My teeth are yellowish now that i have braces :(

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Will

My teeth are yellowish now that i have braces :(

#1 Post by Will »

it sucks b/c my teeth are yellowish after 6 months of braces....

is there any way to make them whiter while being braced? I mean i do brush 2 times a day...

also, is bleaching a safe method after i get my braces off? Is it safe for teenagers?
Braces On: 11/1/05
Braces Off: ???

jennandtonic

#2 Post by jennandtonic »

I'd ask your orthodontist what he/she recommends before trying any kind of bleach, I hear that some kinds can damage the teeth.

When I got braces they gave me this nightly fluoride stuff to brush on my teeth that is supposed to retain the color.

LoobyLou

#3 Post by LoobyLou »

I also have the yellowish problem going on which is really annoying. I recommend a stain removing toothpaste or powder such as Eucryl which is really cheap in the UK and really helps to brighten my teeth up. Probably best to be careful what you use while the braces are on - you can get them properly cleaned p when they come off anyway...

LoobyLou x
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

Jesslzz

#4 Post by Jesslzz »

Great advice KK! I didn't quite know if those toothpastes had some effect on teeth or not. Now that I know they work for you, I'll continue to use mine (I used the same brand too!). Thanks and congratulations for your whiter teeth and ligs :lol:

Full metalmouth!

fins

#5 Post by fins »

The office I go to tells patients NOT to use whitening toothpaste while braced since it can cause stains to appear after the braces are removed. I really miss whitening my teeth too.

jcdamon3

#6 Post by jcdamon3 »

I was starting to get staining under my wires because the toothbrush couldn't reach. I got a sonicare tootbrush and that issue seems to have gone away for me.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

OnMyWay

#7 Post by OnMyWay »

Like jennandtonic, my ortho prescribed a fluoride toothpaste that seems to work wondeful for tooth color.

Saycheesenikki

#8 Post by Saycheesenikki »

Yeah mine got yellow & dingy looking so I started using listerine whitening pre brush rinse. It helps brighten my teeth & I feel better of course when they look white, clean & all. I use it everytime before I brush. Try it:)
3/28/06 8 Spacers
4/6/06 Fully Braced(Ceramics)
7/11/06 3rd Adjustment

Don't Frown. You never know who's falling in love with your smile.

pvarier

#9 Post by pvarier »

I feel that the brackets themselves make the teeth appear a little dingy looking. I have found that brushing often helps a bit.

pvarier

#10 Post by pvarier »

I feel that the brackets themselves make the teeth appear a little dingy looking. I have found that brushing often helps a bit.

Dark_angel

#11 Post by Dark_angel »

A visit to the hygenist should get rid of any stains etc that have accumulated dureing yoru time in braces. They will be able to advise you how to prevent future staining etc.

zbbelgium

#12 Post by zbbelgium »

I have started using an electric toothbrush with the special head that won't damage braces and have found it has really helped improve the colour of my teeth - took a week of brushing twice a day with it and once with a regular brush to see the difference

payoki

no whitening products..

#13 Post by payoki »

I was also told not to use ANY whitening products while in braces because after it's removed you can end up with marks where the braces were attatched so I was told to wait til the brace is removed before using any kind of whitening products, including whitening mouth wash.
mother of one.

JayC

#14 Post by JayC »

i fyou brush thoroughly, it shouldnt be a problem. my teeth are actually whiter than they wre before.

Saycheesenikki

#15 Post by Saycheesenikki »

I agree with KK.

PAYOKI- These whitening products will not make such a dramatic change in the actual tooth color. Especially the whitening mouthwash I suggested. Being that you only rinse for 30 seconds I highly doubt it will actually whiten the bare tooth. I suggested the mouthwash to those who had that dingy look & wanted to BRIGHTEN the teeth. Its just called Listerine whitening mouth rinse but it does not in anyway whiten teeth. Like I stated in my last post it does help brighten my ceramics that is until I drink or eat something.
:wink:
3/28/06 8 Spacers
4/6/06 Fully Braced(Ceramics)
7/11/06 3rd Adjustment

Don't Frown. You never know who's falling in love with your smile.