Nightmare so far

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AVFC_UK

Nightmare so far

#1 Post by AVFC_UK »

Due to have braces fitted on May 15th - have quite severe overbite.

Had first two extractions last week. BOTH holes developed a dry socket infection which was the worse pain I have ever had and resulted in a trip to the emergency dentist (bank holiday weekend) and having to have anti-septic dressing placed in the sockets - this was also very painfull but worked. However, a week late I'm still on pain killers! :(

Today, I went for the 2nd lot of extractions, top one was fine. The bottom one was a nightmare, the dentist took a good 15 minutes trying and failing to remove it, the tooth eventually snapped, leaving half of it still in tact! She said she would have to fax my ortho and see what to do with it, she says the root as a strange growth direction :?

At 26 and very self-councious, the decision to have braces wasn't an easy one, I'm begining to regret my decision already.

I guess this is going to put back my treatment time and I won't be able to have my braces on the 15th of may now :x .

This ever happend to anyone else?

Pirate Wench

#2 Post by Pirate Wench »

:-(( I am sorry you are having such a hard time. I know it is hard to make the decision to get braces in the first place. Try not to regret your decision now. Hopefully your experience will get better soon. Try to think of the end result. Your overbite will be fixed and your smile will be wonderful.

Here's to getting the situation under control..... :-88

Skinny

#3 Post by Skinny »

You Poor thing Im so Sorry to hear about all this. I dont have to have extractions so I havent been though all this but wanted to send you a Hug and say hang in there it will get better soon.
Im 30 Female
TMD, Crowding, Overbite
Clear on top Medal on bottom
Beauitful smile wishes to Everyone!
Skinny

SamanthaClavier

#4 Post by SamanthaClavier »

I feel your pain(well my huband does!) he had EIGHT last week and he is still in pain,(we went yesterday after he got spacers (7)and got the checkup (they also filled in his DEEEEP holes with some numbing (looks like a peice of floss strapped to some gaws LOL) and put it into those holes .HE feels MUCH better ,sleeping.

I wish you luck(i hope you are still able to get braces) maybe they can work around it?I also am having doughts about braces mainly because i am going INSANE and the cost!Its something WE both want but i think he wants it ALOT more than me.If they had told me even two teeth be pulled i would have backed out.luckly i only need one cut out.

KJM

#5 Post by KJM »

Awww AVFC_UK sorry you have to go through this!! :(
I developed dry socket when I had my wisdom teeth out a few years ago and I can totally relate to the intense pain you were feeling!! At that time, I had thought having them out would stop the movement of my other teeth ( they were pushing forward) but it did not. ( I went with this option trying to avoid having braces)

So here I am years later, having braces and wishing that I had done it back then ( I would be totally brace free now with some beautiful chompers!) :)

So, good for you for taking the step! Dont back out now, your through the worst of it ( seriously braces are a breeze compared to dry socket!!)
Hang in there and you can come here and vent to us anytime!!
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

nita

#6 Post by nita »

I'm so sorry to hear about your experiences so far. That must be terrible.

Hopefully the worst is behind you and once you finally get braced and start to notice improvements you will feel better about your treatment.

Just remember that's why this board is here - for support through this process. Good luck to you, I hope things get better soon!
Top brackets and spacers on 2/17/06
Molar bands on 3/6/06
Extractions and full braces 3/27/06
Update: 22-24 months total time in braces!

JumpTheDitch

#7 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Wow AVFC_UK, that sounds awful! Sorry to hear your orthodontic journey has had a bumpy start, I hear those dry sockets are not much fun. I was very lucky with my two extractions which healed up quickly so I can't say I know how it feels, but I can empathise that it's not much fun :soremouth:.

Hang in there though, like the others have said, it gets better from here! Sounds like you've just gone through the worst bit first (unfortunately!) but don't let it all be for nothing. Imagine how annoyed with yourself you'll be in a year or two if you opt out now.

You would

1) be short a few teeth,
2) still suffering your alignment/bite problems, and
3) have gone through all the pain and expense so far for nothing! :-+

Plus I don't think leaving the extraction gaps without any orthodontic work is a good idea. Over time the remaining teeth may shift anyway, but without the guidance of a qualified ortho. I hear that can lead down an undesirable pathway!

Chin up AVFC_UK, it gets better from here! :thumbsup:

kel

#8 Post by kel »

Hi AVFC_UK,

I had nearly the exact same problems as you with my extractions. I developed 3 dry sockets and infections (I was antibiotics for ages and had the dressings!). Also on the top fourth tooth I was having removed the root snapped and has remained in. I know it is the worst pain that I can think of, even my dentist felt sorry for me with the dry socket. With mine I was refered to the dental hospital who decided that the root could remain in, my ortho agreed as it shouldn't cause a problem.

After that ramble what I really wanted to say was that I have had my brace for a while now and have actually had very little discomfort..like someone here said to me, after so many dry sockets you can cope with anything!!! The dry sockets and retained roots etc did really get me down and I was really worried but it has all so far (touch wood) been ok so far on the braces front and I hope you will find the same, we had enough suffering with extractions!!!

I hope all goes well and that you feel better, I was living on painkillers for a bit but it does go away. If you wanna know anything else feel free to ask,

Hope this helped,

Kel

WhyMe?

#9 Post by WhyMe? »

I hope you are feeling better soon. I just had four extractions yesterday. Not as bad as I expected, but two years ago I had four wisdom teeth pulled and developed dry socket. It was horrendous and I was on Vicodin and out of it for two weeks. Not to mention all the trips to the dentist...ick! As someone said earlier, I should have gotten braces back then so I could be done with the whole thing by now. Yesterday, my dentist kept telling me how healthy the teeth were that she was pulling out. I was not too happy with that as I spent a ton of time over the years flossing those teeth just to have them pulled out.

So right now I have wires hanging out all over the place and still a little blood, but hopefully I will forget this in a few months. Those gaps sure are hard to get used to LOL

Shawna