Upper and lower teeth rubbing together

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kazan

Upper and lower teeth rubbing together

#1 Post by Kazan »

Hi All

In the last week I have found myself unable to properly close my back teeth because a lower front tooth seems ot have shifted forwards and now is catching/scraping against the inside of an upper front tooth - if you can visualised that.

During the day I can cope with it but at night I must be clenchng my teeth because I have woken up in agony from the two offending teeth scraping together and so have taken to wearing a moutguard at night - lovely!

My question is whether or not anyone else has experienced this, what they did about it or did they just grin and bear it (no pun intended) till the teeth had shifted further and corrected themselves.

I have booked an additional appointment with the ortho for Friday but he's not particularly communicative - seems to be a common problem - so would appreciate any comments/experiences to go with what he might say and perhaps give me some questions for him.

Cheers

CLAmom

#2 Post by CLAmom »

I believe this is fairly common as teeth shift around. My right side canines have actually been hitting edge to edge for the last 6 weeks (I have a major crossbite). Finally, at today's adjustment my ortho has placed a power chain on the lowers to close gaps there and says my bite will be all better by my next adjustment (5 weeks from now). God, I hope he's right. I clench my jaw from time to time at night and it is very painful when those teeth gnash into each other. During the day it makes it almost impossible to chew properly. I hope your ortho will be as responsive on this issue as mine has been.

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

I clench my jaw from time to time at night and it is very painful when those teeth gnash into each other. .
Same problem with me!
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007