Using a lot of wax now, wasn't before?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LizzyG

Using a lot of wax now, wasn't before?

#1 Post by LizzyG »

I used a bit of wax when I first had my braces, then I had quite a long phase where I didn't need to use wax at all. Now though, and for about the last 2 weeks, the braces are rubbing in all sorts of different places. The wires seem to have poked out of the back bracket, upper and lower, on my right-hand side. About 3 brackets at the lower front are chafing like mad, and from time to time an upper bracket on the incisor (? dunno if thats the right name?) on each side is rubbing!

So, why all of a sudden are they rubbing like this? With the wire getting longer, I thought maybe my teeth are straightening out and the wire has less distance to travel round my teeth hence there is excess wire now. But I could be wrong. Teeth are looking great though, so it is so worth it!!!

Salt water is my friend, LOL!

Damon 3's upper and lower - 10 February 2006

~CanadianChick~

#2 Post by ~CanadianChick~ »

I agree, Same thing happened with mine. on my 1st adjustment this past week my ortho said there was a lot of positive movement!
~Braces Added Valentines Day 2006~

CLAmom

#3 Post by CLAmom »

I'm having the same "trouble" too after 2 months or so in braces. At first a lot of wax then not so much then not at all. In the last couple weeks I've have sore tongue, sore cheeks (I'm biting them on the right side), and a pokey wire (which I went in & had them clip) so I wax when & where I need it. I agree it is movement. It's the only thing that makes sense plus I really, really, really need to believe things are moving in there!! :roll:

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

Echo

#4 Post by Echo »

I've been having the same problem. In May, it will be a year since I was braced, and all of a sudden, I am getting sore spots on the inside of my bottom lip. I've never had the problem of the wires starting to poke out of the back molars though. Probably because my teeth weren't crooked to begin with. For about a week now though, I have had the sore bottom lip and have had to use wax.
[/url]

dena

#5 Post by dena »

me too...i think for me that as my teeth get straighter, they are pushing out farther (instead of being back and in all different spots) so there is one horribly painful spot where the braces and the archwire are constantly digging into the inside of my cheek. ugh!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

LizzyG

#6 Post by LizzyG »

Thanks for all the replies, it makes sense what you guys are all saying!

Movement = exciting :D

Damon 3's upper and lower - 10 February 2006

demedja

#7 Post by demedja »

Try using the eraser end of a pencil to gently press the pointy edges in a bit. My ortho told me I could do that without damaging the wires. I do this and also use the wax, and it works for me.