Best Choice?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Brooke

Best Choice?

#1 Post by Brooke »

I am getting married in June and getting unbraced May 2nd. I wondering what the best choice for home whitening would be? Crest whitestrips? Rembrandt whitening strips? Do these things work well? Are they safe?
*Usually the longer roads lead to more rewarding endings*

Braced~ 10/11/04
Braces come off May 2, 2006!!!!! :)
Hawley Retainer full time!

mikey

#2 Post by mikey »

In my experience, crest whitestrips work *very* well. I have friends who have also had very good success with them. I have no experience with rembrandt, but also no reason to try anything other crest at this point.

rsprouse

Re: Best Choice?

#3 Post by rsprouse »

Brooke wrote:I am getting married in June and getting unbraced May 2nd. I wondering what the best choice for home whitening would be? Crest whitestrips? Rembrandt whitening strips? Do these things work well? Are they safe?
Brooke,

You may or may not get results from the whitening strips. They are safe because of their low dose of peroxide. Don't expect dramatic results from them, but some people see a shade improvement (or more). White strips are your best bet for home whitening. The reason why home whitening has such mixed results is because the material is quickly diluted by your saliva and becomes nearly ineffective within a couple minutes.

The best bet is really to have custom whitening trays made by your dentist that you wear at night. The beauty is that you wear them until you achieve your desired result and then back off to once per month as a form of maintenance. Good fitting trays will delay diluting the whitening material and give the material a longer time to be in contact with your teeth. If you need a quick jolt (wedding is quickly approaching) then in office whitening is a good option as well. But white strips are cheap ($20-30) and the other options are probably in the $500+ range. Crest and Rembrandt are nearly identicle, try whichever you want and if you are not satisfied then you may want to consider a professional solution. Good luck and congrats on losing the braces and the upcoming wedding.

Best,
Rory