why my braces have no lig?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

poloaa

why my braces have no lig?

#1 Post by poloaa »

I forgot to mention about my braces on friday that have no lig to require, when i asked the assistance if i need to choose any lig colour, she said that is the one that doesn't require any lig and also the better one w/faster progress, but i forgot to ask her what is the bracket called?? anyone knows?? thanks. So i feel little disappointed, lol.
35 years old, mom of two
Est. treatment time:16 months

poloaa

#2 Post by poloaa »

Hi everyone, i just find out that mine is called "damon 2" braces, anyone wearing this??
35 years old, mom of two

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

May I add that there are actually 2 kinds of Damons. Damon 3's are half clear, half metal, but the Damon 2's (the type paloaa has) are all metal.

I don't know what makes them different (asside from their appearance) and why orthos use one instead of the other. I have even read on here that some people have Damon 3's on top and Damon 2's on the bottom.

Welcome poloaa and keep us posted on your journey!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

poloaa

#4 Post by poloaa »

Yes, when the ortho asked me if i want clear or metal, i only said "metal" and i did not ask him anymore details, so i thought all the metal ones are the same, :wink: , then i found it from the web, mine is damon 2, all metal.
Thanks for your help, i think damon 3 look much smaller becus the half top are clear, but i don't care, i want to show off my braces to everyone, we should be proud of ourselves who have braces, :)

Po
35 years old, mom of two

Pirate Wench

#5 Post by Pirate Wench »

I don't have the Damon braces....I will be getting the GAC In-Ovation. They are along the same line as the Damon. They don't require ligs either and are supposed to be faster. You are also supposed to be able to go for longer periods between adjustments.

butterfly

#6 Post by butterfly »

" i want to show off my braces to everyone"

More power to you!!! :D :D
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

poloaa

#7 Post by poloaa »

My first adjustment will be on jun.16, about 5 weeks from first time i put on braces.
35 years old, mom of two

blackcat20

#8 Post by blackcat20 »

ah ha. I have the half clear damons on the top, and the fully metal ones on the bottom, with not a coloured lig in sight :D I didnt particularly want colours, and was freaking out about what to choose so that they wouldnt be too noticible, but turns out it wasnt an issue.

boxerinno

#9 Post by boxerinno »

i've heard that braces without ligs are much more better forr teeth. i.e. less bacteria is building up and colored food won't stick on them. so maybe we don't have nice colored ligs to make our metal mouths prettier, but sure do have healthier teeh - which is anyway more important.
:wink:
citius altius fortius

boxerinno

#10 Post by boxerinno »

An interesting thought boxerinno ... but I think if there was any truth in it, all our orthos would be using self ligating brackets.

My ortho did use damons ... but has stopped due to having too many problems with breakages and doors jamming ... plus other issues he didn't share with me.

Again this is a case of personal preference on the part of our trained professions, who will definitely offer us the best treatment possible. If your oral hygiene is good, there will not be an issue with type of brackets used!
look, i'm not into dentistry, but that makes sense. food particles (e.g. tiny molecules of simple sugar) can fall under the ligs while eating or drinking and maybe you're at a restaruant and won't brush your teeth in 30mins or so and there you go - heaven for acids which lead to cavity. it won't happen soon, but in a year or two of wearing braces these situations can/do repeat often. i, for example, always have small bottle of mouthwash with me, so i just skip to the toilet and flush my mouth and that's it - no build up.
this theory was brought to me by my ortho, backed by my aunt (who's a dentist herself) and by my ex (who's now graduating as a dentist). they don't know each other, so it's not a plot or smth.

at first i wanted to get white/clear braces (i thought it would be better for my working environment. but it's a fashion trend right now), but they all have convinced me to get these damon ones. and i gotta say, i've never had any problems eating peanuts, walnuts, popcorn, chewing gums and even enjoying yumm curry (gonna go prepare one now, ;) ) so far. but that also depends on how bad are your teeth positioned in the first place. whereas, almost all people i know who had whites ones have much more problems with breakages.

i do agree with you on the matter of good, no, perfect oral hygiene! 8)

lastly, dentists live from their patients and their problems. so i don't have to emphasize much on the fact that ligatures and braces in general bring more money in the long run, besides being a part of each bracket.
and hey, why did they invent braces without ligs, among others, but to minimze the risk of cavities and shorten the wearing period in the first place...
in the end, it's as you said, it's all matter of personal preference.

