New rubber bands

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

t3knophile

New rubber bands

#1 Post by t3knophile »

Hello,

Today my ortho said I need to start wearing rubber bands. It's only on one side though. I am a bit anxious about having to wear them to work though. Wearing braces as an adult to work is bad enough let alone wearing rubber bands.

He said I should leave them in, even when eating? Seems like the bands would get in the way to me, but I haven't tried it yet.

Has anyone else been through this?

-t3k

CreedAngel81

#2 Post by CreedAngel81 »

I have only been braced for a little over a week and have already started elastics this past Sunday. I had the same thought about them prior to using the elastics but truthfully they really aren't all that bad, even when I eat. I pretty much end up forgeting all about them until I realize its time to change their position (I have to switch them to different upper teeth every eight hours!). I haven't even had any pain or discomfort with them, plus it actually feels weird to have them off.
Inspire Ice Sapphire braces top
Metal bottom
Treatment Estimate: 1 yr
Results=Beautiful Smile for Wedding!

t3knophile

#3 Post by t3knophile »

Interesting you started wearing elastics so quickly. I have been braced for about 6 months now and just had to start wearing them as of today. I don't fully understand why I only wear it on one side but the doc knows best. Seems like that would be a pain to have to switch tem to different teeth every eight hours though.) I keep wanting to touch the bands with my tongue :(. Guess that's just he feelign of something new in my mouth.

stargirl

#4 Post by stargirl »

Hey, I've had elastics now for 2 months and it hasn't been at all bad.
At first I took mine out to eat - but that just became a hassle. Really, after about a week you won't even notice that they're there, and eating will be a breeze! :D

CreedAngel81, you said that it feels weird having your elastics off... I agree! A couple of times after brushing my teeth I've forgotten to put some back on, and a few minutes later I'd notice something feeling strange. I actually prefer having my elastics in than out... somehow it feels better. Maybe I'm just weird! :?

KJM

#5 Post by KJM »

I also got elastics at my last appointment. I have them from the top inside to the bottom outside ( to correct a crossbite) and I find myself eating stuff all the time now with them in. I dont even notice them anymore to be honest.

I totally dreaded the "e" word, so when I my ortho mentioned them I was like OH NO! LOL But seriously no one else ever notices them,and they are not an issue for me either. Like stargirl said, It actually feels better with them in.. and yes thats strange. LOL :lol:
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

cookie

#6 Post by cookie »

Another one here who's had no problems at all with wearing elastics.

I wear 2 all of the time - I just change them after eating.

No one has said anything about them, and they're not really too noticeable either.
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

jennielee81

#7 Post by jennielee81 »

I've had elastics for about 6 weeks also.

I left my appointment with them in my mouth and went right to work. I figured that if I didn't go right in with them, I would be flakey about wearing them for ever.

About getting used to them? OH YA, the other day I went to put them in and it was then that I noticed I already had them in. That's how "normal" they feel. :wink:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

kirst1583

#8 Post by kirst1583 »

About getting used to them? OH YA, the other day I went to put them in and it was then that I noticed I already had them in. That's how "normal" they feel. :wink:
LOL i've had issues like that too. I used to try and brush my teeth with my elastics still in. I'd wonder what I was hitting with the toothbrush and then realise.

alexa

#9 Post by alexa »

I've been wearing elastics for over a year now.

They're really no big deal. I wear them at work. No one even notices.

I take them out when I'm going to eat at a restaurant or big meal at home, but I leave them in for little snacking despite my ortho telling me to take them out when eating. Too much effort to take them out. :lol:

I've had that thing with forgetting that they're there and starting to brush my teeth.

Really, they're not that bad. You get used to them really fast.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

t3knophile

#10 Post by t3knophile »

I appreciate all of your comments. I'm currently on day 2 at work with my elastics on, and they are already beginning to feel pretty normal. I even brushed my teeth this morning with them in which really wasn't that big of a deal.

What do elastics do anyway? I believe it has something to do with my bite since my ortho was asking me to bite down just before he told me to start wearing them.

T4raegirl

#11 Post by T4raegirl »

i have been wearing them for the past two monthes...they are that bad at all.
*~*Live to LOVE and LOVE to live*~*
CSULB Class of 2010! Go Beach!
BrEa OlInDa HiGh ScHoOl ClaSs Of 2006!

Top Metal Braces: October 20, 2005
Lower Metal Braces: January 2006

[/url]