Springs??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Henna_the_braceface

Springs??

#1 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

Has anyone ever got springs? I had 4 hooks put in yesterday at my tightening appointment for the springs I will get. Can someone tell me what they are exactly and what they are used for?

OnMyWay

#2 Post by OnMyWay »

The springs are used to push two of your teeth apart. I had a spring for a couple months. I could feel the pressure from it and it irritated my lip some but in all it wasn't bad at all. It was exciting to see the teeth move apart.

OnMyWay

#3 Post by OnMyWay »

The springs are used to push two of your teeth apart. I had a spring for a couple months. I could feel the pressure from it and it irritated my lip some but in all it wasn't bad at all. It was exciting to see the teeth move apart.

Henna_the_braceface

#4 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

thanks a lot 4 the info!

Henna_the_braceface

#5 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

apart? my orthodontist is using them to close my extraction gaps.. :?:

Aine

#6 Post by Aine »

My springs were used to close gaps after my teeth were extracted. It was unbelievable how fast the gap closed....they are a little uncomfortable at first but they are worth it!

Missingorigin

#7 Post by Missingorigin »

how do we ask the ortho to get me some springs,? i want some so i can close the 4 gaps I have ASAP. :shock:

missing_tooth

#8 Post by missing_tooth »

how do we ask the ortho to get me some springs,? i want some so i can close the 4 gaps I have ASAP.
You don't. The ortho is a professional, and I'm sure he/she will do it in time. There comes a point where you need to trust your ortho. Just like other professions, he/she is an expert.

- Missing Tooth -
Last edited by missing_tooth on Thu May 11, 2006 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

TuZZi

#9 Post by TuZZi »

I had 4 springs installed to close my 4 extraction gaps, and I had them for 6 months. The gaps are almost completely closed now, so my ortho switched to wire ties instead at my last adjustment.

The springs are a pain in the butt sometimes.... depending on what part of your moth they are on, they might grate against your lips when you laugh, or smile, or talk. They also might dig into your cheeks when you sleep if you sleep on your side. But, they aren't permanant, and you'll be amazed at how they work.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

Henna_the_braceface

#10 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

Thanks guys! i got 4 metal hooks for the springs 2 days ago and it has totally ripped my mouth apart. It has given me about 3 ulcers too.... :cry:

sjsarre

#11 Post by sjsarre »

I was told by my ortho today that on the 9th June (my 2nd adjustment) he will put springs to close up the extraction gaps...

When do you get yours on??

Henna_the_braceface

#12 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

on my 5th adjustment on july 4th.. ages away yet... but i have to wait 8 weeks! i've never had to wait that long for an adjustment! im getting them to close my extraction gaps.

sjsarre

#13 Post by sjsarre »

Ok, so I guess if mine goes according to plan i'll get my springs on before and can post back to let you know what its like...

I really want my extraction sites closed!!! The ortho did tell me that he would close them pretty early on in my treatment, which I am please with.

Henna_the_braceface

#14 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

thanks! i always have students working on me because I go to a dental hospital but my orthodontist works on me too.

JenB

springs

#15 Post by JenB »

Does anyone know of any reason why and ortho would not want to use springs to close extraction gaps?