Speech problems anyone?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bambulka

Speech problems anyone?

#1 Post by bambulka »

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help me.

My top teeth started moving forward about 4 years ago (before they were perfectly aligned) and now I have 9mm overbite on my teeth (so my ortho tells me). I would like to have the overbite sorted but another problem I have been experiencing for the past 8 months is a speech problem. I sometimes find it difficult to pronunce certain words. It's as though talking is no longer effortless. Strange thing is that noone has noticed it but I feel as though I am not pronuncing some words properly. Has anyone had a similar experience? Could this be because of the overbite? I went to see orthodontist and he said this could be because my tongue is no longer in the correct position - could this be right? I am only asking as he did not seem to be that sure himself. The main reason why I want to get my teeth sorted now is because of the speech problem as the overbite is not that bad and is not really bothering me but I am not sure if the overbite is causing the speech problem. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

mgigi

#2 Post by mgigi »

I'm not sure if this helps you any, but I have an open bite and a cross bite, and I do have a bit of a lisp and a slight problem with some words. My ortho told me that this was definitely due to my bite problems. I'm hoping all is going to be corrected once my braces come off, and I have surgery. Good luck.

missingu

#3 Post by missingu »

Especially if your concerns are not ortho per se, it might be advisable to have a consult with a speech pathologist. They are very well trained in issues of the mouth that affect speech, though not ortho, but it sounds like a consult would be in order anyway.

If you are in the US, the web site (which has a referral database) for the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association is:

www.asha.org

Sorry, I'm not familiar with who provides these services outside the US.

Good luck.

starryadora

#4 Post by starryadora »

i have an open bite and have problems with pronouncing 's'. I slide my jaw forward and to the left everytime i have to say that letter! lol

*~Currently retained in:
-Upper and Lower bonded retainers
-Upper QCM Hawley
-Damon Splint (night)
-Postitioner (as needed)

~*Orthodontic Assistant*~

missingu

#5 Post by missingu »

Unless I'm wrong, bambulka indicated this problem has only arisen in the past year or so. It'd be one thing if s/he had always experienced this, but rapid onset of a problem like that seems to me to deserve specialized attention.