New to the club - Braced 05/02/06!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Crensmeyer1

New to the club - Braced 05/02/06!

#1 Post by Crensmeyer1 »

Greetings All,

First let me start by saying I have been lurking around here for the last few weeks, and the information and support provided is incredible. I can honestly say that when my bracing day arrived on May 2nd, I felt as ready and prepared as I possibly could. I was still a bit nervous, but that was to be expected.

So here is my story so far, and of course I have a few questions.

I am 35 years old and have always had gaps between my front teeth. Like many others, it was not financially possible for me to have braces as a teen. I inquired about veneers with my dentist in March at my last cleaning, and he advised me that with teeth and gums as healthy as mine I should really consider braces rather than grinding my teeth down and adding foreign material to them. I took his recommendation and had two different consults with two different ortho's. Both had similar conclusions so it was a matter of preference from there. I went in last Tuesday and was fitted with 3M Clarity ceramic upper and lower brackets. I also received some spacers in the back for upper molar bands to go on at my next visit (5 weeks). I have had the typical discomfort and eating difficulties as I expected to have from reading the forums here. Although the first night I had them I was stuck at my office and broke them in on pizza, which was entertaining to say the least. I also popped a bracket on Thursday night while eating dinner. I think my top tooth hit it while chewing (2nd to last back bracket). My ortho's office said it was up to me if I wanted to come in and get it fixed right away or wait until my next visit. I was going to wait, but have noticed it gets lodged between my back teeth and tends to irritate my gums. So, I hope to get in sometime this week to get it fixed.

My biggest concern is that I do not have any ligs??? Is this normal in the beginning or is it because of the type of braces I have? I will be asking the doc next time I see him, but thought others here might shed some light on the issue.

The only other issue I have had is the dryness between my brackets and my cheeks. Sometimes it makes talking a little challenging. I hope that this feeling goes away soon. I also have had problems biting down since the braces went on. It seems my bite changes almost daily. This of course causes me to bite my lip on a daily basis. Other than these minor issues all has been as expected.

Again, I attribute my expectations to this forum, and look forward to sharing my experiences throughout my treatment. My doc estimates I will be captive for 18-24 months.
Crensmeyer
Braced 05/02/06
Ceramic uppers & lowers

jennandtonic

#2 Post by jennandtonic »

Welcome to the braces club, Crensmeyer1!

I'm relatively new to the "club" as well, so I'm not sure about the ligs question, I didn't look at any other kind of braces before I got the type I have. I'm sure there are types of braces out there without ligs. Or maybe they didn't ask about the lig color for your first time.

I didn't experience the dryness between the brackets and cheeks at first...if anything, I noticed I drooled more! However, once in awhile now I notice that my mouth is dry and the braces irritate my cheeks. I just try to drink some water, that works for me but of course, everyone's different.

Bite changes are just a part of braces! Some days you will have no problems biting down, and other days eating will be quite hard. It's all a part of the experience is what I've noticed so far.

Crensmeyer1

#3 Post by Crensmeyer1 »

Hi KK!

Thanks for the advice on hydration, and yes I have discoverd Carmex to be my new best friend :D .

As far as I can tell the only thing holding my archwires in place are the metal inserts in the brackets themselves. I dont know if I have wire ties or not? I have read of these in the forum, but don't know what to look for to see if I have them...

Oh well, I well inquire at my next visit and let you know.

Thanks again!
Crensmeyer
Braced 05/02/06
Ceramic uppers & lowers