popcorn success

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

akabraces

popcorn success

#1 Post by akabraces »

sooo.......

I used to eat popcorn every day religiously before braces but then stopped since I heard it's not a good idea, etc.

BUT

I just had a severe drop in my blood sugar and needed some food so I decided to ransack the pantry for popcorn AND I just ate alot of popcorn with no problem. Granted I did it in the privacy of my own home, but I brushed right after and had no problem at all.....phew....

Now I'm excited that I can eat popcorn again, I was so sad to give it up!

*aka

smilezofmetal2

#2 Post by smilezofmetal2 »

I have been eating popcorn since I got my braces...and haven't had any problems with popcorn...even though my ortho told me not to eat it :twisted:...I know its bad but I eat most if not all of the things on the do not eat list :wink:
Last edited by smilezofmetal2 on Sun May 07, 2006 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skinny

#3 Post by Skinny »

I wonder why they say not to eat it?
I LOVE Popcorn....I eat it most everyday too! I will be getting my braces thursday. And man Im not wanting to give up popcorn. This is such good news for me! YIPPPY!!!!!! :D
Im 30 Female
TMD, Crowding, Overbite
Clear on top Medal on bottom
Beauitful smile wishes to Everyone!
Skinny

Wyo_Stacy

#4 Post by Wyo_Stacy »

The reason you are not supposed to eat it is because the kernels can get stuck between teeth. Often you will not even notice that it is there. Also it is easier for kernels to get up under your gums. The chance of getting an infection is much higher. It can end up causing a lot of problems.
I too used to eat it thinking if I was careful I would be okay. I got an infection and ended up having a 2 hour surgical procedure to clean out an area that had bone loss. (And it was not because I wasn't spending time cleaning every day.) It was all pretty scary because I wasn't sure if I would end up losing the teeth anyways. Thankfully everything turned out okay.

Missingorigin

#5 Post by Missingorigin »

OMG, wow, thanks for the warning, i have not aten popcorn but i have been tempted. :shock:

drazda

#6 Post by drazda »

I've had popcorn many times without any problems. I don't even brush right away afterwards. I don't have any molar bands if that makes a difference.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

trequ

#7 Post by trequ »

my ortho told me its fine to eat popcorn, just not the unpopped kernals. she said she doesnt see why other orthos tell their patients not to eat popcorn, because its pretty much the same as eating popcorn without braces, the only problem is it has more places to get stuck. but if your ortho says not to eat it, then i wouldnt.

nimo

#8 Post by nimo »

I've gotten to the point where I'll be about to put something in my mouth, or it'll be in, and I'll think, "Oh, man...I can't chew this!" Sometimes I can chew very carefully with hard things, or sharp things like potato chips. But stuff with caramel...I won't even venture into that territory.

I've had a couple kernels of popcorn, but I'm always careful about chewing it. Usually I roll it around and let it get soggy before I chew, which is kind of gross. Hence the reason I don't eat a lot of popcorn. :lol: But my ortho didn't say absolutely not on any foods. Just said to be really careful with hard stuff or sticky stuff.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

Way Too Old For This

#9 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I have eaten popcorn lots and lots of times since getting braces. It does get stuck everywhere, but my trusty Waterpik gets it out of pretty tight places.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.