Is this normal??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

new boy james

Is this normal??

#1 Post by new boy james »

Hello everyone!!!
I'm 29 and just got braced on 2nd May and I was wondering if anyone here could please help with a query...
Ive got ceramic brackets on top and bottom but I can't bite together properly because my top front teeth clash on the brackets of my bottom front teeth. Is this normal?? I'm finding it hard to eat as i can't chew properly and my teeth are becoming sore where they keep bashing each other!! I told my ortho at my fitting appt but he said it wouldn't matter as the teeth will align soon enough.
I'd really appreciate any replies. :D

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

It is normal but certainly not desired if it goes on for very long. This was happening to me for awhile and it was pretty painful. It went away in about 3 weeks I think. It made eating very difficult and sometimes even talking. Your ortho is probably confident that your bite will start opening up right away. Like I said, mine did.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

susieq182

#3 Post by susieq182 »

Like jcdamon3 said its normal but not desired, but there are lots of options you can ask your ortho about to help stop this from happening. there is occlusal bonding where they build up a thing on your molars, bite turbos which they bond to the back of your front teeth, a bumper thing fixed to the lower brackets, removable bite plate which is alot like a retainer, or fixed bite plate which I assure you i vote against. I am sure they all have pros and cons you can do a search to see what people have said about each. I still havent come across another person with a fixed bite plate. at anyrate if you are uncomfortable call your ortho and let them know what is going on.
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

dbagnell

#4 Post by dbagnell »

As soon as my ortho put my braces on I told her that I was biting one of my bottom brackets so she put something on my molar to build it up and it made it much better. Definitely mention it to your ortho.

Braced on 6/23/05 for 12-16 months with top and bottom Damon 3s for moderate crowding, slight class II bite and TMJ.

Idislikebraces

#5 Post by Idislikebraces »

Hmm..thats the very reason my ortho put ceramics on top nd metal on bottom...bc with my overjet i was gonna bite down nd break the ceramics...soooo....i'm wondering why u went with ceramics on bottom...
August 10, 2005
Ceramic Uppers and Metal Bottoms!
A few months later a Nance Appliance.
anddd nowwww:
De bonding on October 23, 2007!

new boy james

#6 Post by new boy james »

Thanks for your replies, guys.
In answer to your question I just went with ceramics on the bottom just for appearance, my ortho didn't menton it could cause clashing. I'm gonna soldier on for the time being and if it continues to bother me i'll definitely go to him for a solution.
Strange thing though, every day it seems like it's different teeth meeting different brackets in different places, as if my teeth are already moving tiny amounts after only 2 days!!! But when I closely examine my teeth in the mirror (like i've done once or twice before lol) i can't see any difference. Freaky!!
Great website, lots of useful information on here.

susieq182

#7 Post by susieq182 »

a watched pot never boils. try not looking at your teeth for 2 or 3 days well I mean not closely checking them obviously you have to look to clean them. you will see that they have moved. Its like that whole wow you've gotten so big thing with the out of town family. or loosing weight the people who see you all the time hardly notice the change but people who havnt seen you notice it right off.
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

blondie111

#8 Post by blondie111 »

Oh, yeah, that's normal. When I bite down, my right side back teeth are the only ones that touch, so I have to eat on one side of my mouth, which makes it sore. And since there is more "movement" on that side, the brackets rub more and cause me more sores in the inside of my mouth. Hopefully as things start shifting, I will be able to eat on the other side as well! So hang in there!!!!!!! I has to get better!

I'm 32 and will be in braces for almost 2 years!

Sarah22

#9 Post by Sarah22 »

Hey there, I got my braces on 2nd May also, can't believe just looking on here how many people have been braced in the last week! Anyway, my top teeth are banging into my lower brackets and it's very annoying alright. Told my ortho and he said it would be corrected when my lower teeth start moving.

I can't bite at the moment, on a liquid diet, obviously because of the brackets banging and also due to my spacers which are putting so much uncomfortable pressure on my teeth.

Looking forward to being able to eat properly!!