Elastics experts - molar pain?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fins

Elastics experts - molar pain?

#1 Post by fins »

I have elastics from molar to canine. All of a sudden, the molar is causing a lot of pain. It wasn't doing that several weeks ago. Is that normal?

Dark_angel

#2 Post by Dark_angel »

Yeah that seems fine, i experienced the same pain. Settled down in a few days, just ease up on the elastics.

Geri

#3 Post by Geri »

Fins - Hi!

Can I just get in a quick vent before I reply? I just got elastics from top canines to bottom first molar yesterday and - wow - spacers weren't this bad! Not to worry anyone, because we are all different, but my whole face hurt yesterday - I was sat with a hot water bottle held up to my jaw all afternoon, dosed up on tylenol (but I did have upper and lower powerchains for the first time and a heavier lower archwire added too). Yikes, what an adjustment!

Each tooth is now too sensitve to chew on and its back to a liquid diet for a few days. Sorry, back your question.....even if you have had elastics for a while (and are not new to then) and the tooth suddently started aching I wouldn't worry, they do seem to do that (ie start aching out of the blue for a few days before going back to normal). Hope you're feeling better soon.

:D
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

littleshaddies

#4 Post by littleshaddies »

The pain is normal. The first day I got elastics I got yet again my usual powerchains. The pain from the powerchain on its own was a killer but as I went to sleep every tooth was banging. Took the elastics off and didn't wear them for two days, to give the powerchains time to finish their torture. Put the elastics in after that and no much bother. I still get the odd day when teeth are sensitive from the elastics but if it gets too much I give myself a little break again from them. Anyway my ortho said yes on the question 'can i have the elastics off for 4 days as I am going on holiday and don't want to wear them then'. Take them out, they are not fixed and you don't have to put up with that kind of pain. Two days without them will not do any harm.
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

payoki

same here

#5 Post by payoki »

for me I have pain in my molar and canine where elastics are linked. I'm in pain and not only that, my canine became supersensitive that I can't drink anything hot or cold. I think the elastics I'm wearing is too strong but anyways despite all the pain and discomfort my teeth are definitely moveing. :lol:
mother of one.

Chris

Re: same here

#6 Post by Chris »

for me I have pain in my molar and canine where elastics are linked. I'm in pain and not only that, my canine became supersensitive that I can't drink anything hot or cold. I think the elastics I'm wearing is too strong but anyways despite all the pain and discomfort my teeth are definitely moveing. :lol:
I had the same thing. The pain subsided, thankfully after a few days. If your pain continues or worsens call the ortho. Perhaps he can give you different elastic sizes. I was given two sizes to try. If I could tolerate the easier ones, go on to the next.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Way Too Old For This

#7 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Besides my exposure surgery, getting elastics was the first time my teeth hurt bad enough to keep me awake. Putting them back on after having them off for a few hours was awful too. It gets better though.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.