New Kid On the Block

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Silverwolftec2006

New Kid On the Block

#1 Post by Silverwolftec2006 »

Well here I am at 36 getting braces. I thought it was bad enough putting myself through college, but now this.. I really am a glutton for punishment..I am a week into my spacers and boy are these things a pain in the rump roast.. :evil:
I am going in on May 5th, to get my braces. :D I am getting jittery as the time draws closer to the event. I have needed braces ever since I was a young girl, so I figured it was now or never. I have been putting this off mainly do the money. Plus my vanity is getting the better of me, since I need to replace my front tooth.
So now I am making an effort to get myself back on the track in the self improvement little bit by little bit.. :thumbsup: Every one seems really nice here on the board and I am looking forward to serving my time behind the wires.. :lol: with all of you here. I will update as I get a chance.

Deb01

#2 Post by Deb01 »

Hey New Kid,

I'm 38 years old and getting braced in June. I'm on the road to self improvement too. I also have needed braces since I was a young girl. But, being #10 of 10 kids, my chances of getting braces were slim to none.

I've got 2 daughters, 12 & 17. Now is my turn for some over due overhauling! My 12 year old is next to be braced. My 17 year old has beautiful teeth. I have no idea where they came from...sure wasn't from me.

This board is wonderful, isn't it? I've learned a lot here.

Good luck with your experience!
Braced on 6/28/2006

Joanna20

#3 Post by Joanna20 »

Hi
Silverwolftec2006 and Deb01!
It's great that you have decided to take care of your smile. I too, never wanted braces before :roll: and now I'm waiting for my sentence to come :shock: .
I think I'm getting braced in June has well, since I'm having my second appointment in May.
Good luck to the both of you,
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

Silverwolftec2006

Thank You to everyone..

#4 Post by Silverwolftec2006 »

It is hard to be the new kid, I guess we all go through it eventually. I will be lot happier once these spacers come out... :-+ I never thought anything could be so rotten. I am generally a lot more fun, but I have been feeling pretty miserable the last week.

Despite all my whining, I am going all metal tops and bottoms. I have to have metal bands on all of my molars.. Holy Ouchie.. :cry: . Then the rest will be metal brackets. (silver of course) I am going to stick to clear or silver bands around them to make them less bling, bling as the younger generation calls it.

My parents are really supportive of my choice and so is my boyfriend. Although he thinks it better me in the braces than him.. He really hates going to doctors, never mind the dentist..LOL

Just a heads up for everyone. I am great one for a lot of typing mistakes.. so I will have to be more carefull about reviewing my messages before I post them.. Before I forget I have a huge German Shepherd named Wolfgang (108 lbs.). He is a momma's boy and the funny thing is, that even though he is so heavy, he is not fat. If I can remember I will try to get a snap shot of us up on the board once I get my braces in.

Ta-Ta for now..
Dare to Dream. Work hard to Succeed. Remember to smile!!
It makes people wonder what you are up to!

[/url]

blondie111

#5 Post by blondie111 »

Welcome silverwolf! It's OK to be in your 30's and in braces, there are many of us out there! I have also needed it since I was about 8, but money was a big issue in my family growing up.

So here I am, going through all this now, but man, am I glad I found this site! I don't think I would have been as willing to get these puppies on my teeth if I didn't have the support and learning tools from this site. It has been a blessing for me!

Sounds like you have your hands full too with a big dog! I know all about them.... I have 2 St. Bernards! Lucy is 125lbs (2 years old) and the puppy Oscar is 60lbs and only 4 months! He's gonna be a big boy! Love to see the picture of your Shepard!

I'm 32 and will be in braces for almost 2 years!

blondie111

#6 Post by blondie111 »

Welcome silverwolf! It's OK to be in your 30's and in braces, there are many of us out there! I have also needed it since I was about 8, but money was a big issue in my family growing up.

So here I am, going through all this now, but man, am I glad I found this site! I don't think I would have been as willing to get these puppies on my teeth if I didn't have the support and learning tools from this site. It has been a blessing for me!

Sounds like you have your hands full too with a big dog! I know all about them.... I have 2 St. Bernards! Lucy is 125lbs (2 years old) and the puppy Oscar is 60lbs and only 4 months! He's gonna be a big boy! Love to see the picture of your Shepard!

I'm 32 and will be in braces for almost 2 years!

Silverwolftec2006

I'm Back

#7 Post by Silverwolftec2006 »

It is the day before I get wired for sound.. :jokerlaugh: I have to go in for a recheck on my spacers to make sure they are settled in and will be okay until this Friday morning at 9 am. Did any one else have to have their spacers checked before they had their braces put on?

