Questions about the entire braces process...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

WhyMe?

Questions about the entire braces process...

#1 Post by WhyMe? »

Okay, so far I have had brackets put on w/ a partial wire on the top and bottom. It is not connected to the bands (I only have 3 bands since they had to put in another spacer on one tooth). Do they ever NOT put on ligs? I don't think I have them, or if I do, I don't know what I am looking for (I thought that they were bands around the brackets).

Without the wire attaching to the bands, is there going to be any movement? My actual braces do not hurt and I don't feel any tightness or anything, so it seems like I am just wearing these things for show :lol:

Is this normal? I asked the assistant (I rarely see the ortho) and he just gave me a vague answer and was not very interested in a discussion as the office was an hour behind on my last visit.

Thanks for helping!!

Dark_angel

#2 Post by Dark_angel »

Some braces such as damons dont require ligs to be put on, also some ligs are clear so you may not notice they are there.

Heres a pic of my pink ligs

Your ortho should always make time to answer your questions. And you dont need to feel pain to see movement.

WhyMe?

#3 Post by WhyMe? »

Thanks Kiwi. I had never heard of self-lig brackets. That must be what I have because there are definitely no ligs on them (kind of small even though they feel big), but they are clear. I never asked because when I began the process, I only thought there were two types of braces...clear or metal. Had no idea about anything else. My ortho has not really explained any processes and I haven't asked. Only because I simplified the whole idea of braces and didn't really know what to ask. Now I am thankful for this website because I am learning something new everyday! YAY!

Annette

Ligs or no ligs...?

#4 Post by Annette »

Well, I have Damon's on and ive had them for about 10-11 months now.
These are the self-ligating types ones and they don't feel like their doing anything, but they are...believe me. There has been a significant amount of movement.
I had four teeth out also and two of the gaps have almost closed already.
The Damon system is designed in a way that you dont feel disconmfort and you dont really feel as if you're wearing them, but you wear them for less time than the conventional braces...Brilliant!
BRACED ON 26/07/05 WITH DAMON 3's FOR 18 MONTHS

WhyMe?

#5 Post by WhyMe? »

Thanks for your help guys. My ortho just visits my regular dentist office every two weeks, so I'll just wait until my next appt. I actually have noticed some movement (I feel like a new mom or something LOL). Now my teeth look worse, but straighter. So I know in time it will all even out. I have been able to eat soft solid food, like a cheeseburger w/ a fork and knife (since the spacers were removed). Plus, I actually flossed today for the first time post-braces...without a threader or anything WOOHOO!

My first great day in bracesland!! There is hope :)