:)
citius altius fortius

jcdamon3

#11 Post by jcdamon3 »

lastly, dentists live from their patients and their problems. so i don't have to emphasize much on the fact that ligatures and braces in general bring more money in the long run, besides being a part of each bracket.
Actually I have to respectfully disagree with this. My ortho uses damons because he can make MORE money with them. 1) he charges more 2) he can have appointment further aparts

Adjustments are usually either a lig change or a wire change. With Damons since you don't have to have an appointment for just a lig change you can completely eliminate those appointments. That is why normally appointments with regular brackets are 4-6 weeks apart and with self ligating more like 8-10 weeks apart.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

boxerinno

#12 Post by boxerinno »

Actually I have to respectfully disagree with this. My ortho uses damons because he can make MORE money with them. 1) he charges more 2) he can have appointment further aparts

Adjustments are usually either a lig change or a wire change. With Damons since you don't have to have an appointment for just a lig change you can completely eliminate those appointments. That is why normally appointments with regular brackets are 4-6 weeks apart and with self ligating more like 8-10 weeks apart.
you didn't get me right. when you have more rubber (meaning ligatures here) and basically more metal/ceramic or whatever else in your mouth, hence the higher risk of faulty acids which lead to cavities. therefore, your teeth will most probably get more cavities in future. so the dentist will charge you more for doing new fillings. whether it's on a type of braces system or fixing a cavity or even doing a root canal, you name it. that's what i said above. i'm not saying dentists have this great and samaritan desire to save you/our money. oh come on, we all need money to survive and make a living, therefore it's just a question of one's personal common sense if he/she will put up with bad dentists/orthodontists who have even worse attitudes, have sky high prices and can't do their job right.

btw, i feel sorry you had to pay more for damon braces, because i've actually saved around 600 euro with this system. i guess i was lucky with that. oh, and i visit my ortho every two weeks.
citius altius fortius

jcdamon3

#13 Post by jcdamon3 »

so the dentist will charge you more for doing new fillings. whether it's on a type of braces system or fixing a cavity or even doing a root canal, you name it.
Sorry - gotta disagree again. My ortho and my dentist are in no way affiliated with each other and my ortho would not gain financially in any way by me getting a cavity. If you went to your dentist for ortho work, that may be why you are getting charged less.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Brandyleigh35

#14 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

I have to agree with the fact that self ligating brackets are better. Now I have never had metal ones, but I can tell you that I don't have near the problems with food getting stuck in them. I eat, I swish with water, do a little strategic sucking in certain spots, and I'm good to go. My son says the same thing about his, and that all of his friends who have metal have a lot more trouble keeping them clean. When I get my wires changed my ortho grabs the wire in the center where the crimp is and pulls towards him. The wire slides out of all the brackets and it is simply a matter of opening the doors on the brackets and inserting a new wire. Its very quick, and a lot less painful on sore teeth.

My son and I have Time 2 Self ligating brackets by American orthodontics. They are better at not collecting tarter, and are easy to open and close. The assistants at the orthos office always tell me how much they love these brackets when I go in for adjustments, as they are just so user friendly.

As for movement, both my son and I have seen tremendous movement in less than 3 months, and our adjustments are only done every 8 weeks instead of 5-6, so it saves running to the ortho all the time. I'm very pleased with my brackets, and totally think self ligating is the way to go. JMHO.

Brandy

Brandyleigh35

#15 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Oh Karen,
I haven't had any other brackets to compare with. I go to an ortho that pretty much services my entire area. I know a ton of kids from my school who have him, as well as several adults that do. All pretty much have metal brackets, unless you are like me and research things to death and request self ligating. My statements are strictly from comparing my treatment, and my sons, to all the people we know who are going to the same guy. He is very skilled but there does seem to my friends and I, and my sons friends as well that there is a distinct difference in our bracket experience. I'm certainly not saying that you can't get the same results with metal, just that from our experience it has been more pleasant and seems to be better.

As for hygeine I do agree nothing can beat out good oral hygiene. But sometimes it is just not possible or conveniant to clean your teeth. In those circumstances it seems that self ligating are easier to clean with limited resources like just water and a cup. I totally brush my teeth after eating because I think it is important, BUT with that being said, I certainly wouldn't or don't have to as the food just doesn't really hang onto the self ligating brackets. As I understand it, it is usually food getting caught in or around the ligs that is the problem with metal. With no ligs you don't have that problem. My son says his friend who have metal w/ligs have to brush after lunch as they always have food that gets stuck in them. He doesn't have this problem. It could just be the brand that we have...no idea, its just what I have noticed.

Brandy