic Uppers and Metal Bottoms!
A few months later a Nance Appliance.
anddd nowwww:
De bonding on October 23, 2007!

ssfw

#9 Post by ssfw »

Way Too Old For This wrote:That is too bad that your ortho isn't very communicative. I think the encouragement I get from the whole ortho office is very helpful.
I agree with Way Too Old For This. I think if my two orthodontists were not so kind, compassionate and highly skilled, I probably would not had proceeded with ortho treatment. I'm very fortunate that both orthodontists at my office are the greatest, so at each of my appointments it doesn't matter to me which orthodontist sees me.

I hope your ortho mellows out a bit because you are entitled to it and if not you may want to share your feelings with her as JenB did.

ssfw
~~~~~~~~
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

kirst1583

#10 Post by kirst1583 »

Teeth always get sore when u have an adjustment... :o
Idislikebraces ... who told you this ...

In eight months I've had two adjustments that caused a little discomfort. One was the first when I had my lower brackets put on ... but my uppers were fine. The second time was my last adjustment when I had two partial powrechains put on my left side and two new archwires.

I think you will feel pain if you expect to, if major changes are made and maybe if you have a low pain tolerance. For many of us ... we're fortunate enough to be able to agree with the statement that 'that pain does not go hand in hand with modern orthodontics! :banana:

I have to agree with you there. I've had some adjustments where I haven't felt a thing afterwards.
Most of the time though my teeth are real tender for exactly a week....