I used that Colgate Cherry flavored Phosflur last night for the first time and was that a shocker. It wasn't strong like my Listerine, nor did I care for the watered down taste. I am wondering if it is just me? :? I am thinking when I get done with this bottle I will try the bubble gum or grape flavor. Does anyone have any suggestion for me?

Thanks in advance..

[/url]

Deb01

#8 Post by Deb01 »

My Doc never said anything about spacers. I have to have 3 molars removed...I think I'd rather have spacers. :( Did your Doc recommend the yucky Colgate Phosflur? :yuck: Bubble Gum flavor doesn't sound too bad. I love Listerine! It makes my teeth and mouth feel so clean. :-* GOOD LUCK at your appointment. I'll be waiting for your post to tell us all how it went. :-#)
Braced on 6/28/2006

Silverwolftec2006

I have my braces....

#9 Post by Silverwolftec2006 »

Well I went to my Ortho this morning. My hygentist told me that I had kept my spacers very clean, accually some to cleanest she had seen in a while. Well that made me feel really happy :D. I have five bands and the rest are brackets. I went with all silver/gray which I was most confident with.

The biggest thing to get use to is the feeling of the brackets in my mouth. It seems to be more annoying on my top teeth than anywhere else.
The only real discomfort I had was when they put on my bands, I kept getting my tounge irritated by the cleats.

So far today I have managed to eat egg salad and half of a steak and cheese sub. I had to rip the sandwich to shreads, but at least I could eat.
:( Boy what a chore it is to keep these things clean, it took me a half and hour just to clean my braces. Is this common?

Then to top it all off I got my floss tangled in my brackets, what a joy that was to fix.. That was just pure evil! :twisted: I got it tangled up in my brackets and I had to cut the floss with scissors then I had to use my scalar brush to get the remaining floss out.

Not a fun job.. So that is what my first day has been like so far. I haven't had to much pain, just a little confusion trying to get used to cleaning my teeth. Oh yeah before I forget my Ortho put power chains between my upper left and right molars to get them to rotate into the correct position as well. That was a fun too. Well I am going to try to take a snooze.. :-Z

[/url]

Deb01

#10 Post by Deb01 »

Wow Silverwolf, egg salad and half a steak sub!!! You did great!!! I've always heard of people only eating yogurt, ice cream, soft mushy stuff like that. Well, congratulations :-88 It sounds like your visit wasn't bad at all. Last night I noticed my second tooth (eye tooth I thnk) from the middle has a little warn mark in it next to the gum line. It kind of hides a little bit behind the one next to it. It kind of bummed me out :cry: Maybe it can be fixed after braces or maybe it won't be too noticable. To think I've lived with these teeth for so long and just noticed it! Congratulations again and good luck with that flossing! :HugeGrin:
Braced on 6/28/2006

Pirate Wench

#11 Post by Pirate Wench »

I am not looking forward to learning how to clean my teeth properly with braces......It would be just my luck that I would get the floss stuck and tangled in a reseraunt bathroom. :lol:

Here's hoping that your cleaning rotine gets better as time goes on. :crazy:

Silverwolftec2006

Good Morning with an update...

#12 Post by Silverwolftec2006 »

Well I had to make a special trip to my Ortho yesterday. The lowwer right arch wire was digging into my cheek. It was a nasty sticker and with the lowwer left to two bands scraping my tounge to death it was not a pleasant experience eating food.

I have an incredible high pain threshold, but I can not tolerate having something constantly scraping my mouth when I am trying to eat. :cry: Well I went in and they got that problem fixed lickity split. I was chowing on a chicken salad sandwich that evening for lunch. I work the grave yard shift so morning is my night and night is my day.

I am up way past my bed time, but I just had to let you know what I have been up too. :D My teeth are giving me some grief with eating, but I don't let that stop me.. I have been drinking milk like a fish, and finding out that some of the foods I used to love just don't work with this braces. Especially eating sushi, because the fish and the rice just cling to these babies like magnets.. :( I am so bummed about that..

It drives me bananas to have anything stuck in my braces. It worst than waking up with the dirty gym sock feeling in your mouth. It feels like you inherited the entire locker room..LOL :dance: I also tell you that I definately do not like fact that bread has this nasty way about getting stuck in all the wrong places.. Oy what a royal pain in the tush.. I will learn to get used to it I am sure..

Now that I have whined, griped and moaned about my food choices, all in all it isn't that bad. My coworkers are given me gup, but I just give it back. Don't get me wrong. They are like family to me, and they are just try to yank my chain and get me to laugh. By the way.. Did or does anyone have the feeling of cotton mouth/dry mouth with their braces? I know that I am going though this phase at the moment and I would love some tips from the group please...

I hate to cut this short, but I need to get to bed. I am exhausted. I am been up since 2 pm. yesterday afternoon. Take care.. :-Z

[/url]