The pain Of it..?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Skinny

The pain Of it..?

#1 Post by Skinny »

Hi there I will be geting my Braces on Thursday the 11th. Im a Weenie!!! :roll:
Could you tell me what kind of pain to expect? Also what should I go to the store and stock up on before I get them?
Im getting Damon Brackets Not sure what all the diffrences are with Braces? Im very new to it all. I have TMJ/TMD Really bad and an Overbite, I so tired of the head acks and pain in the Jaw that Im hoping this will fix the problem.
Any tips at all are welcome! Thanks...
Im 30 Female
TMD, Crowding, Overbite
Clear on top Medal on bottom
Beauitful smile wishes to Everyone!
Skinny

Pirate Wench

#2 Post by Pirate Wench »

you sound like me....I have TMJ and an overbite as well as some crowding on the bottom. I will be getting my upper braces on June 15th. From what I have read here, everyone is different when it comes to pain. Everyone says taking advil before going for the brace placement appointment is a good idea. Someone has also mentioned something called, "Good Vibrations" and someone else has talked about a "bite wafer".

I will be watching this thread for everyone elses responses. Good Luck. :frogbraces:

Skinny

#3 Post by Skinny »

Hi Thanks I have crowding on the bottom too I really cant wait to get that fixed.
Im 30 Female
TMD, Crowding, Overbite
Skinny

Skinny

#4 Post by Skinny »

for some reson my ticker isnt working? Hmmmmmm?
I will look that stuff up and see what I can find.
For the most part I wonder if Over the counter pain med is helpful? Like motrin or somthing. If the pain can be helped by that I will be fine.
Im 30 Female
TMD, Crowding, Overbite
Skinny

WhyMe?

#5 Post by WhyMe? »

I took Advil before getting my braces on two weeks (almost) ago. It didn't hurt at all, and I thought that I was cool. Then I realized that with the spacers I could not eat ANY type of food that has to touch my teeth. So I can't even chew beans until Monday, I hope LOL! Stock up on wax and use it from the beginning. That was another mistake that I made, I went without wax for the first couple of days to "toughen" my mouth. Big mistake, I had sores and my mouth was very swollen. I was in major pain for a while there. Once I started with the wax, I could speak better and I actually went without wax yesterday. Woohoo! Also, stock up on soups, yogurt, applesauce (I like the mango/peach kind), pudding, and potatoes (for baked potatoes) so you don't have to worry about crunching down on anything for a while. You won't want to go to the store searching for these things after the fact. Of course you will need salt for warm salt water rinses. That's about all I can think of, but since you do not have braces yet, eat a huge sub sandwich and some pizza for me...I am starving!!!!!!!!!

Shawna

Flora2006

#6 Post by Flora2006 »

Pain varies for everyone.

When I got my upper ceramic brackets put on, I never felt any pain...pressure the first few days...but it was no big deal.

I got my lower metal brackets put on 5 days ago and I've been in constant pain for 5 days now...

So pain really works differently for everyone. If you want to make sure you really don't feel anything, than take an advil or another pain killer just to be sure.

Good luck :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Skinny

#7 Post by Skinny »

Wow you all are alsome! Thanks so much for all your advice. Im going to write all this down and go to the store. Thanks so Much!
Im 30 Female
TMD, Crowding, Overbite
Skinny

Chris

#8 Post by Chris »

I was worried that my TMJ would become worse during treatment. It didn't, well, all except during one brief episode of an elastic configuration (the dreaded figure 8 on the side). THAT put my jaw into spasm. I told the ortho and off they came. Better now. My current elastic configuration is not hurting my jaw.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007